Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 AM

15 posts, read 30,451 times

Advertisements

I will be transferring to a job in Downtown Atlanta, from D.C. at the end of the month. I do not wish to live in Atlanta, I am leaning towards the Smyrna-Vinings area. A close relative lives in Smyrna and I would like to be in close proximity to her, but I'm wondering if the commute each day to the downtown area will be a bad idea?

I could easily afford to live in Midtown, but I prefer the suburbs, although I'm single and without children.

Is the commute from West Village in Smyrna to downtown horrendous? How much time should I allocate towards traffic? Will I be sitting in traffic for an hour if I leave my apartment at 7:00am, each morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,998 times
It normally takes about 15 minutes or so w/o traffic. So maybe it'll take about 20-25 minutes w/traffic. Also there;s backroads into the city that you take as well. Your commute shouldn't be over 30 minutes tops(if it rains or there's an accident that's another story). i'm estimating because I dont do the commute, but just from what I've heard

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
Depends on the starting point to be very specific, but Smyrna is generally up to half an hour each way with moderate rush hour to Downtown. One of my friends did that commute for years (so my knowledge is second hand).

I would definitely not leave your residence after 7:00 am sharp on school days, you will get into work more quickly as the surface roads get really busy by that time (this applies just about anywhere in the metro).

Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,968 times
What time do you have to be at work?

When I worked downtown and lived in Smyrna I could leave at 7:25am and be in my office in downtown at 8am on 75 south.

When I would leave work at 4:30pm I would get home at 5:10pm.

Generally traffic from Smyrna to Atlanta isn't bad generally especially compared to what you are used to

Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 AM

190 posts, read 318,958 times
That's probably one of the "best" commutes in the Atlanta area. Depending on where in Smyrna you are, you can be downtown in as little at 15 min. Obviously that's in ideal conditions, but I would say 25-30 max most days in traffic. One of the advantages of Smyrna is there are multiple ways of getting downtown. If you get on I-75 at I-285, you will normally miss all the traffic backups outside 285 and it's a 10 minute shot to midtown. You can also take a number of back roads, including Atlanta Rd. all the way in or even Paces Ferry to Northside Dr. You said you'll be in the West Village, so you're convenient to 75 and Atl Rd...at that time of day, I could be on 14th st. in 15 minutes easily.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 AM

246 posts, read 374,937 times
I live in Smyrna & I have to agree with everyone else, the commute to anywhere from downtown all the way up to Buckhead is not bad at all. The closer you live to an on-ramp, the better & West Village is right on 285, so you are good. When I worked in midtown, I would take 285 to 75 & exit Howell Mill to take surface streets to the office & my commute was never worse than 30 minutes on high traffic days. Getting into downtown would be just as easy. Depending on where exactly your office is, you can just take Atlanta Road all the way to W Marietta St to Marietta St & you can be at GT, Coke HQ, GWCC, etc in no time.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
What time do you have to be at work?

When I worked downtown and lived in Smyrna I could leave at 7:25am and be in my office in downtown at 8am on 75 south.

When I would leave work at 4:30pm I would get home at 5:10pm.

Generally traffic from Smyrna to Atlanta isn't bad generally especially compared to what you are used to
I do not have to be in the office, until 8am.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiime View Post
That's probably one of the "best" commutes in the Atlanta area. Depending on where in Smyrna you are, you can be downtown in as little at 15 min. Obviously that's in ideal conditions, but I would say 25-30 max most days in traffic. One of the advantages of Smyrna is there are multiple ways of getting downtown. If you get on I-75 at I-285, you will normally miss all the traffic backups outside 285 and it's a 10 minute shot to midtown. You can also take a number of back roads, including Atlanta Rd. all the way in or even Paces Ferry to Northside Dr. You said you'll be in the West Village, so you're convenient to 75 and Atl Rd...at that time of day, I could be on 14th st. in 15 minutes easily.
I will be staying in the West Village area: Welcome to West Village, Atlanta, Georgia - LIVE, SHOP, PLAY!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 AM

246 posts, read 374,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amira_Amira2013 View Post
I do not have to be in the office, until 8am.
Where is your office located?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
Where is your office located?
CNN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta