Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 13,354 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the information. I now have a starting point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
You may also want to look at Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area - this is the southern tip of Cobb County and easy commute to Colony Square area.

Typical suburban but there are some properties that would meet her desire to walk to a local coffee shop

Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
You may also want to look at Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area - this is the southern tip of Cobb County and easy commute to Colony Square area.

Typical suburban but there are some properties that would meet her desire to walk to a local coffee shop
The Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area of Southeast Cobb County is an excellent suggestion for the original poster's mother.

That's because the Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area is (hopefully) convenient to where services for the original poster's aunt is located in Cobb County.

The Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area is also an area of relatively low crime (by Metro Atlanta area standards) and is an area that is within a relatively very-easy rush hour commuting distance of the Colony Square area where the original poster's mother will be working in Midtown Atlanta.

And because of the availability of affordable housing (particularly higher-density single-family and multi-family housing), the Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area is a good location for the original poster's mother to consider with a budget of no more than $1,000 monthly for housing.

The only drawback to that location as it relates to the original poster's request for an area that is accessible to public transportation is that, like most areas in Metro Atlanta outside of the I-285 Perimeter, public transportation is not necessarily as widely available or accessible in the Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area as it is inside of I-285.

Though, there are a few very limited public transportation options available between the Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area and Midtown Atlanta where the original poster's mother will be working, those public transportation options are not necessarily the most convenient.

Despite Metro Atlanta's well-known traffic issues, in most cases outside of the I-285 Perimeter, it is still much more convenient to drive than it is to attempt to use public transportation, if the the public transportation option even exists, which it doesn't in most places in Metro Atlanta outside of I-285.

The original poster's mother should be aware that she likely will not be using the very-little public transportation that exists outside of I-285 and will have no choice but to drive everywhere (particularly when commuting to and from work everyday in Midtown Atlanta) if she relocates to Cobb County (or most any other place outside of I-285 or outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties).

Except in very limited circumstances, public transportation is not much of a real option outside of the I-285 Perimeter and can sometimes be spotty inside of it.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 PM

163 posts, read 431,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdog30 View Post
I'm so sorry, my mom had her first child when she was 20 and I'm 30 so at 53 she has really lived! She wouldn't care if I called her older. I'm horrible! Sorry about that.
Heee! LoriLove, I'm 44, and I actually was horrified at the description of an "older woman" as well.

Original poster, I get that she's your mom and that you're 30, but I've really lived, too, and I hope that at 53, my 30-year-old friends and relatives aren't one step short of putting me in a nursing home.

I also don't know your situation, or your mom's, or the dynamic between you. Is your mother comfortable living alone and finding her own way, or is she relying on you for all this information? Fifty-three is still really young for most people. I understand that her sister will be in Cobb, and there's that, but is there any reason that your mother needs help negotiating this?

I only ask because it could influence the answers you get.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:48 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Cobb is fairly large. Do you have a specific area of Cobb and how close does your mom need to be?

Parts of N. Fulton and other areas that were recommended are pretty far from parts of Cobb.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Here's your main problem: You are seeking something that doesn't exist.

You want a safe and clean area near public transportation convenient to Cobb county all for under $1000?

Well, we can forget about price point for a second because a location convenient to Cobb county AND public transportation doesn't exist AT ANY PRICE POINT because public transportation does not go to Cobb county. They have their own Cobb County Transit and the metro area uses MARTA, so any use of public transportation would invovle transferring between CCT and MARTA, not exactly convenient. And I am speaking of buses here, there is NO RAIL anywhere near Cobb county.

If your mother is only in her early 50s, I am assuming that means she is capable of driving, she just doesn't like to.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to forget about proximity to Cobb county because she can drive there during off-peak times, so even if the thought of traffic scares her, she can go when there isn't any. So let's worry about getting her close to MARTA....

My suggestion would be to put her on the Dunwoody MARTA line and locate her in the Perimeter area. This way she is close to a MARTA train to commute into town and only a few miles to Cobb county, an easy drive on weekends or off-peak times. The only thing is, I don't know if she can get in for that price point. Maybe if she is fine with a small 1 bedroom or studio, but honestly I don't even know if that is possible, but it's a decent place to start.

I've got to ask, where has she found this situation in Southern California?

Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Your options are slim but not NONE - I am not sure if it can be done for less than $1,000

If your mother lives in the Cumberland Mall area -I believe she can walk to the CCT station at Cumberland Mall and take a direct bus to the Marta Arts Station which is right next door to Colony Square (easy walk)

This should all be very doable in under 1 hour. On bad weather days (mostly heavy rain or high heat - only the occasional snow) the walk portion can be miserable. There are some brand new luxury apartments going up Walton at Riverwood or The Heights Stillhouse but I expect they will not be cheap. A little farther walk is Madison Vinings Ridge - these are older but still nice apartments.

If she will need public transportation to visit her sister in Cobb County this is your best choice because CCT is the only option traveling in Cobb

Old 08-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Heee! LoriLove, I'm 44, and I actually was horrified at the description of an "older woman" as well.

Original poster, I get that she's your mom and that you're 30, but I've really lived, too, and I hope that at 53, my 30-year-old friends and relatives aren't one step short of putting me in a nursing home.

I also don't know your situation, or your mom's, or the dynamic between you. Is your mother comfortable living alone and finding her own way, or is she relying on you for all this information? Fifty-three is still really young for most people. I understand that her sister will be in Cobb, and there's that, but is there any reason that your mother needs help negotiating this?

I only ask because it could influence the answers you get.

Thank you all for you information. I think that I should clarify a few things.

-My mother is in no way shape or form not capable of driving or making her way around a city. She has been driving a car since she was 16.

-She has been driving in Traffic for almost her entire life. She was born and raised in Southern California.

-I am helping her with her quest to find housing and transportation because I love her and I would like to help her in any way possible. I am also fortunate to not have to work.

I decided to try posting something on this site so that I could get information not to have people comment on my choice of wording for my title.

If you should have another information that would help with my original question I would appreciate your input. Otherwise please do not waste your time with this thread.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Here's your main problem: You are seeking something that doesn't exist.

You want a safe and clean area near public transportation convenient to Cobb county all for under $1000?

Well, we can forget about price point for a second because a location convenient to Cobb county AND public transportation doesn't exist AT ANY PRICE POINT because public transportation does not go to Cobb county. They have their own Cobb County Transit and the metro area uses MARTA, so any use of public transportation would invovle transferring between CCT and MARTA, not exactly convenient. And I am speaking of buses here, there is NO RAIL anywhere near Cobb county.

If your mother is only in her early 50s, I am assuming that means she is capable of driving, she just doesn't like to.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to forget about proximity to Cobb county because she can drive there during off-peak times, so even if the thought of traffic scares her, she can go when there isn't any. So let's worry about getting her close to MARTA....

My suggestion would be to put her on the Dunwoody MARTA line and locate her in the Perimeter area. This way she is close to a MARTA train to commute into town and only a few miles to Cobb county, an easy drive on weekends or off-peak times. The only thing is, I don't know if she can get in for that price point. Maybe if she is fine with a small 1 bedroom or studio, but honestly I don't even know if that is possible, but it's a decent place to start.

I've got to ask, where has she found this situation in Southern California?
Thank you for your helpful information.

To answer your question. Public transportation stinks in Southern California. She was hoping to find a change of pace by using public transport. For example she drives about an hour in traffic to get to work in southern California. She was hoping that the ATL area would give her more transport options such as rail so she could enjoy her time by reading or something. IF she must drive I am sure she will. I did not put a lot of info in the original post as I was kind of hoping to get factual responses and for some reason I seem to have hit a nerve with some ladies.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area of Southeast Cobb County is an excellent suggestion for the original poster's mother.

That's because the Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area is (hopefully) convenient to where services for the original poster's aunt is located in Cobb County.

The Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area is also an area of relatively low crime (by Metro Atlanta area standards) and is an area that is within a relatively very-easy rush hour commuting distance of the Colony Square area where the original poster's mother will be working in Midtown Atlanta.

And because of the availability of affordable housing (particularly higher-density single-family and multi-family housing), the Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area is a good location for the original poster's mother to consider with a budget of no more than $1,000 monthly for housing.

The only drawback to that location as it relates to the original poster's request for an area that is accessible to public transportation is that, like most areas in Metro Atlanta outside of the I-285 Perimeter, public transportation is not necessarily as widely available or accessible in the Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area as it is inside of I-285.

Though, there are a few very limited public transportation options available between the

Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings area and Midtown Atlanta where the original poster's mother will be working, those public transportation options are not necessarily the most convenient.

Despite Metro Atlanta's well-known traffic issues, in most cases outside of the I-285 Perimeter, it is still much more convenient to drive than it is to attempt to use public transportation, if the the public transportation option even exists, which it doesn't in most places in Metro Atlanta outside of I-285.

The original poster's mother should be aware that she likely will not be using the very-little public transportation that exists outside of I-285 and will have no choice but to drive everywhere (particularly when commuting to and from work everyday in Midtown Atlanta) if she relocates to Cobb County (or most any other place outside of I-285 or outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties).

Except in very limited circumstances, public transportation is not much of a real option outside of the I-285 Perimeter and can sometimes be spotty inside of it.
Thank you for all of your information this will come in very handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta