Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,705 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern Va, DC sub-burbs. Life is great here, but I have an awesome work opportunity lined up in Atlanta. I am worried as to how different the city is going to be, I have my entire family here in NOVA, I grew up here and it will take a lot of me to leave everything behind for pursuing this nice promotional opportunity. I am in my early 30's, no kids, have a wife who is willing to move with me. I am not sure if it will be the best decision to leave the comfort level of living. How different would Atlanta be, what kind of challenges will it bring. I am completely confused when it comes to making this decision, it seems like everything is happening way to fast. I have tried consulting a few, but they say that the best advice should come from me myself and no one else. Would you recommend that I fly there and see how things are. Would you guys would have taken this step? I am open to any advice from you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Move

If u regret it

Move back

If not, stay

The end

Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Fly down and check it out. Your cost of living may be lower here, and we maybe get snow/ice once a year.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Fly down and check it out.
There ya go.

Realize that you already have two significant things going against a move to Atlanta. Moving away from family and enjoying your current location. Is this opportunity worth giving those things up? If so, then the difference b/t Atlanta and DC is not so drastic that you will hate life down here.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
sometimes its not about the money or job opportunity. Family is more important. If you are comfortable where you are...why move?

I know sometimes we need a change...but moving on job opportunity alone? Hmmm I would give it some serious consideration.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
The nice thing is, it is a short and usually cheap flight between Atlanta and DC. You can visit family very often if you want to. The cost of living here is lower, and there is just as much to do here with sports and concerts as DC.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
There isn't a pro hockey team to be fair. I didn't love Atlanta already it would be a deal killer.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 PM

163 posts, read 431,433 times
I moved here from northern Jersey (30 miles outside of Manhattan) three months ago. There was very little I didn't like about my life there: I grew up in the area, family was close, I have a huge network of friends there, I'd owned my condo for 18 years, I rented a shore house every year for the last 20. (I am a single female, age 43.)

And then I got a fabulous job offer down here in Atlanta.

I knew almost immediately that I would take it. As much as I loved my life in New Jersey, the thought of picking up and trying something new--especially for a job that I thought would be amazing (I'd had a few over the last several years that were not amazing)--was incredibly appealing. I had gone through three months of interviews when the offer came, only one of those being in Atlanta (others were phone and Skype).

In the end, that lure of the new, combined with a great relocation package, did it for me. I signed on the dotted line, figuring that nothing is forever if you don't want it to be. There's always a flight back, another job, and my friends to come back to if I want.

I have not regretted the move. The job really is as good as I thought, and I'm enjoying my life in Atlanta. I've found the people to be open and friendly (I'd been concerned about overt friendliness, but I'm finding I like it), and I'm having a great time exploring the different areas of the city. Atlanta is different from New York, or Boston--more spread out, definitely not as city-like, if that's what you're used to--but it has its own charms.

Yeah, of course I get bummed out sometimes, missing my friends--but the flights are frequent, fast, and not all that expensive. Sometimes, I miss the Jersey sensibility, and I haven't found a great neighborhood bar or Italian food yet. But all of that will come in time, and half the fun is getting out there and exploring. If I'm here on a weekend, I drive around, learn the lay of the land, try new bars and restaurants. I joined the Botanical Garden. I go to meetups.

I've been in corporate apartment in Buckhead, and today I arranged to lease a place I love in Inman Park for six months. (I'm not a huge fan of Buckhead--but that's another adventure, and I don't regret having lived here for a few months.) I hope to buy in that area after then.

Anyway, that's just my experience, but as a recent transplant, I guess I could sum it up by saying you should follow your gut and what you really want. You can always go back--but will you regret not trying something different? It's been a lot of fun. Definitely come for a visit, but in the end, I think it's just as much a gut decision.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
It all depends on who you are.

Me? I wouldn't do it. Not if you already love your life. But you know, I don't know what your industry is like. If you have the kind of job where if you come to Atlanta and hate it, it's relatively easy to get right back to NOVA, then why not? But if you're like most people where once you leave a job, you'll have to work and hustle to get back there, I don't know if it's worth it. I mean, I know a lot of people dying to get back to (insert name of hometown here) but they can't because they can't find work there. That's my industry, I don't know what yours is like.

So I would say if it would be relatively easy for you to move back whenever you want to, sure, why not? If you think it would be hard to ever get back there, why would you give up a social and family network? You know, your friends will keep on keeping on without you while your gone and you might find that the distance between you grows. It's not as easy to make new friends in your 30s as it used to be! Also, if you decide to have kids, don't you want family around? Nevermind free babysitting, but don't you want your kids to have close relationships with grandparents, cousins, aunts and unlces, etc. instead of just seeing them once or twice a year?

If you're unhappy, then I'd say sure, why not move? But if you're totally happy where you are, why would you give up a sure thing for the unknown? I mean, if you feel trapped in your job and this is the only way to move up, then yeah you've got to do it....but if a similar opportunity will come up there in a year or two, I'd wait for it. But that's me. I think blood is thicker than water and at the end of the day nobody ever said I wish I earned more money or I wish I spent more time at the office, but plenty of people say I wish I had a better relationship with my family and spent more time with my kids.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
If you're from the Alexandria or Arlington area check out Alpharetta or Johns Creek. I think you would find the most seamless transition that way. The commute will be burdensome though.

A visit is a must, but a little google maps run may help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta