Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,043 times

Advertisements

"Commuters traveling into North Fulton may have relief in years to come. MARTA's Connect 400 program has plans to extend its North Line up to Windward Parkway, adding three from North Springs Station in Sandy Springs through Roswell; and four transit stations in Alpharetta..."

MARTA Considers Extending Rail Line From Sandy Springs North - Sandy Springs, GA Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,993 times
Do it, Do it, Do it!!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
I attended a MARTA meeting a number of years ago and when I suggested something similar, their spokesperson said the following.... "I'm not sure rail is needed along the GA400 corridor, or if people would really want it". (yes, really). Let's hope their new guy has a brighter light bulb.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
How hard and expensive would it be to first connect Doraville Station to Medical Center via 285? or Doraville to Airport via 285? I like the idea but if we could create more options using existing stations first, I'd like that

Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
How hard and expensive would it be to first connect Doraville Station to Medical Center via 285? or Doraville to Airport via 285? I like the idea but if we could create more options using existing stations first, I'd like that
i can understand the first one— the north side of the perimeter needs a rail line badly. the second one i don't understand— why don't you just ride from doraville south on the existing track? it would be faster.

either way, both options would require building tracks and new stations. i don't see why a perimeter line should be prioritized over a 400 line, especially since the crucial connection to cobb county wouldn't be built.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Windward is planned for....gulp....2025 currently....we don't need 4 stations.holcomb bridge, Haynes/old Milton, McFarland....would do......why? Because windward could use either McFarland or Haynes/old Milton, man sell, could use old Milton/Haynes as well as Holcomb.....3 stations, better coverage. Christ, they have to stop every 100 feet. They have to through 10-12 stops as it is to from north springs to downtown today.

Don't forget, this thing will eventually reach Dawson. How many stops are you going to add? Just add some bus lines and HUGE parking lots/decks as aggregation/collector points and we should be fine. We need that rail badly. Can't get it up 400 fast enough in my opinion and I am very gladly willing to pay for it.

One trip from cumming through Alpharetta on a Monday morning will qwell anyone's reservations. Trip time from Alpharetta to the perimeter in rush hour today? 45-60 mins....15-17 miles...by the time you ultimately get downtown? 60-75 mins....you arrive exhausted....yeah, we could use the trains.

Charge the taxes, get the inmates busting rocks, use the combat engineers to save money and quit telling is it takes 20 years. Christ, we built the Alcan highway in 18 months. Certainly we can build 10-15 miles of rail in the same time????

Get busy.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 AM

580 posts, read 1,422,082 times
Just know that Marta should be traveling in 7 directions (from Central 5 points) right now IMO:

Far west to Douglasville (H.E. Holmes, add a Six Flags, Lithia Springs/Thorton Rd, and last stop Douglasville)

Far northwest to Kennesaw (Town Center/Kennesaw State, Roswell Road, Windy Hill, Cumberland Area, connect with Bankhead line (different carts) and on to 5 points)

Far north to Alpharetta (reduce one or 2 of the proposed lines)

Far northeast to Mall of GA (Buford Drive station, Sugarload parkway, Pleasant Hill/Steve Reynolds, Jimmy Carter, connect with Doraville line (different carts) and on to 5 points

Far east (splitting 2 ways to Stone Mountain and Conyers
-From Downtown Decatur Marta station, Druid Hill/North Dekalb station, Clarkston station, and on to Stone
Mountain. Also keep the existing line to Indian Creek station.
-From Indian Creek station, Panola Road station, to Stonecrest, and lastly a 138 station in Conyers.

*Another east line running from 5 points to a new Glenwood/Moreland Ave station, Candler Road/South Dekalb and Wesley Chapel stations

Far south (2 directions) to Stockbridge, Riverdale and Fairburn
-New Line; From 5points to Turner Field/University Ave station, Lakewood Ave/Jonesboro station, Conley
Road/Moreland Ave station, Mt. Zion and Stockbridge station

-South line past the Airport station to a Union City and Fairburn station (both off Roosevelt Highway)
*Second line from Airport to Riverdale and Jonesboro.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i can understand the first one— the north side of the perimeter needs a rail line badly. the second one i don't understand— why don't you just ride from doraville south on the existing track? it would be faster.

either way, both options would require building tracks and new stations. i don't see why a perimeter line should be prioritized over a 400 line, especially since the crucial connection to cobb county wouldn't be built.
yea I didn't think it through much late last night.

If Doraville could somehow connect to Medical, and then add a station in Vinings, then on down to the last stop on the West line, that would be a pipe dream though.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Reminder: There are TONS of "it could go here...." MARTA threads on here if you sift through, so please, keep this one on the specific topic of the GA400 North expansion per the link in the OP's post, or it'll have to be shut down since we have others on generic expansion topics.

Thank you.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 AM

416 posts, read 972,636 times
Bring it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta