Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,821,352 times

Advertisements

I was driving downtown yesterday to pick up a client at the MARTA Station at 5 Points. Leaving and heading South on Peachtree St into "no mans" land towards the jail.Then it struck me:The streetcar will run right in that area in front of all those ghetto shops.
Do you think the same thing will happened that has happened to Edgewood AVE and Auburn where new restaurants and clubs now line the street?

Could it possibly spark a transformation of the area?Maybe GSU might even buy some of those buildings?Why have they not tried to before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,908,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I was driving downtown yesterday to pick up a client at the MARTA Station at 5 Points. Leaving and heading South on Peachtree St into "no mans" land towards the jail.Then it struck me:The streetcar will run right in that area in front of all those ghetto shops.
Do you think the same thing will happened that has happened to Edgewood AVE and Auburn where new restaurants and clubs now line the street?

Could it possibly spark a transformation of the area?Maybe GSU might even buy some of those buildings?Why have they not tried to before?
The streetcar does not come south of Woodruff Park.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:16 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,253,017 times
I think they are doing utility work there.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM

348 posts, read 435,048 times
Though the streetcar isn't running down that far the area has a lot of potential from Five Points to Garnett. While those shops are considered "ghetto" a lot of them have a lot of business. Honestly, the block on Peachtree from Alabama to MLK is probaby one of the busiest pedestrian oriented shopping blocks in the city. May not be the highest class of people but still stays busy. And it's not all "cheap" stuff. A lot of the urban wear there is very expensive and real; I know first hand.

I do think one day that area will turn into condos/apartment buildings ranging from 5 to 10 stories with shops and things on the ground floors. It will have a real urban feel and since the area is already very walkable should do really well. It's all about the perception of the area that needs to change before real construction to fill in all of those parking lots will happen.

Walkable area, prime location, great MARTA bus and rail access... it's only a matter of time before someone takes a chance and builds.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,727,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
Though the streetcar isn't running down that far the area has a lot of potential from Five Points to Garnett. While those shops are considered "ghetto" a lot of them have a lot of business. Honestly, the block on Peachtree from Alabama to MLK is probaby one of the busiest pedestrian oriented shopping blocks in the city. May not be the highest class of people but still stays busy. And it's not all "cheap" stuff. A lot of the urban wear there is very expensive and real; I know first hand.

I do think one day that area will turn into condos/apartment buildings ranging from 5 to 10 stories with shops and things on the ground floors. It will have a real urban feel and since the area is already very walkable should do really well. It's all about the perception of the area that needs to change before real construction to fill in all of those parking lots will happen.

Walkable area, prime location, great MARTA bus and rail access... it's only a matter of time before someone takes a chance and builds.
I agree with this assessment, but people already have begun to take a chance. There are lofts down there that I can see from the bus (Kessler City Lofts, and a couple of other developments). Do you know how these are doing? I honestly have no idea. Are there drug problems, or are there more "classy" urban pioneers living there who are supporting local businesses? Those would be a great start for south downtown, and hopefully as the area becomes more of an art district, more people will move in.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 AM

32,035 posts, read 36,857,518 times
Quote:
I'd love to see it happen!

It has sure been a long time coming. The big dogs in Buckhead formed Central Atlanta Progress back in 1941 in an effort to keep downtown viable and they have been relentlessly pounding away at that for nearly 75 years. Hopefully the day has now arrived!

Old 05-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree with this assessment, but people already have begun to take a chance. There are lofts down there that I can see from the bus (Kessler City Lofts, and a couple of other developments). Do you know how these are doing? I honestly have no idea. Are there drug problems, or are there more "classy" urban pioneers living there who are supporting local businesses? Those would be a great start for south downtown, and hopefully as the area becomes more of an art district, more people will move in.
I honestly didn't realize that building was full of condos!

Kessler CityLofts

I need to pay more attention; it doesn't appear they have any for sale per the website so I'd say that's pretty good since it is full. But this type of building is exactly what is needed for that part of downtown. Five to ten story condos and apartments and make the area nice and walkable. And if a deck is built, let multiple buildings share parking and make sure the ground floor has shops. Also make sure the deck doesn't look like a deck but more like a building to blend into the surroundings. More people walking would be perfect for a streetcar on that side of town. That area is going to come around. I wish I had some millions to invest, I would certainly build something there right on Peachtree before it got too hot on the market and developers have to start building "around" Peachtree.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd love to see it happen!

It has sure been a long time coming. The big dogs in Buckhead formed Central Atlanta Progress back in 1941 in an effort to keep downtown viable and they have been relentlessly pounding away at that for nearly 75 years. Hopefully the day has now arrived!
Hopefully

Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,727,919 times
Quote:
I honestly didn't realize that building was full of condos!

Kessler CityLofts

I need to pay more attention; it doesn't appear they have any for sale per the website so I'd say that's pretty good since it is full. But this type of building is exactly what is needed for that part of downtown. Five to ten story condos and apartments and make the area nice and walkable. And if a deck is built, let multiple buildings share parking and make sure the ground floor has shops. Also make sure the deck doesn't look like a deck but more like a building to blend into the surroundings. More people walking would be perfect for a streetcar on that side of town. That area is going to come around. I wish I had some millions to invest, I would certainly build something there right on Peachtree before it got too hot on the market and developers have to start building "around" Peachtree.
Yeah, I was surprised too. I agree that more of those kinds of developments need to happen down there, but it's nice to see that recently somebody has decided to invest something (it says it was renovated in 2005). I have seen a couple of other loft buildings down there, so they are around. I think there just needs to be more amenities in the area (some mixed income stores, grocery stores, movie theatre, etc.) for the area to attract more of the creative class people. I wonder if a lot of younger government employees choose to live over there (obviously not the legislators, but their office admins, etc.).

Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,052,375 times
Quote:

It's only "no man's land" for certain people...the sidewalks are bustling and it's a pretty colorful area. It might need to be cleaned up a bit and maybe it would make some people less uncomfortable walking through there. I think there is a place for that type of shopping district, especially downtown. It would be a shame to see it pushed out, but that is a pretty prime strip of space and I have a feeling that someone is going to realize sooner than later. I guess the "ghetto" shops will be relegated to another area or just go away entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta