Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times

Advertisements

I notice in the past week, that Marta has added the Spanish language on train annoucements. It sounds really good, and should help Atlanta's international city status,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,802 times
Doesn't sound like the 'murica I know and love...

Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Doesn't sound like the 'murica I know and love...
Doesn't sound like the Atlanta I know and love. It's becoming Californiaized, like the rest of 'murica.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,378 times
nice! i hope they add korean too. that would be awesome.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
The more translations they add, the better.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Default Title VI Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I notice in the past week, that Marta has added the Spanish language on train annoucements. It sounds really good, and should help Atlanta's international city status,
and I agree wholeheartedly that it should help Atlanta's international city status, and it will now, undoubtedly, make using the Marta system convenient for the Minority riders of Marta.

Title VI Challenge to the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority Based on Disparate Treatment in Service Delivery to its Minority Riders (11/28/2000)

Dear Messrs. Stroman and Fernandez:

Complainants file this administrative charge of discrimination on behalf of their minority and disabled members and other similarly situated minority and disabled persons in Fulton and Dekalb Counties challenging (1) the Metropolitan Atlanta Transit Authority's (MARTA) disparate treatment in its delivery of services to minority riders; (2) the decision of the MARTA to raise its fares which will disproportionately burden poor, transit-dependent African Americans; and (3) the MARTA's disparate treatment in its delivery of services to its disabled riders. The MARTA's service delivery to minority communities is not up to par with the services provided to white communities. A disproportionate number of the MARTA's overcrowded bus lines are located in minority communities, and minority communities do not receive a proportionate share of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and bus shelters. Additionally, MARTA's rail stations located in minority communities are poorly maintained, have fewer amenities, and are provided inadequate security. Also, Latino riders are not provided Spanish language translation services to permit participation in public meetings sponsored by MARTA. Additionally, the MARTA made the decision to raise its fares and thereby disparately impact African Americans who made up 73% of its 1999 ridership, while committing $464 million in construction costs and $4 million per year in operating costs to two new train stations on the North line, which will benefit predominately white suburban communities. Disabled riders are also poorly served by the MARTA due to the late arrival of buses equipped to service the disabled, broken elevators, and inoperable lifts. Plaintiffs allege that the MARTA, a federal fund recipient, is in violation of (1) the Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, 42 U.S.C. §2000d, and its implementing regulations codified by the U.S. Department of Transportation (the Department) at 49 C.F.R. Part 21; (2) the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), 42 U.S.C. §§12101-12213, and its implementing regulations codified by the Department at 49 CFR Parts 37 and 38; and (3) Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended at 29 U.S.C. 794 (Section 504).

EJRC-MARTA Complaint

MARTA’s Limited English Proficiency Summary
Title VI Notice to the Public

MARTA is also committed to assuring that resources are used to reduce the barriers that limit access to its information and services by LEP persons. MARTA is committed to expending significant funds on language services, this includes: the telephone translation service, publication of Pocket Guides, printing of bus schedules and service change announcements in Spanish, website translation software, bilingual staff in the call center and in the administrative offices to make station announcements.

Language Assistance Services Offered
· Oral interpretation services - Bilingual staff that are trained and competent in the skill of interpreting
· Telephone interpreter lines
· Volunteer interpreters from community minority organizations who are trained and competent in the skill of interpreting;
· Qualified paid interpreters; and
· Translate vital documents (examples of vital documents are bus and rail schedules; notices of proposed public hearing regarding proposed transportation plans, projects, or changes).

Website Translation

Translated versions of pages on this website are available by selecting any of the following languages:
· French
· German
· Spanish
· Chinese
· Japanese
· Korean
· English

MART > About Marta > DEO/DBE

Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
The announcements they already had were annoying. What are they going to do now, start as soon as the train leaves the preceding station? I always like it when the train operator cuts them off by doing their own announcements.

NYC - I don't recall the MTA having long announcements. I just remember a station name.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
I'd prefer they put the translations on a scroll screen. Too many announcements degrade the experience and make it too difficult to read or relax.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
NYC - I don't recall the MTA having long announcements. I just remember a station name.
Well MARTA is trying to be better than MTA in helping their customers.
The Spanish translation is the station name only, so its not that much longer. It replaced announcing the station name twice.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The announcements they already had were annoying. What are they going to do now, start as soon as the train leaves the preceding station? I always like it when the train operator cuts them off by doing their own announcements.

I kind of like the automated female voice making the announcements. It has a friendly and welcoming sound to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'd prefer they put the translations on a scroll screen. Too many announcements degrade the experience and make it too difficult to read or relax.
I agree, like the train in the H-J Airport (The Plane Train) which has translations in Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Arabic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta