Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 PM

12 posts, read 20,796 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved from L.A. to New Hampshire over a year ago and we're sure we made the wrong move. Now we're looking at Atlanta as a possibility and are planning to visit to check out some neighborhoods. We would love to narrow it down to 4 or 5 areas to check out. Here's some info...

- We are in our early 30s, just had a baby, both work from home, need the airport occasionally but not enough to live close to it.

- Looking for a home to purchase up to $400k. This home must have character (contemporary, bungalow, etc). No gated communities. We wouldn't mind a fixer-upper on a good sized lot (at least 1/3 acre).

- Neighborhood should have plenty of mature trees - sidewalks would be a plus but not mandatory.

-Within a 10-15 minute drive to a Whole Foods or a similar-type health food store. Farmers markets a plus.

- Very open to living either OTP or ITP

- Would prefer to live in a more open-minded (is liberal the word?) area. Our motto is live and let live. Any demographic between 25-55 is fine, families with or without children.

- Parks for kids nearby

- WE DON'T CARE ABOUT GOOD SCHOOLS! Yay! (we Montessori/homeschool)

- We don't need nightclubs but would love to be near a good mix of restaurants.

- Public transit not necessary.

What 4 or 5 areas would you choose based on the above? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Inside the I-285 Perimeter, you could try taking a look at areas like Brookhaven, Decatur, North Druid Hills, North Decatur, Druid Hills, the Briarcliff Heights/Oak Grove area of North Central DeKalb, the ITP portion of Sandy Springs, Buckhead and Vinings.

Outside the I-285 Perimeter, you could try taking a look at areas like the OTP portion of Sandy Springs, Smyrna, the historic area in the City of Marietta, East Cobb, Dunwoody, Roswell, Alpharetta, Norcross, Peachtree Corners and Berkeley Lake.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:32 AM

744 posts, read 2,482,977 times
I'm just going to second what Born 2 Roll said . The Decatur / Briarcliff area would be an excellent place to start your search .

Old 07-20-2013, 08:36 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
I would think you would like areas such as Decatur, Oakhurst, Candler Park, Inman Park, North Druid Hills, Briarcliff/Oak Grove, and some areas inside the perimeter. I don't see you in Vinings, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Marietta, East Cobb as you would not find as much of the liberal bent that you are after. . .you would like the areas somewhat but wouldn't jazz you up like the Decatur and intown areas would, IMHO...

Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
I actually think Briarcliff/Oak Grove isn't nearly as liberal as it use to be. I agree with AtlJan on the rest of the suggestions.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
I would check out Roswell, close to the historic area of Canton Street. Or maybe Legacy off of Woodstock. Lots of non-chain restaurants, a fabulous park and rec department with a variety of classes for all ages. There is the Chattahottchee Nature Center, the spraypark on the river (on Saturdays there are now food trucks down there). Other nice parks such as the Roswell Area Park that has a nice playground as well as the usual trails, pool, tennis courts, soccer and playing fields.

Whole Foods and Trader Joes are within 15 minutes as well as Target, Home Depot, Staples, etc. There are farmers' markets Roswell and Alpharetta on Saturday and Sweetapple on Thursdays.

Not far from the North Springs MARTA for easy airport trips. Also, there are quite a few homeschool families in the area. Downside for you- not exactly liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta