Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Headline News 24/7 was definitely out of Atlanta, but with Headline News turning into HLN with opinion shows and such, lots of their stuff are from NY I think.
Some HLN shows that have anchors in other cities are still out of an Atlanta control room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,705 times
Quote:
They don't have a huge studio in Atlanta as far as I know. The reason I know this is because CNN Atlanta HQ was their last major headquarters to transition to full HD on tv. When I first got my HD box in 2007, all the shows from New York were in HD (Anderson Cooper, Lou Dobbs, etc.). The Situation Room with Blitzer was still in standard definition in DC, and CNN Newsroom from Atlanta was not in HD either.
There are several CNN and HLN studios in Atlanta. Visitors can view them on the Inside CNN Tours at CNN center.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
"It's not a competition to see who's FIRST --- it's about accuracy
One would think that after the Gore/Bush fiasco, most people would be highly suspect of any news agency that places an emphasis on being first to announce the winners of elections.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
One would think that after the Gore/Bush fiasco, most people would be highly suspect of any news agency that places an emphasis on being first to announce the winners of elections.
Absolutely right JPD! And for the record, that was MY statement repeated above about it being about accuracy, not a race ... Bellislerunner was simply quoting me. And on THIS topic I absolutely DO want credit!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 PM

643 posts, read 846,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Some HLN shows that have anchors in other cities are still out of an Atlanta control room.
Oh yeah I'm sure Atlanta is definitely the control center for all of CNN, but as far as where they're producing their shows, it seems they're slowly transitioning closer to Time Warner's HQ in New York.

DC and NY are their main political studios.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Default Brian

Quote:
Oh yeah I'm sure Atlanta is definitely the control center for all of CNN, but as far as where they're producing their shows, it seems they're slowly transitioning closer to Time Warner's HQ in New York.

HOWEVER ... it still remains infinitely cheaper to produce shows out of Atlanta rather than NY or DC. This is why Turner Broadcasting's presence in Atlanta has been greatly EXPANDED in Atlanta since Time Warner acquired the network. They've invested billions of dollars here and aren't going anywhere.

Look at it this way: Anderson Cooper may be sitting in a studio in Midtown Manhattan, but the folks telling him WHAT to say and WHEN to say it are sitting in downtown Atlanta.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 AM

643 posts, read 846,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
HOWEVER ... it still remains infinitely cheaper to produce shows out of Atlanta rather than NY or DC. This is why Turner Broadcasting's presence in Atlanta has been greatly EXPANDED in Atlanta since Time Warner acquired the network. They've invested billions of dollars here and aren't going anywhere.

Look at it this way: Anderson Cooper may be sitting in a studio in Midtown Manhattan, but the folks telling him WHAT to say and WHEN to say it are sitting in downtown Atlanta.
I don't know about that.

Usually control room likes to be in the same general vicinity as the studio just incase there are some technical difficulties.

Now the master network control may be in Atlanta, but I'm sure Anderson has his own producers and stuff in house (I know this because I know some of them ). Sanjay Gupta obviously lives in Atlanta, so anything with him is going to be out of there.

As for Turner investing billions in Atlanta, well I mean Atlanta is their birthplace. They've already got a huge foundation here. To invest in more property in New York and DC would be much more costly definitely. They can pretty much do whatever they want in Atlanta because of all the jobs they have.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:

Actually besides the situation room, the prime times shows and a few sunday shows most of CNN live air time is base in Atlanta. But because they drop American morning on the weekdays there's one more live hour in NY then Atlanta now, but Atlanta makes most of the weekends. CNN Newsroom hours are base in Atlanta. Fredricka Whitfield, Brooke Baldwin, Suzanne Malveaux, Don Lemon and etc etc. For 7 hours each day CNN newsroom airs live from Atlanta. Then the the situation room then the primetimes shows then CNN repeat the primetimes show until the morning. 2 hours NY, 7 hours ATL, 3 hours DC, 6 hours NY, then 6 hours primetime repeat that's 24 hours weekday.

Shot in Atlanta,

Weekdays 7 hours
9am - 11am: Carol Costello
11am - 12pm: Ashleigh Banfield
12pm - 1pm: Suzanne Malveaux (Newsroom International)
1pm - 2pm: Suzanne Malveaux
2pm - 4pm: Brooke Baldwin

The weekend is a much different story

Saturday 11.5 hours
6a-7:30a Early Start Weekend
7:30a-9:30a CNN Saturday Morning
10am - 12pm: Randi Kaye
12pm - 1pm: Fredricka Whitfield
2pm - 4:30pm: Fredricka Whitfield
4:30p-5p Sanjay Gupta MD
5pm - 6pm: Don Lemon
7pm - 8pm: Don Lemon
10pm - 11pm: Don Lemon

Sunday 8.5 hours
6am -7:30am Early Start Weekend
8am -9am CNN Sunday Morning
2:30pm - 3:00pm: Fredricka Whitfield
2p-2:30p The Next List
4pm - 6pm: Fredricka Whitfield
6pm - 8pm: Don Lemon
10pm - 11pm: Don Lemon

With HLN it's pretty much the same thing, except it's double Atlanta's live air time on weekdays. Most of the HLN primetime shows are not based in Atlanta either but of most the live air time from 6 AM to 7 PM is, plus Nancy Grace's hour. That's 14 live hours a day shot in the CNN center airing on HLN. Keep in mind much like the regular CNN the pimetime shows on HLN are repeated, so only 4 live hours are actually not shot in Atlanta.

Atlanta based
HLN News Now
Morning Express
Evening Express
Nancy Grace

I'm not going to add the CNN International hours because their shows are shot everywhere but Atlanta is still the most common setting. DC is where federal politicians are it's easier getting politicians coming instead of over using satellite. NY advantage is prime time because Atlanta would be going out the way compared to the rest of the media. I remember when MTV had TRL rappers, singers, and actors would leave and go right to 106 and park, to continue promoting. This is why even though BET is locate in DC and most of there's shows are now based in Atlanta, there primetime show 106 is still in NY. CNN is doing the same thing with their prime time slots, however most of their live productions and shows are still based in the CNN center unlikely to change.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 AM

NYC will always be the preferred broadcast center for ALL American television channels / networks, and DC the one for politics. If not for the massive investment Ted Turner made in Atlanta before the Time Warner merger, CNN and the other networks would undoubtedly have moved a long time ago.

The real loser in all this is LA. Because of the time difference, live broadcasting of news OR entertainment programming has never been feasible there (some people still don't know that the Tonight Show is taped LOL!). They've always dominated in TV series and film production, but as we all know of course, even that has now been greatly reduced.

Atlanta is the nation's 3rd largest media production city any way you slice it. IMPRESSIVE!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
Anderson Cooper may be sitting in a studio in Midtown Manhattan, but the folks telling him WHAT to say and WHEN to say it are sitting in downtown Atlanta.
I'm not sure if by this you meant that the producers and directors who are actually telling Anderson what to do are in Atlanta....because they're not.

But I think what you meant is that something more important is in Atlanta: executive leadership. The people who tell Anderson Cooper whether his contract will be renewed, how much he will be paid, and what shows are on the air are in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta