Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's 2013: All you need is a good camera and a Macbook with Final Cut Pro to produce a video like this. Since they didn't use actors, that would keep costs down too. I would be surprised if it took more than $10k to make this. Also for the theory about State funds, given how this has been true for all of MARTA's existence that would be incorrect. There are other reasons why that is the case.
Yes, I know there are other reasons. But its a waste of precious dollars MARTA doesn't seem to otherwise have to waste. And $10k items can add up pretty quickly into something really big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I have to agree with Ansley on this. Why would a state agency spend one dime of taxpayer money on a PR video? They're not a private company -- they are providing a publicly funded service. For which they charge a significant user fee, in addition to the public money they get.

Who exactly are they "selling" to? If they want more customers, they ought to be spending these precious dollars on improving service and lowering fares, rather than boasting about how great they are.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times
Meh,The state really need something going east-west.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:44 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have to agree with Ansley on this. Why would a state agency spend one dime of taxpayer money on a PR video? They're not a private company -- they are providing a publicly funded service. For which they charge a significant user fee, in addition to the public money they get.
Really? PR is a tool by public and private enterprise use to make people aware of things. Without it, how else would you know what they are up to unless you pour through boring administrative documents.

Quote:
Who exactly are they "selling" to?
People scared of riding MARTA, but probably most likely to commemorate a major milestone.

Quote:
If they want more customers, they ought to be spending these precious dollars on improving service and lowering fares, rather than boasting about how great they are.
Trust me, however much it cost to produce this video it wouldn't do that.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:35 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Really? PR is a tool by public and private enterprise use to make people aware of things. Without it, how else would you know what they are up to unless you pour through boring administrative documents.
I think they'd win more support if they simply said, "You know, we thought about doing a fancy promotional video but decided it would be better to spend the public's money on operations."

Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
The video celebrates a huge milestone in the metro area's history.
I found it interesting and wanted to share with anyone else who would be interested.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Its not about encouraging more riders, but showing the public that ther eare peopel behind those tuniforms. We sometimes forget that MARTA provides thousands of people with livable wages and keeps the metro area moving. Without MARTA Atlanta would be Charlotte or Nashville. The Atlanta area would not qualify for some federal funding due to clean air restrictions if everyone that rode MARTA drove instead.
Uhhh, no. While an important asset to the region (even with some mismanagement), it's not the reason why Atlanta is the dominant force within the Southeast that it is. Houston and Miami are both larger than Atlanta and have nothing like MARTA.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I think they'd win more support if they simply said, "You know, we thought about doing a fancy promotional video but decided it would be better to spend the public's money on operations."
I doubt that very seriously.

I mean really people, it's a friggin' Vimeo video. Like really.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Uhhh, no. While an important asset to the region (even with some mismanagement), it's not the reason why Atlanta is the dominant force within the Southeast that it is. Houston and Miami are both larger than Atlanta and have nothing like MARTA.
Houston= energy sector
Miami= tourism and gateway to latin america.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Houston= energy sector
Miami= tourism and gateway to latin america.
Which helps to prove the point.

As valuable as an HRT system is, it's not going to be the biggest driving factor between long-term robust metropolitan growth. Furthermore, Atlanta was already way ahead of cities like Charlotte and Nashville when MARTA was just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta