Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
CQ,

You don't need to be so defensive.

This isn't MARTA vs. WMATA

It is not driving vs MARTA either.

It doesn't matter which is better or worse in your eyes.

It is specifically about the problems around maintenance and single tracking.

Some of the other posters are right too, y'know.

I remember the work they did on the NE tracks down to Lindbergh ATLTJL is talking about. It went on for -years-. They didn't have enough to bring in large crews & hire contractors and do it all at once. It was very slow going and really hampered service. It also happened all days of the week

For the record... I will vouch in that location and instance... driving was almost always faster...by a good bit. He is right that does give some people a negative image of MARTA that actually wanted to use it.

Someone mentioned systems all over the world have these problems... Yes and no. I'm extremely well traveled. There are some places where they have put more money into it and will hire more contractors to get the work done faster. It doesn't prevent conflict, delays, single tracking, etc... but it majorly cuts back on the time spent. I'm much less likely to run into a problem in Germany than I am here or even in NYC.

To the OP, I think MARTA still has higher ridership on weekdays, despite visitors, and that influences their decisions.

I'm glad we have it and I'll defend MARTA, but we can't make it better by going... oh yea.. well WMATA is worse. (who cares we don't live there)
I am getting at that the single-tracking, rail upgrade on weekends will prevent issues that have plagued WMATA, eg: track warping in intense heat and derailments.
The single tracking is a pain, but a necessary evil to prevent accidents and keep trains running fast. To compare to road upgrades: How long did the freeing the freeway program take? Was it worth it when finished?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
To compare to road upgrades: How long did the freeing the freeway program take? Was it worth it when finished?
It is another scapegoat argument...

This isn't roads vs rail. Freeing the freeways was also an expansion not maintenance.

The single tracking ATLTJL is referring to in the past was pretty bad and went on for a really long time.

No amount of these other scapegoat comparisons are going to change that.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
I recently moved to College Park and I was very happy that I would be so close to transit. I have used it once in the three months I have been there. I keep wanting to use it, but I can rarely justify it!

Being that most times I would use it would be the weekend... no thanks. The schedules are terrible. I have no desire to wait on a platform as long as it would take me to drive somewhere. You either need to really plan your day out or have a lot of time to waste.

It always blew my mind that after many sporting events, they would run 20 min headways. It made me, a transit lover, not want to take the train any more. If it wasn't for all the beer, I would have always opted to drive!

I think MARTA should be considered more of a commuter rail system than rapid transit. 20 min headways does not equal rapid transit.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:20 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Exactly and those other cities have like 30-40 lines...Atlanta has 2 main lines and a few spurs..It should be much easier to manage MARTA than it would be to manage the MTA's subway system. It's also much newer...why are there so much problems?
You have GOT to be kidding me! Are you really this dense!?

These aren't problems, single tracking is due to them replacing and maintaining the tracks so the systme won't just fall apart. They can't do it all at once because they don't have enough funding (for reasons we won't discuss here). If MARTA had just let them rust and fall apart you'd be giving them a hard time about that too!

You're so overdramatic. No rail system in the world even has "30-40 lines."

Old 07-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
It always blew my mind that after many sporting events, they would run 20 min headways. It made me, a transit lover, not want to take the train any more. If it wasn't for all the beer, I would have always opted to drive!

I think MARTA should be considered more of a commuter rail system than rapid transit. 20 min headways does not equal rapid transit.
That gets on my last nerve. I remember last year the Falcons AND Braves had a game on the same day (and both were to capacity). It was absolutely ridiculous for MARTA to have people sitting there waiting 20 minutes while packed like sardines only to finally get on a train and be packed like sardines. Not to mention the fact that the video boards are off so you'd never know how long you're waiting. MARTA really needs to get this single-tracking business over with and get those boards back up because regardless of the reason, even if justified, it critically hurts the perception of the agency...and people already think negatively of the system anyway.

Let's get moving KEITH PARKER (and the State of Georgia)

Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me! Are you really this dense!?

These aren't problems, single tracking is due to them replacing and maintaining the tracks so the systme won't just fall apart. They can't do it all at once because they don't have enough funding (for reasons we won't discuss here). If MARTA had just let them rust and fall apart you'd be giving them a hard time about that too!

You're so overdramatic. No rail system in the world even has "30-40 lines."
Tokyo rail: http://www.tokyotopia.com/support-fi...-train-map.pdf

Seoul rail:

London rail:

Shanghai rail:

I'm not being overdramatic. I've studied rail systems across the world. There are cities that have that much lines. All of the ones I just shown have at least 25 lines, if not more.

And why are you always replying to my posts?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 PM

580 posts, read 1,422,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
MARTA did the same thing memorial day weekend. Jazz Festival, Caribbean Parade, Atlanta Braves and a couple more major events were in town and they were single tracking. Nothing is worse than after that extensive delay than for a 4 car train to roll up and you have to ride NYC style for 20+ minutes.

MARTA has been using "it is upgrading and replacing all miles of tracks for years now". I heard that back in 2004-2006 and they said they would be done in a couple of years and 8+ yrs later they are still replacing all tracks.

On weekends and off peak hours just drive where you need to go, its MUCH faster, but if you are going to take the train check the schedule on the web and pray there is no single tracking going on.
During Jazz Festival weekend I can bet waiting on Marta and getting around Midtown was a hell of a lot better than me driving around for over an hr looking for somewhere to parkl lol. It was very frustrating, and traffic jams wasn't any better. But I can assure you the next big event I will be taking the Kensington Station train into the city.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
In a city that has a major event basically every weekend from Spring to Fall, it's a sure bet that on more than one occasion you will encounter maintenance work being performed on the public transit system during a particular event or two. The same is true for road work. The city doesn't stop just because you have some where to go.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
And why are you always replying to my posts?
Because you annoy the crap out of me sometimes.....sometimes. And I'm not the only one.

Quote:
Tokyo rail:
9 Lines, surprisingly (13 if you include the Toei system, 18 if you include the extras on the legend). Tokyo Metro | Subway Map

Quote:
Seoul rail:
19 Lines, of which are run by 9 different organizations, interestingly. Seoul Metropolitan Subway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
London rail:
11 Lines. London Underground - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Shanghai rail:
13 Lines. Shanghai Metro

Quote:
I'm not being overdramatic. I've studied rail systems across the world. There are cities that have that much lines. All of the ones I just shown have at least 25 lines, if not more.
Based on the above, you are. The only way you might get 25 lines (which isn't your original exaggeration of 30-40) is by adding commuter rail lines. Those are in different systems though, and aren't included in those maps you provided. And define "study."

Anyways, we've gotten off topic here....

Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Because you annoy the crap out of me sometimes.....sometimes. And I'm not the only one.

9 Lines, surprisingly (13 if you include the Toei system, 18 if you include the extras on the legend). Tokyo Metro | Subway Map

19 Lines, of which are run by 9 different organizations, interestingly. Seoul Metropolitan Subway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11 Lines. London Underground - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13 Lines. Shanghai Metro

Based on the above, you are. The only way you might get 25 lines (which isn't your original exaggeration of 30-40) is by adding commuter rail lines. Those are in different systems though, and aren't included in those maps you provided. And define "study."

Anyways, we've gotten off topic here....
Because half the time you reply to my posts, I'm not the only one who said it, yet you choose to specifically address my posts.

And I really don't care if I annoy you. If you don't like my posts, then ignore me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta