Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
On average, yes.

Among people who have kids, the parents who marry are more likely to be future-time oriented planners and the parents who don't marry are more likely to be short-term thinkers looking for immediate gratification.

Also, people who don't have kids are less concerned about the stability of society since they don't have a personal stake in the future. They are less likely to think about the destabilizing effects of policy changes, like no-fault divorce or gay adoption.

I hope you weren't serious when you asked me if parents who spend more time on their kids are more responsible than parents who spend less time on their kids.
I think he was trying to say "people who don't want to have kids." Not people who have kids but just don't want to take care of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
OP, you are surprised that overwhelmingly white far distant fringe metro counties would vote for the modern Confederates?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:04 PM

492 posts, read 791,185 times
Quote:
On average, yes.

Among people who have kids, the parents who marry are more likely to be future-time oriented planners and the parents who don't marry are more likely to be short-term thinkers looking for immediate gratification.

Also, people who don't have kids are less concerned about the stability of society since they don't have a personal stake in the future. They are less likely to think about the destabilizing effects of policy changes, like no-fault divorce or gay adoption.

I hope you weren't serious when you asked me if parents who spend more time on their kids are more responsible than parents who spend less time on their kids.

Lets back up and try this again.

1. Never said anything about good or bad parent nor anything about marriage.
You implied that people who have kids period are more responsible then those who choose not to have that burden and that is total crap.

2. You said people who lived in apartments were less responsible then those who take out huge loans on a mortgage. That is also total crap.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
2. You said people who lived in apartments were less responsible then those who take out huge loans on a mortgage. That is also total crap.
No, it's merely the truth.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
I don't know how OP's question about political conservatism could be answered in non-political terms.

Correct. Similarly, there are many wealthy people who are not educated. That doesn't change the fact that, on average, educated people are much more likely to become wealthy.

On average, people who plan their life tend to vote Republican while people who don't plan their life tend to vote Democrat.

Also, people who have trouble with simple mathematical concepts like averages and statistical outliers tend to be more easily fooled into believing liberal smokescreens that are used to obscure real social patterns.
I've found that highly educated people tend to veer Democrat in general, while traditional/religious people and old-money business people tend to veer Republican.

I find some of your statements insulting, frankly. Minnesota and Massachusetts vote majority Democrat on a fairly consistent basis for a reason, and it isn't a lack of planning. That would be ... Georgia!

If a person assumes that people are generally good and that collective efforts can sometimes provides real benefits, I've found that person generally tends to lean Democrat.

If, on the other hand, a person believes that people are generally evil and must be controlled, and that collective efforts are little more than attempts to leverage control away from individuals, then I've found that person tends to lean towards the Republican party.

A bit simplistic, obviously, but I've also found many conservatives to be reactive rather than proactive.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I find some of your statements insulting, frankly.
I'm not surprised. Liberals are often people who carry emotional baggage and prefer to try to reshape society to conform to their deviancy from the norm rather than addressing their own issues. When I present observations and facts to liberals, their reaction is usually emotional rather than analytical. This thread is a good example.

Some of the responses to me have been so hysterical that they are indecipherable.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,374 times
Those areas (and north Fulton county too) are a bastion of evangelical Christianity, and it is mega-church city up there. There is your reason. Nothing to do with race.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
OP, you are surprised that overwhelmingly white far distant fringe metro counties would vote for the modern Confederates?
It's almost as if they have some kind of biological instinct to oppose the genocide of their own people.

Quote:
Genocide is the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group
And the settlers seem to instinctively enjoy mocking the existing people and their culture.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:35 PM

225 posts, read 369,129 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised. Liberals are often people who carry emotional baggage and prefer to try to reshape society to conform to their deviancy from the norm rather than addressing their own issues. When I present observations and facts to liberals, their reaction is usually emotional rather than analytical. This thread is a good example.

Some of the responses to me have been so hysterical that they are indecipherable.
I am still waiting on facts to back your claim???

Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 PM

492 posts, read 791,185 times
Quote:

Strange how the most highly educated states and individuals vote democrat/liberal.

Aside from that do you have any credible non biase sources for your claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta