Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times

Advertisements

East Cobb seems rock solid to me. Why would it go downhill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:13 AM

21 posts, read 82,255 times
East Cobb certainly doesn't appear "doomed" to me. I have been an East Cobb resident for 17 years, and the main concern I have is traffic, especially in the Merchant Walk area. The traffic on both Johnson Ferry and Roswell road, leading into the intersection of both roads, has continued to get worse. That is due, of course, to the continued building of new stores like Whole Foods, which is good overall for the area, but it's starting to resemble the Barrett Parkway area of Kennesaw. In any event, the schools (Walton, Pope, Lassister) continue to get high marks as far as public schools go, and, as stated, the addition of more retail space makes it a very good place to live. The East Cobb Park was a great addition, and I-75 is close by and an easy way to downtown or out of town. It's still lacking some of the better restaurants and shopping you'll find in Atlanta, but it's as good an area to live in the Atlanta suburbs as anywhere, in my opinion.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:04 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
East Cobb seems rock solid to me. Why would it go downhill?
'Rock Solid' is the same term that came to my mind. You can't underestimate the popularity of this community. My friends that live there wouldn't live any where else.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:38 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
If you had to list the areas that are LEAST likely to go through a downward spiral, East Cobb would top my list.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:12 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
'Rock Solid' is the same term that came to my mind. You can't underestimate the popularity of this community. My friends that live there wouldn't live any where else.
Of course, many of them probably don't know much about anywhere else. Nothing wrong with that, of course...

Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Of course, many of them probably don't know much about anywhere else. Nothing wrong with that, of course...
Well, off the top of my head, the people I know there were former residents of:
Sandy Springs
Dunwoody
Decatur
Buckhead
San Francisco
Boca Raton
So they do have some basis for comparison.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,519 times
Predictions of the death of the suburbs are highly exaggerated. Statistics do show more people moving into the city, but honestly it isn't enough to wipe out areas of the N. Atlanta suburbs that have been nice for multiple generations now. You have to remember these "death of the suburb" claims (if they are even true at all) apply to areas much further out than East Cobb or Dunwoody. In addition, despite the claims that in town schools are "improving", most still lag behind quite a bit. Obviously there are exceptions to this (as I'm sure someone will chime in to prove me wrong). But I'm not sending my kids to an "improving" school to be the guinea pigs.

Even still, some people just like the burbs and don't mind driving a bit to get to a good restaurant a few times per month. If you have 3+ kids, private school is pretty expensive and being able to get an appropriate house in a good school district like East Cobb for 300-400K starts to look pretty appealing.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
But I'm not sending my kids to an "improving" school to be the guinea pigs.
Sending your kids to an "improving" school doesn't equate to making them guinea pigs.

However, I agree that claims about the "death of suburbia" are ridiculous. East Cobb is a great area and I can't see why it won't continue to be.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 AM

16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Moreover...

Why do so many have to think "either or..."...???

It is better for society and our communities if we think "both and..."

We can have vibrant, livable, healthy city-centers and vibrant, livable, healthy suburbs. In this way, we all get better living options. Both areas can improve and both areas have a lot to learn from each other.

We should not want to see the "demise" of the suburbs now--just like it was no good for anyone to want to see the "demise" of the cities during the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's.

Last edited by aries4118; 12-27-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta