Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I was asking how was at portion of the path trail because I always forget to check.it out when I'm on the Eastside Trail
It's fine. It's paved, heavily used, has a nice sculpture where the trails meet, provides easy access to the Carter Center, N. Highland, Moreland, and Freedom Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Gonna have to use Krog Street tunnel. CSX ain't going anywhere.
There's no way they're going to run transit through that tunnel.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Why not move the facility to another area of the city with lower land values that could then allow for possible higher capacity, and thus more profits to the business?
Why not move the beltline to another area of the city where it would actually be useful, and leave the real beltline for running real trains? Hulsey yard isn't there because CSX likes it there, it's there because that's how the rail network works and making a huge change would just drive a major national economic resource into inefficiency.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Why not move the beltline to another area of the city where it would actually be useful, and leave the real beltline for running real trains? Hulsey yard isn't there because CSX likes it there, it's there because that's how the rail network works and making a huge change would just drive a major national economic resource into inefficiency.
It is useful. Maybe not to you, since you choose to live in Conyers, but it is very useful and beneficial to people who live near it.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
I see. And where are we moving the beltline to?

I am not pretending to have a perfect solution. Just suggesting that it would be nice for the Beltline and the neighborhood if a private developer with a plan for the perfect development appeared and made an offer to CSX for the property that they then looked at and realized that that offer would be good to the business and allow them to build a better rail yard. Either way I hope this discussion has happened with those insiders at CSX who have the authority and are more knowledgeable than me. And I am pretty sure that that discussion will not bring the national rail network to a halt. So unless you know that there are no better alternative sites for a rail yard that no amount of money can buy, then I am going to have to ask you to stop raining on my hypothetical parade.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It is useful. Maybe not to you, since you choose to live in Conyers, but it is very useful and beneficial to people who live near it.
Who lives near it? Very little development has been finished along the beltline, and there was none when the beltline was started. That's the major reason I'm intending to get out of this area in a year, the governments are always catering to special interest groups, while making no efforts at helping the existing people. That's part of why the T-SPLOST failed. Unlike the streetcar which stood a good chance at increasing downtown connectivity, which many suburbanites who commute to or visit Atlanta will use, the beltline is useless until the development kicks in. Even then, the trail is pretty useless too as a real transportation solution. The light rail component of this boondoggle hasn't even been funded yet, and wouldn't have with t-splost. So essentially this "transportation corridor" is nothing but a park for a handful of people who might someday hypothetically live along it, with no real transportation whatsoever.

Quote:
I see. And where are we moving the beltline to?
Off of railroad right of way. For all I care, move it underground in the same location. Far cheaper and easier to bury a trail than a railroad.

Quote:
I am not pretending to have a perfect solution. Just suggesting that it would be nice for the Beltline and the neighborhood if a private developer with a plan for the perfect development appeared and made an offer to CSX for the property that they then looked at and realized that that offer would be good to the business and allow them to build a better rail yard. Either way I hope this discussion has happened with those insiders at CSX who have the authority and are more knowledgeable than me. And I am pretty sure that that discussion will not bring the national rail network to a halt. So unless you know that there are no better alternative sites for a rail yard that no amount of money can buy, then I am going to have to ask you to stop raining on my hypothetical parade.
Hulsey yard sits at effectively the terminus for a rail line from Augusta and Savannah. Removing the yard would mean CSX trains would then have to add even more rail traffic congestion to the "railroad connector" that runs N-S through downtown. With the yard where it is, trains can offload to trucks for local destinations, then only run a few trains making transfers, or on long distance runs toward the Northwest or South. There is no other place for the yard to go without MAJOR funding, and CSX is NOT going to sell the yard for land-value, and no developer will offer the cost of the yard, plus the capital cost of the new yard.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
It's fine. It's paved, heavily used, has a nice sculpture where the trails meet, provides easy access to the Carter Center, N. Highland, Moreland, and Freedom Park.
If someone was smart they would put a bike rental shop in that area

Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
If someone was smart they would put a bike rental shop in that area
I agree. The retail area behind Pure Taqueria (Elizabeth Street and Bernina Ave.) would be perfect for that since there is very little automobile traffic there.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM
JPD

Quote:
Who lives near it?
Are you joking? The entire stretch of the beltline that has been paved is crammed full of residences, and more residential projects are currently under construction in any piece of land that can be found. In addition to that, the unpaved portions go straight through, or are within walking distance of many of the most densely populated areas of the city.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
Are you joking? The entire stretch of the beltline that has been paved is crammed full of residences, and more residential projects are currently under construction in any piece of land that can be found. In addition to that, the unpaved portions go straight through, or are within walking distance of many of the most densely populated areas of the city.
He lost all credibility with that question

http://pathfoundation.org/2012/12/ea...-for-business/

He is talking about the Eastside trail here Matt

Mayor Reed told the crowd the economic impact to the City of Atlanta is undeniable. “Over $775 million in new, private development has already occurred or is underway within a half-mile of this trail,” he said. The trail is expected to entice even more residential, retail, and office development along the corridor as people seek a more pedestrian/bicycle friendly lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta