Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,786,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I think the Atlanta Braves should give some money to extend a streetcar south of the existing line to Turner Field and then be on the hook for partial funding since they will benefit greatly from it. The braves have a relatively low payroll.
Summerhill/Mechanicsville is only a start, but would be a good start. It would need to continue all the way down Pryor,to University Ave, to make me happy.

They really need to finish the stupid beltline trail. How's the negotiations with CSX going? I heard they are going to finally hit the intersection of Metropolitan and University with the beltline trail from the West end, but I wish they could get all the way through.... Any news on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 PM

454 posts, read 822,386 times
I think this area is gonna get better for sure.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 AM

112 posts, read 171,667 times
Default One less drug dealing business

Last night, the LRB voted to recommend revocation of the liquor license for Fox Market located at 90 Broad Street SW at the corner of MLK and Broad. For at least 15 years, this store has been a safe haven for dealers to sell drugs, and the police raided it last March where they found pot and coke in baggies. The store owner was arrested and charged with possession with intent to distribute. The store should be closed within the month.

Now we just need to find a legitimate business to open in that spot. Anyone on City-Data want to take a chance? The location is directly across from Millers' Rexall, another legit business on Broad.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,219,929 times
I used to catch the 74 on the corner of Ptree and Alabama, and there's definitely lots of street traffic there. I wonder how much money is changing hands at the stores, as opposed to on the sidewalks though... I'd love to see a better selection of retail there, and the MMPT could help improve the Five Points area, if it connects 5 Points Station to Philips Arena with one big underground terminal. I've always thought that Peachtree south of Alabama has great architecture held back by low class shops. I hope that South Downtown becomes the international restaurant destination that it was apparently planned to be decades ago.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:22 PM

20 posts, read 22,997 times
I currently live in this area and people seem to be very optimistic about the area going forward.... underground selling and new falcon stadium going up as well.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 PM

54 posts, read 65,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy19 View Post
I currently live in this area and people seem to be very optimistic about the area going forward.... underground selling and new falcon stadium going up as well.
Just driving around Five Points, the area seems to be pretty lively as of late, which is great to see. Downtown is one of my favorite parts of Atlanta, because it's the only place that really feels like an urban city. Even Midtown still has a bit of a small town vibe to it where most of the people live.

I think it'll be a long time before Underground becomes anything worth checking out, but if Reed keeps up with his downtown revitalization, maybe by 2020 the area will be a fairly booming and revitalized part of the city.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,894,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreDREb13 View Post
I think it'll be a long time before Underground becomes anything worth checking out
I don't know. We will have to see what the developer that buys it wants to do with it.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,054,207 times
Kessler City Lofts - my only insight is that our condo met with someone involved on their board to discuss a live in police program that many apartments and condos take advantage of in the city and the take away was that they dealt with an enormous amount of drug dealing, homeless etc but the drug dealing was especially bad. In the past they couldn't even get APD to come to the area but sounds like through communications and hard work from residents fighting to take back their area its bad but much better than it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree with this assessment, but people already have begun to take a chance. There are lofts down there that I can see from the bus (Kessler City Lofts, and a couple of other developments). Do you know how these are doing? I honestly have no idea. Are there drug problems, or are there more "classy" urban pioneers living there who are supporting local businesses? Those would be a great start for south downtown, and hopefully as the area becomes more of an art district, more people will move in.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 PM

20 posts, read 22,997 times
Thank guys for the insight Im currently in Kessler and love it here and many new residents will see that aside from the drug selling this area can one day be transformed!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:01 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,355,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy19 View Post
Thank guys for the insight Im currently in Kessler and love it here and many new residents will see that aside from the drug selling this area can one day be transformed!
One day the economy can be diversified to include prostitution and stolen weave sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta