Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM

28 posts, read 68,669 times

Advertisements

What type of people live in Norcross and also Duluth? I here they are the most diverse in the area and very multicultural. Is this true? We are moving from PA but my husband is from UK originally. How do you compare the two places, such as the feel or vibe? Could you give me a little detail on the two? Which one is more socailable and friendly?
Any info would be helpful.

Last edited by winetime; 11-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: repost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,563,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winetime View Post
What type of people live in Norcross and also Duluth? I here they are the most diverse in the area and very multicultural. Is this true? We are moving from PA but my husband is from UK originally. How do you compare the two places, such as the feel or vibe? Could you give me a little detail on the two? Which one is more socailable and friendly?
Any info would be helpful.
w-t, I'm doing this from 1000 miles away, so I'll be brief and let others chime in. In VERY general terms, you'll likely find more areas of Norcross to be industrial with heavy traffic, slightly older housing stock and home to thousands of residents who don't actually know where 'Norcross' is. On the other hand, Duluth is farther from Atlanta proper, 'slightly' less industrial, many areas of newer housing stock(called sprawl in some cities) and thousands of residents who don't know where 'Duluth' is. Both areas are filled with industrial pockets, office parks, SFH, condos, apts, shopping centers, traffic, traffic, and did I mention traffic?

You'll almost need to look at the particular neighborhoods you're considering. The two cities don't adjoin one another; but you' likely have trouble determining which city you are in as you drive from one to the other.

You can get an actual breakdown of population if you peruse the City-Data pages:
//www.city-data.com/city/Duluth-Georgia.html

I don't know how much this illustrates 'diversity', but it gives some raw numbers to look at.
Good luck with your search.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,941,604 times
Norcross is certainly diverse as is Duluth but it kinda depends on which part(city proper, NE side SE side, etc). I'm sure someone can help you find actual statistics for demographics in the area.
If I had to choose a place to live I'd go with Duluth. But mainly on the east side of Duluth towards Suwanee. You've got the Gwinnett Center there (ECHL hockey team there) and Discover Mills nearby. Mall of Georgia not too far away either. If you want to focus on diversity and multicultural there are other areas of Atlanta to consider. Some more urban and some more suburban. Plenty of choices it just depends on what else you're looking for in a community.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 AM

738 posts, read 1,378,413 times
I strongly recommend you visit both places in person. Drive around for a day or so in each place, get an idea of the vibe and the options you'd have in both places. Both cities have great parts and not so great parts.

FWIW, my husband is also from the UK and when he first moved to GA he landed in Duluth

Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Great Thanks! That's cool your husband British too

Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM

738 posts, read 1,378,413 times
Be sure you visit downtown Norcross and check out Taste of Britain

Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM

ok we are here so will check it out

Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM

4,063 posts, read 2,143,873 times
Hi Winetime,

I live in Gwinnett (Lawrenceville, right by Duluth/Sugarloaf (Discover Mills). Let me know if I can be of any help. Either Norcross or Duluth are nice places to live. Both have cute downtowns. There are a couple of rough/in transition neighborhoods in Norcross. Some of the nicer Norcross areas are now part of a new city named Peachtree Corners. Don't think you'd go wrong with either one. Gwinnett is fun because of lots of ethnic diversity and great parks.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,810 times
I live in Norcross. The downtown is very nice, easy to walk around in, and has two nice parks and a bunch of diverse restaurants. The area south of downtown is the Jimmy Carter boulevard area..its older, more industrial, but also very diverse with a large south asian population and many unique restaurants. The area north of downtown segues into the newer more expensive Peachtree Parkway road anchored by Technology Park which provides many tech sector jobs and a very nice open air mall called The Forum. The houses here are nicer and more expensive. This links Norcross to Duluth and then further north to Johns Creek. I like living in Norcorss and suggest you give it a look.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:15 PM

4 posts, read 15,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Hi Winetime,

I live in Gwinnett (Lawrenceville, right by Duluth/Sugarloaf (Discover Mills). Let me know if I can be of any help. Either Norcross or Duluth are nice places to live. Both have cute downtowns. There are a couple of rough/in transition neighborhoods in Norcross. Some of the nicer Norcross areas are now part of a new city named Peachtree Corners. Don't think you'd go wrong with either one. Gwinnett is fun because of lots of ethnic diversity and great parks.
If I may ask for your help...My husband just began working at Sugarloaf Parkway and 85. We've been looking in the Duluth and Suwanee areas. We're now considering the Discover Mills area. I'd appreciate it if you could PM any info and regarding neighborhoods around Discover Mills. We expect to rent a house for a year, as we try to rent/sell our house in Athens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta