Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM

16 posts, read 21,875 times

Advertisements

We've had good luck by looking for companies that will be expanding into new areas. Alpharetta seems to be getting a lot of attention lately and my husband was just hired on by one opening a new location there. For example, here's an article that I just saw this morning about the recent expansion: Alpharetta buildings eyed for big corporate relocation - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM

45 posts, read 54,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I can almost guarantee you it's because you're in Florida right now looking for an entry-level job in Atlanta. Business aren't going to go with someone who needs to relocate, etc. before starting for that type of job when there's probably thousands of folks here locally that can start right away.

If one of the temp agencies are willing to work with you while you're out of state I'd say that's your best bet. Or move here first.
But how am I going to sustain myself if I move before getting a job? I have less than $400 in my bank account and I don't think my parents are going to help me.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,917,119 times
Don't move to ATL with that amount of money, save a few thousand then make the leap.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 AM

242 posts, read 356,652 times
This has been my experience as well. I've had the actual HR department tell me to do the same as it relates to what the hiring manager is looking for. She felt I was a great fit but wanted to ensure the resume was in line with what the hiring manager was looking for. She did me a big favor and I got the job. My current job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post

I would highly recommend Dice if you are in analytics. I've had a lot of recruiters contact me from Dice, although only one in Atlanta (others on the west coast, NYC, Boston, VA, etc). I would not pay for a professional resume writing service as after speaking to MANY executive recruiters and working with an outplacement firm, I soon realized they all had their own ways to write resumes. Actually, one of my recruiters (found through Dice) actually had me rewrite my resume to focus on analytics and gave me pointers based on what he knew the target company liked.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM

So, I set up a profile with Office Team a few days ago and just started applying.

I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can come in for an appointment.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 PM

I tried to call them, but I got cold feet before I dialed.

I also haven't heard back from anyone after applying.

What if Office Team doesn't work out? Are there any other alternatives? I can't fail now.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,253,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarimanf355 View Post
I tried to call them, but I got cold feet before I dialed.

I also haven't heard back from anyone after applying.

What if Office Team doesn't work out? Are there any other alternatives? I can't fail now.
Put on some socks. Its hard trying to relocate without a job in hand. The good news is that placement agencies that need to fill assignments are a pretty sure thing if they call you. I.E...if Office Team or any other TEMP agency here calls you its because they have a position to fill STAT! Temp is different from direct placement. Keep applying and give their Atlanta branch a call.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 PM

I should probably man up a little and actually call them. I hope to do so tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,241,097 times
I network and I am part of a professional organization. It is still difficult. I've been trying to find decent-paying, permanent work with benefits for four years now.

I do my own resumes. Temp agencies tell me my resume is perfect. One asked me with my resume, why couldn't I find a job (DUH! You tell me!). I have friends passing my resume around, and I recently had a recruiter look over my resume to see if there's anything I need to change to make myself more marketable. The employers my friends have been making contacts with on my behalf say they have no work.

The recruiter who reviewed my resume said it's the best resume she's ever seen. She also said there's no work. Regardless of the strategies you use, the education or skills you have, there just aren't a lot of jobs here in Atlanta if you don't know the right people. Even then it's still hard to find a job. That's the reality. The ones that are out there are low-paying. I'm already working a low-paying job lol.

Before my mom moved to Texas (she moved there without a job and got one in three weeks, my brother moved there and got one in two), she went to the Georgia Dept. of Labor. The temp assignment she worked ended so she went to get unemployment. She mentioned to the DOL worker who was processing her benefits that she was going to move to Texas. He said the DOL has noticed the trend lots of people are starting to leave Georgia now because there just isn't a lot of work here.

Most likely I'll be moving within the next year (I'm hoping). Right now I'm just trying to save money so I can make the move for more job opportunities elsewhere. I was trying to let my child finish high school but financially I don't know how much longer I will be able to hold on with no real job opportunities here.

People speak as if the underemployment/unemployment situation applies only to those with limited education or skill sets. It doesn't. It's across the board and is effecting everyone from the retail worker with only a high school diploma to the skilled professional with an advance degree. In my personal life I have witnessed more homelessness here in Atlanta among people with degrees than with people without them. I know at least four people who were homeless in Atlanta with degrees because they just couldn't find work. Two of them relocated and found great jobs. The other two who did end up finding jobs in Atlanta are currently underemployed. My friend's husband who is very well-educated couldn't find a job in Atlanta for two years. He started his own consulting firm here but only had one client and was only bringing in $30k a year. He decided to start applying for jobs out of town. He applied for a job in Houston. The first job he applied for there is the one he got. He is now making a fat six-figure salary. They moved to Houston in January and he's having a huge house built there for his family.

The best job-seeking strategy these days is to be open to looking for work in other cities.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 03-25-2013 at 04:57 AM..

Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 AM

Yeah, it's hard out there, anywhere, and I just have to expand my horizons and not be stuck to just one area.

Atlanta_BD, can you do me a favor and be on the lookout for clerical jobs in Atlanta for me and get in touch if you come across something that could be of interest? I really need to start to network, come to think of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: