Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:13 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
If you ask me, I win this thread and the rest of you are in a distant, distant 2nd.
right now i'm giving thanks that no one would give you a billion dollars to **** away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
I dont know why people want to invest in ideas that Atlanta does not have the population to support. Are you people not happy with how Atlanta is?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I dont know why people want to invest in ideas that Atlanta does not have the population to support. Are you people not happy with how Atlanta is?
Which ideas are you referring to? The city could definitely use improvement. Have you seen the Bluff?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
And yet, you're the one who suggested traffic lights which are a government function. I don't see many posts on here (if any) that would expand the government, rather they would go to transportation projects like yours. There's no difference, except yours increases reliance on asphalt, gasoline and rubber, and the others add transit options.
It is a government function that is mismanaged and inefficient. I would contract with a private company to increase the efficiency of the existing infrastructure (while also providing long term funding to operate the system). I would structure the contract with incentives based on the efficiency gains experienced. The major investment in the road system has been made. Getting an extra 10-20% efficiency out of the infrastructure would be a massive gain for the region. I believe those gains could be achieved if you involve consultants and give them the right incentives in the correct contract structure. My solution would be about efficiently working with what we have an harnessing the power of private industry and removing layers of stupidity inherent to government. I think the gains for the region would be much greater from this than from spending $1 billion to get 6 or 7 miles of MARTA expansion (which also incurs massive unfunded long-term operations and maintenance costs.

You still don't see the difference?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
It is a government function that is mismanaged and inefficient. I would contract with a private company to increase the efficiency of the existing infrastructure (while also providing long term funding to operate the system). I would structure the contract with incentives based on the efficiency gains experienced. The major investment in the road system has been made. Getting an extra 10-20% efficiency out of the infrastructure would be a massive gain for the region. I believe those gains could be achieved if you involve consultants and give them the right incentives in the correct contract structure. My solution would be about efficiently working with what we have an harnessing the power of private industry and removing layers of stupidity inherent to government. I think the gains for the region would be much greater from this than from spending $1 billion to get 6 or 7 miles of MARTA expansion (which also incurs massive unfunded long-term operations and maintenance costs.

You still don't see the difference?
If YOU had a billion dollars...your idea is your idea, why step the ideas of others? You can have your traffic light utopia, but don't plop it down and expect any support for it here.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
If YOU had a billion dollars...your idea is your idea, why step the ideas of others? You can have your traffic light utopia, but don't plop it down and expect any support for it here.
Because some of the ideas on here suck hard.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM

175 posts, read 235,588 times
I Would Invest it all In Better Transit options for The Eastside of Town where I Lived and just visited Last week... I Lived off exit 88 In Covington. I drove past the old railroad station on HWY 278 and it has 2 Tracks runnin thru it. Id Pay for the Entire East Commuter Rail Line stretching from the Multimodal Terminal In Downtown Out to Madison, GA As already proposed....Frequent Service 7 Days A week. Upgrade the line to 2 Tracks. Rush Hour service evry 30 minutes and evry Hour Outside of that. Let the Rest of The Anti Transit Counties Look and Marvel At the Eastside of town. Like I said I Just spent 10 days down there and The traffic has gotten worse ( as expected ) since I last Been in 2012. I see there Widening I-20 (Again) from 285- Panola Road..it was a Nightmare....Atlanta Just dosent get it I swear.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
yeah... not naming any names.

boy, don't you think corn dogs suck?

Old 04-27-2013, 02:09 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
I'm glad you're admitting it.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm glad you're admitting it.
You are right. I think the best idea would be to chuck $1 billion on 6 miles of heavy rail. Clearly that would have a bigger positive effect on the city than preserving open space, stimulating research and entrepreneurship while also increasing the efficiency of our existing infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta