Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The job of a MAN is to protect his family
This is the silliest thing I have read in a while. Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
Do you really think that someone is not a man because they don't have a gun in their house? It seems to me looking at statistics that the rest of the first world does a better job of protecting their familes without a gun in sight.
This is what I think most of the gun argument boils around. Weak-minded people who think they aren't a MAN if they don't have guns. And to prove their MANliness, they talk about guns. A lot. And own guns. And obsess about guns. It makes them a MAN. In fact, most of the guys I know who obsess about their supposed MANliness, and are constantly trying to prove how manly they are, are also obsessive about guns. And I think tony above just proved that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
But why do you need to target shoot? To practice being able to kill or harm something or someone with efficiency.
No, I believe people do it just for its own sake. I am a quiet person with pacifist tendencies, and I was shocked to discover how much fun it is to shoot a really big rifle, watch what looks like a fireball fly out of the barrel, and hear it go "BOOM". When done with proper training and precautions, it's harmless. But being able to defend one's home or family efficiently -- without hurting someone else by mistake -- is a nice side benefit.

Quote:
If you want to practice shoot, why not do it with a bb gun or a paintball or something?
You'll shoot your eye out.

Quote:
The only thing I can see guns for is for recreational hunting.
Right. Other people have different views. BTW, not all hunting is recreational. All of the hunters I know actually eat what they kill.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
This is what I think most of the gun argument boils around. Weak-minded people who think they aren't a MAN if they don't have guns. And to prove their MANliness, they talk about guns. A lot. And own guns. And obsess about guns. It makes them a MAN. In fact, most of the guys I know who obsess about their supposed MANliness, and are constantly trying to prove how manly they are, are also obsessive about guns. And I think tony above just proved that point.
Hm. What about the WOMEN who shoot, own guns, talk about guns, obsess about guns? There are plenty of them out there.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
But why do you need to target shoot? To practice being able to kill or harm something or someone with efficiency.

If you want to practice shoot, why not do it with a bb gun or a paintball or something?

I'm playing the advocate here and seeing if there truly is a rationale behind wanting to keep guns.

The only thing I can see guns for is for recreational hunting.

My beliefs are that regardless of whether or not you put gun laws, shootings and violence will still exist...however, limiting guns may reduce the number of times it happens. By how much, well, we won't know that unless it is done.
You're forgetting about personal protection. Not everyone lives in a gated community with a police precinct right at the gate.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:23 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You're forgetting about personal protection. Not everyone lives in a gated community with a police precinct right at the gate.
But if there were limited guns, wouldn't there be less of a need for personal protection? Look at Japan. Very low crime and murder rate and they have strict gun laws.

This is logical stuff.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 PM

454 posts, read 821,498 times
Quote:
I live intown with no gate or guards with two young kids and seem to survive fine without carrying a gun. The only people I know personally killed by a gun was a co-worker who killed him self by accident cleaning his gun. Don't know anyone shot ever in a home invasion.

Anyone who seriously thinks they need a gun for self protection is deluded. The statisitics tell the story that a gun in the house raises the risk of a gun death over all in the household by accidents, suicide and the owner being shot with there own gun or the gun stolen/sold to be used in another crime. Everything else is macho BS and fear selling by NRA and other vested interests.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
But if there were limited guns, wouldn't there be less of a need for personal protection? Look at Japan. Very low crime and murder rate and they have strict gun laws.

This is logical stuff.
After the last tsunami, the organized crime syndicates were assisting the police, and providing un-compensated aid to those in need. It's a very different culture over there. Plus, the only realistic way to limit the total number of legal and illegal guns available, would be to go back in time to limit them from the beginning, like other countries with similar guns restrictions were able to do. Also, Japan is an island. You can pretty well seal off an island and keep things from getting in and out like the UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
I live intown with no gate or guards with two young kids and seem to survive fine without carrying a gun. The only people I know personally killed by a gun was a co-worker who killed him self by accident cleaning his gun. Don't know anyone shot ever in a home invasion.
I'm sorry for the loss of your co-worker. But it's nice that you live in a safe area. Not everyone does, and not everyone can just move to the safe areas. Some people also have jobs, or pass through areas on their way to their job, that are very unsafe.
Quote:
Anyone who seriously thinks they need a gun for self protection is deluded. The statisitics tell the story that a gun in the house raises the risk of a gun death over all in the household by accidents, suicide and the owner being shot with there own gun or the gun stolen/sold to be used in another crime. Everything else is macho BS and fear selling by NRA and other vested interests.
I note you state the statistics for a gun in the house and accidental deaths, but not for self-defense. Please give something other than wild hyperbole and accusations.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Hm. What about the WOMEN who shoot, own guns, talk about guns, obsess about guns? There are plenty of them out there.
Trying to impress MEN?

Quote:
Plus, the only realistic way to limit the total number of legal and illegal guns available, would be to go back in time to limit them from the beginning, like other countries with similar guns restrictions were able to do.
And this is the real point to be made. We've gone too far, and will likely never be able to go back. Like it or not, we are a gun society now. Some people see that as the best thing ever, no matter if we have hundreds of times as many gun deaths as other first world countries. Others see that as a terrible thing. I see it as terrible, but I don't think there is a real way to fix it. Banning them won't fix anything. Arming everyone won't fix anything. The best we can do is restrict and regulate the crap out of them. We'll most likely just stay screwed up like we are.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 PM

454 posts, read 821,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Trying to impress MEN?

And this is the real point to be made. We've gone too far, and will likely never be able to go back. Like it or not, we are a gun society now. Some people see that as the best thing ever, no matter if we have hundreds of times as many gun deaths as other first world countries. Others see that as a terrible thing. I see it as terrible, but I don't think there is a real way to fix it. Banning them won't fix anything. Arming everyone won't fix anything. The best we can do is restrict and regulate the crap out of them. We'll most likely just stay screwed up like we are.
Agreed restrict and regulate is the first step. Hopefully there is now the momentum to do it nationally/federally even if backwards places like Kennesaw don't want to.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 PM

254 posts, read 419,433 times
Wow, Piers Morgan has a lot of fans on the Atlanta Forums.
If someone has gone through a backround check and is clean of mental illness or ANY crime, even if it was a fist fight-let them have a gun.

Also, I know CNN is based in Atlanta but PLEASE don't let some brit like Piers convince you that we must ban semi-autos and automatic weapons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta