Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Teach your kids to behave. As for the taser, other type of control responses also carry risk of injury, and possible greater injury. Note to Moms: The safety of your children starts with you. If you teach them to be good citizens they will be safe. Teach them to be thugs and well not safe.
It's not always that simple. We've had young'uns over there and I've also known many of their friends. They are very well-behaved, nice kids. As far as we are concerned, all of those kids belong to us.

However, they've also been taught to stick up for themselves and if somebody comes at them they will defend themselves.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this headline was, "Oh, no, please don't let it be one of ours."

I'm not down on the officer simply because he used a taser but it is a serious weapon and it absolutely should not be used unless there is no alternative.

I guess we will have to wait to see what the facts show.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM

492 posts, read 791,398 times
I like how no one wants to even look at the possibility of one of the girls were actually defending themselves. Some of you people are disgusting and you know why.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
I like how no one wants to even look at the possibility of one of the girls were actually defending themselves....
Hm, you should read my post just above.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,353,071 times
lol at those who immediately want to side with anyone but the authority figure and want to cling to the small percent chance that the officer was in the wrong. Sad.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
lol at those who immediately want to side with anyone but the authority figure and want to cling to the small percent chance that the officer was in the wrong. Sad.
I know you wont answer, but can I ask why it's only "small percent chance" that one of the girls were defending themselves in this situations. I am only trying to understand the other point of view and from my understanding even ignoring the girl's statement fights often happen because one person was the aggressor, so why would this not be the case in your opinion GT?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
It's just as sad when people immediately side with the authority figure and assume that anybody else involved was in the wrong.

Actually, that may be even sadder.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
I know you wont answer, but can I ask why it's only "small percent chance" that one of the girls were defending themselves in this situations. I am only trying to understand the other point of view and from my understanding even ignoring the girl's statement fights often happen because one person was the aggressor, so why would this not be the case in your opinion GT?
I give it a very small chance, lets say less than 5%, that someone was just doing nothing but minding their business and then was assaulted for no reason. That seems far less likely than two people mutually fighting. What uncivilized planet are you from where it is so common for people to be assaulted for no reason that becomes your default assumption?

Don't fight, act like a civilized human and you don't get tazed. Seems pretty darn simple to me.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's just as sad when people immediately side with the authority figure and assume that anybody else involved was in the wrong.

Actually, that may be even sadder.
Where is your evidence that the authority figure did anything wrong?

Why would it not make sense to assume that those who are assigned to serve and protect, likely are rightfully acting within the bounds of their authority? Sure there are some who don't do their job well, as evidenced by the police officers recently arrested, but that would represent a small minority of those that do their job well. Simple logic would dictate that in lieu of amplifying information indicating some wrongdoing, siding with the officer makes more sense than immediately assuming the 'tazee' might somehow be a victim.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I give it a very small chance, lets say less than 5%, that someone was just doing nothing but minding their business and then was assaulted for no reason. That seems far less likely than two people mutually fighting. What uncivilized planet are you from where it is so common for people to be assaulted for no reason that becomes your default assumption?

Don't fight, act like a civilized human and you don't get tazed. Seems pretty darn simple to me.
"Mutual fighting"? What situation is there where two people shake hands and decide " we agree to fight".

Have you ever been bullied before? Did you ever know anyone who was?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Where is your evidence that the authority figure did anything wrong?
There's no evidence either way at this point. Why take sides until you know what actually happened?

As I mentioned, we've had kids at that school and I know several others who've attended there. They are straight up, hardworking and well mannered young men, but they've all been raised to stick up for themselves. If somebody comes after them they are going to fight back. I have taught them that myself and make no apologies for it.

Quote:
Why would it not make sense to assume that those who are assigned to serve and protect, likely are rightfully acting within the bounds of their authority?
Well, I'm a "law and order" type person so I like to assume that LE officers are acting properly.

However, life experience also tells me that a reasonable level of skepticism is warranted. Anybody who's been around knows that there are instances where the cops react improperly. We have LE in my family so we are well aware that they have to operate in situations where there is danger and lots of pressure, and you can't second guess every little thing they do.

But when you deploy a serious weapon on kids it's worthy of investigation until the facts are clearly on the table. If the officer acted appropriately then so be it. You don't have to look very far to find numerous incidents of improper use of tasers.

GA Cops Repeatedly Taser and Pepper Spray 57 Year Old School Teacher Who Called for Help | Video Cafe

Last edited by arjay57; 02-13-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: