Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times

Advertisements

Downtown Atlanta can be dead as hell at times, and oh how I wish Peachtree Street was a prime stretch compared to Market Street in San Francisco ( File:San Francisco Market Street between 4th and 5th St.jpg - Wikimedia Commons). I love it here, and we have so much more potential. Peachtree Street downtown (http://kootation.com/uploads/atlanta...Ambassador.jpg) and all around around Centennial Park (Marietta Street) should be flourished with people all day long. I just speaking on downtown Atl; Midtown continues to take a hike in foot traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
IIt seems that Atlanta is a suburban city. Everything is away from the uptown area. Which does make it not a tourist city. It makes it a place where people live.

FYI, we were not looking for sports bars. If anyone is going to suggest beer joints.
So what exactly were you looking for?

Atlanta isn't a suburban city in the sense that you're talking about. Mostly all of the attractions, amenities, nightlife, etc. will be found in downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, or one of the several in-town neighborhood districts. But none of those individual areas will have everything.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:52 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,208 times
Trip Advisor + Trip Advisor + Trip Advisor + Yelp. Okay, not every review is going to be perfect, but you can gain so much by doing some planning ahead of time. We just took a 24 hour trip to Chattanooga last week for the first time in over 10 years (first time with kids). Studying my options ahead of time saved me money, headaches and a lot of wasted time. The OP makes valid points, but expecatations could have been held in check with a bit more prep.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:41 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Last time I was in Mint Hill, it was VERY boring ....

Old 07-02-2013, 05:52 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
Doh, What were you thinking? When going to a new city, I frankly fly through the tourist areas quickly and try to find the "real" parts of the city. Since we've got a NYC analogy going--let's see...if I'd wanted a Greenwich village experience in Atlanta, I would have headed to Virginia Highlands or Decatur. If I'd wanted a Central Park stroll, I would have hit Piedmont Park. If I'd wanted a Coney Island fun day, I would have seen Stone Mountain. If I'd wanted to ogle at mansions & amazing landscapes, I would have driven through the boulevards of old Buckhead. All you'd have had to do was come on here and describe what you were looking for. But instead you flew blind. Sorry...

Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,664 times
One time I visited L.A. and all I saw was Skid Row and a bunch of office buildings. No Hollywood, no Venice Beach, no Santa Monica or Malibu, no Disneyland. It's definitely not a tourist town like NY or Chicago.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
I'm in Rio de Janeiro and took a ride through Centro in a taxi last night. It was a dangerous ghost town. Rio is definitely not a tourist town like NY or Chicago.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM

80 posts, read 132,713 times
. . .I think what people are trying to say is that Downtown is not a fair representation of what there is to do in the city. I don't find Atlanta to be some tourist trap like NYC or SF. Why would it be? Those cities are rare occurrences in terms of American cities and not the norm. As "aware. . ." as this country is of Atlanta, that doesn't mean it has the tourist amenities to match the social awareness factor.

That being said, it really is your fault if you were searching for Atlanta adventure and didn't find it. I didn't know the layout of the city before I got here, and within the first week I could tell (by my own exploration) that Downtown was not Atlanta's "downtown section. . ."

Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
One of the better "what to do" sites: Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau

Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
You are correct, our expectations was big city, like NY. They were to high of expectations.
Why did you think Atlanta would be like NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta