Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 PM

61 posts, read 189,526 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the Chicago area and moved to Richmond, VA with my husband ten years ago for his job. We have two young children. He now has a possibility to move to Peachtree City, GA for his job. On the one hand I am excited to possibly get out of Richmond. In all this time I have never felt like I remotely belong in this city. Of course after ten years I have fondness and attachment to it but in general, it has not been a wonderful experience being here. But I am also a little scared of change and scared to start our lives over in Peachtree City.

Is it a friendly place? Are there a fair amount of northern transplants there? (Richmond is not very welcoming to northerners I've found). What is life like in PTC? I know about the golf cart paths, which seems so foreign to me but I'm sure I would grow to like it. Is there lots for kids to do (sports, dance, etc...). My son is into ice hockey now and I don't see any ice rinks anywhere remotely nearby!

Also, I wonder about nature/outdoors things in that area. I love the location of Richmond with the proximity to the ocean and mountains. I would REALLY miss that. Atlanta looks so land-locked. Is there much to do there outdoors-wise?

The schools in PTC sound like they're very good so that's a big plus.

Thank you in advance for ANY help you can offer while we try to make the decision to move or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
P'tree City is a great choice for famillies with children and those transplanted from other places -- as most folks are in the same boat as you.

Ice Hockey is just starting to attract players here. There is a rink on the southside of Atlanta. Call them and inquire. In general, across metro Atlanta there is far more demand than supply.

IceForum

There is also inline skate hockey as well.

Peachtree City Hockey Association | The Official Site For Peachtree City Inline Hockey

You could contact them and inquire about ice hockey. I imagine they know whats up.

The mountains are a couple of hours away and there are some large lakes not to far away. I think Peachtree City has an extensive walking path system.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:07 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Move. You won't regret it. Not one issue you raised is cause for concern. Peachtree City is probably the best town in America for young families to live and you fit the bill perfectly. This isn't empty propaganda (I don't live there) just fact. No need to waste your time and worry on a decision so obvious and sure. Good luck and welcome to Georgia!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
from what i hear there's a lot of yankees living in peachtree city— it's really suburban. as for outdoors, the blue ridge mountains are right on the north side of atlanta, plus you've got all kinds of stuff along the chattahoochee, you've got hiking trails at some of the granite outcroppings (stone mountain, panola mountain), and we're starting to really have a lot of biking trails across the metro area.

down here there isn't really a backlash against northerners, there's so many of them... most that live in metro atlanta are not from here. it's really diverse, no one really cares where you're from, as long as you've got manners and learn to eat grits.

good luck and welcome to georgia!

(by the way, don't actually look for trees that peaches grow on, you know, REAL peach trees. that's over in south carolina. go figure. )

Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 AM

33 posts, read 94,763 times
I live in the suburbs north of Atlanta, but I've been to Peachtree City several times. It seems like a nice, family oriented place. It is sort of in the middle of nowhere, not right off the interstate, and a bit of a drive from the city. I would not move there and commute to downtown Atlanta every day, but it will be perfect for you if your husband's job is in PTC.

I don't know about PTC specifically, but the northern suburbs with good schools seem full of transplants because that is the type of community families often look for when they move to Atlanta. I am originally from up north as well, and I don't notice a backlash against northerners in Atlanta and my suburb like there exists in other parts of the south.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 AM

Wow, thank you for all the wonderful replies, you guys are great!! I find myself getting more excited now. We won't find out officially if we'll be asked to move until around May but I'm really hoping it goes that way. Please keep the comments coming if anyone else has anything to add!

I did look up the ice rinks...but both appeared to be an hour away from PTC, yikes! My husband also plays hockey on a men's league so hoping we can find something not too inconvenient.

I do wish PTC was a bit closer to Atlanta proper, I miss the city life of Chicago and would be excited to be near a big city again. Luckily the commute won't be a problem as my husband's job would actually be in Peachtree City.

Ooh, really about peach trees not even being in Georgia?? That seems weird!

Thank you again for all your help, it is SO appreciated!!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Peachtree City only "feels" out in the middle of nowhere. It's just as close to downtown and midtown as all the most popular and overdeveloped suburbs on the north side -- and closer than places like Cumming, Canton, Lawrenceville, Acworth. Plus, you'll be less than 20 minutes to Hartsfield-Jackson, the world's busiest airport with more direct flights to more cities in more countries on more continents than any other airport in the nation!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 PM

43 posts, read 90,558 times
As someone who has actually lived there, here is my personal experience(my own opinion). I moved there as a kid due to my family's employment situation. I did not adjust well as I felt like an outsider from the start and my classmates judged me based on how much money they perceived my family to have.

I found the schools to be kind of hit and miss. This was definitely the case for McIntosh High with the Science and especially the Math departments leaving much to be desired (many teachers in the Math department seemed to still have a job only because they coached winning sports teams). My first year German teacher was a joke (and thankfully was fired) but luckily, my 2nd and 3rd year German teacher made up for her. The Social Science department was the major bright spot at the school and eventually led me to choose that field of study in college.

Some other aspects of Peachtree City that I found to be less than desirable were: 1) lack of a town square/downtown focal point, 2) lack of alternate forms of transportation other than a car (highways 54 and 74 seem to get quite backed up during rush hour/ also, while golf carts may be fine for traveling within the city, there is not real alternate for of transportation in and out of the city (and golf carts seem to be quite expensive to own anyway). 3) Too conservative, and in many instances anti-growth, for my taste 4) Not really suited for many teenagers or young adults. 5) I never felt that strong sense of community that others sometimes describe.

While it may be a viable option for some families (maybe yourself included) who enjoy that lifestyle, it definitely was not for me and I just don't see it as being the perfect place many describe it to be.

Give me Decatur anyday!!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM

Thank you for your insight Mr. Ted. It gives me a lot to think about. The honest truth is, I want to live back in the midwest. It's just ME and I don't feel totally at home in the south. I'm also not into keeping up with the Joneses and I hate when people judge others based on their family's money-which is a problem here in Richmond/our neighborhood. I want so much more for my kids than a cookie-cutter mindset where all people care about are money and athletics...don't get me wrong, my kids are in organized sports/activities but I don't push them at ALL, it's all about just having fun, we're not remotely overly vested in it. I don't care much for Richmond and not sure about PTC....wish I could go back to Chicago where there are white and blue collar folks mixed in together. More ethnic and religious groups....diversity in family income.

I hope if we move to PTC my kids do not feel like outsiders! The thought makes me extremely sad. I'm sorry that happened to you and it just goes to show also, that even when schools are bragged about as "the best", it is all subjective.

Anyone else have firsthand experience with Peachtree City?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM

33 posts, read 94,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Peachtree City only "feels" out in the middle of nowhere. It's just as close to downtown and midtown as all the most popular and overdeveloped suburbs on the north side -- and closer than places like Cumming, Canton, Lawrenceville, Acworth. Plus, you'll be less than 20 minutes to Hartsfield-Jackson, the world's busiest airport with more direct flights to more cities in more countries on more continents than any other airport in the nation!
Actually, there are several popular northern suburbs that are closer to downtown Atlanta - East Cobb, Roswell, and Dunwoody are quite a bit closer; and Kennesaw, Alpharetta and Johns Creek are somewhat closer. I used to work in midtown, which is 20 miles from my house and 35 miles from Peachtree City. That is a significant difference in commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta