Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 AM

27 posts, read 148,458 times

Advertisements

There is also a Woodsdale Drive near Lenox--it has many large single family homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 14,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allytad View Post
I would say go with your gut. If something doesn't "feel" right then just don't do it. Find another agency or another family.
allytad,

In two or three days,I'll give my final decision.At the moment I'm hesitating to decide something as the family offers good conditions(we will see it later)
In general I'm interested in coming to the USA. May be I'll not join this family but it's possible to find another family.
Actually,being an Aupair in Germany I have some knowledge about this documentation procedures.In my first case my current host families agency sent me a contract and the invitation of the family.I took these documents went to the german embassy,submitted them and the very day there was an interview with german counsul.Interwiew is very imporant as during it it's getting clear the details of the applican's visit to the foreign state,then in 7 weeks(it is a waiting period) I was granted with a visa.
But in this case according to the agent any interview in the embassy will not take place.But,I can not imagine that!And by him there is no need to go back to my home country to be issued with the visa.
I talked here in Germany with my current families agent on the phone and she advised me to be a little cautious about these matters.In the first place an embassy should be involved because then can be not any problem as by the embassy everything-both family and agency is proved.And I should make sure that the visa is a J1 visa(non-immigrant visa for exchange visitors ) but not any tourist visa.
And first of all,I must make sure whether the family is living in the address they gave me(thanks to your posts I was sure that this street exists in Atlanta,at the beginning I was not sure even of its existence),and get information about this agency's activities,but as the family members are british citizens the agency is situated in Belfast.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:45 PM

88 posts, read 512,103 times
Try zillow.com. You should be able to enter the address and get an aerial view of the area. If it is new it is possible that it's not in there though but worth a try.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 PM

483 posts, read 2,096,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaktika View Post
But in this case according to the agent any interview in the embassy will not take place.But,I can not imagine that!And by him there is no need to go back to my home country to be issued with the visa.
According to the US government, you do have to visit the US consulate in your home country.
Since the US is the one issuing the visa, I think I would take their word instead of someone else's.

Quote:
I talked here in Germany with my current families agent on the phone and she advised me to be a little cautious about these matters.In the first place an embassy should be involved because then can be not any problem as by the embassy everything-both family and agency is proved.And I should make sure that the visa is a J1 visa(non-immigrant visa for exchange visitors ) but not any tourist visa.
Is your agency one of these eleven agencies?
Au pair visa requirements for the US

Quote:
And first of all,I must make sure whether the family is living in the address they gave me(thanks to your posts I was sure that this street exists in Atlanta,at the beginning I was not sure even of its existence),and get information about this agency's activities,but as the family members are british citizens the agency is situated in Belfast.
All of this (especially the private information you sent me) leads me to believe something is VERY, VERY wrong about this whole thing. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS unless all questions can be cleared up.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
There's also a Woodale Drive off South Cobb Drive in Smyrna.
Doesn't match the zip code I was given.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead mom View Post
There is also a Woodsdale Drive near Lenox--it has many large single family homes.
None match the street # I was given.
Looking bad, isn't it?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,951,584 times
There is a Woodvale Drive off of Davis Dr. in Buckhead

Old 10-17-2007, 03:59 AM

As it was clarified thanks to irvm there is everything wrong with this family.Yes,there is a street in Atlanta callled Wooddale Drive,but the address they gave me is wrong.
I am going risks and have definitely changed my mind to come.It appeares my bad feelings proved to be true.
I am very thankful to everyone who tried to help and who gave me their advice.
However,at the end I have not lost anything,on the contrary I winned!Up to this moment I was unaware that there is such a forum,but now what I know is that this forum is fantastic and the members are cool and friendly!
I will not leave the forum in spite of the fact I am not american citizen and have no idea what is going on in the daily life of its states.But,I will keep attending this forum to communicate with its wonderful members!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,747,099 times
Do you have any other friends who are au pairs in Atlanta? I'm sure there are other members of this forum who can recommend another agency. I would definitely contact one of these so you can get a better sense of how they work and if this is the right place for you. There is nothing worse than traveling overseas to a family if you are unsure of your own safety. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Do you have any other friends who are au pairs in Atlanta? I'm sure there are other members of this forum who can recommend another agency. I would definitely contact one of these so you can get a better sense of how they work and if this is the right place for you. There is nothing worse than traveling overseas to a family if you are unsure of your own safety. Best of luck to you.
No,I dont have any friends in Atlanta.I also hope that members of the forum will recommend me a reliable agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta