Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmomNY View Post
Do you mean Milton over Cambridge for theater, or just Milton/Cambridge over Lambert?

Does one area have more of a "small town feel" over another?

We've been to Milton a lot, we love that you can get more property and that the homes aren't on top of each other. We haven't been to South Forsyth area just yet
If I were you, I would lean towards Milton. While there may be a few Jews in S. Forsyth, I am certain there are a few more in the Milton area. (And even at this, you do realize that the Jewish community won't be very large, right?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
Also, we would be looking to join a Jewish synogogue (we are pretty reformed!) Not sure if one of those areas would cater to that more than another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
If I were you, I would lean towards Milton. While there may be a few Jews in S. Forsyth, I am certain there are a few more in the Milton area. (And even at this, you do realize that the Jewish community won't be very large, right?)
That's an excellent point by lastminutemom.

There are not necessarily many (if any) Jewish community institutions in the areas in which you are looking.

Most Jewish community institutions in Metro Atlanta are further south in Cobb, Fulton, Gwinnett and DeKalb counties and closer to and inside of the I-285 Perimeter.

Likely the furthest north that you will find a synagogue in Metro Atlanta is in the Johns Creek/Alpharetta and Roswell areas in North Fulton County.

Here is a link to a map of synagogues and other Jewish community institutions and services on the website of the Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta:
Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta Interactive Community Map

Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 PM

27 posts, read 59,421 times
What about Hamilton Mill area in Gwinnett? Or Chateu Elan. Came across those neighborhoods on the web.

Anyone know if those areas would suit what we are looking for?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:18 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
What about Hamilton Mill area in Gwinnett? Or Chateu Elan. Came across those neighborhoods on the web.

Anyone know if those areas would suit what we are looking for?
Both Hamilton Mill and Chateau Elan are really nice communities (both are great golf-tennis-swim communities), though as a gated community, Chateau Elan is more upscale than Hamilton Mill.

All of the Hamilton Mill community is located in the feeder zone for Mill Creek High School in nearby Hoschton while only about two-thirds of the Chateau Elan community is located in the feeder zone for Mill Creek High School in the Gwinnett County Schools system, the other third or less of the Chateau Elan housing development is located in Barrow County and feeds into Winder-Barrow High School in Winder, GA.

Though it has had problems with overcrowding in the past before nearby Mountain View High School opened in 2009 to relieve it, Mill Creek High School in particular is a strong high school with very-strong athletic teams and a very-strong athletic program overall that gets lots of community support.

Mill Creek also appears to have a decent drama program with a good deal of community support.

Link to webpage for the Mill Creek Encore Alliance booster club:
MCEA Booster Club

Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times
How important is Having other Jewish families nearby to you?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:03 PM

We celebrate both Hanukah and Christmas, my husband is not Jewish. However, we are raising our children Jewish, and it would be nice to be close enough to a reform synagogue for Hebrew School. Don't need for them to be the majority, but would like a few other Jewish kids in their class...

Am I making sense??

Old 08-05-2013, 12:14 PM

528 posts, read 1,283,834 times
We live in Laurel Springs. Just met another jewish family through this website who moved into our neighborhood from NYC. There are some jews here but not like NYC though no one here cares or really asks. I would use schooldigger.com and greatschools.org to see what schools rank where. I didn't care for Hamilton Mill area. Milton would have been nice but too far of a commute for us so this is where we ended up and we LOVE IT. Great community, swim/tennis, lots of transplants from all over (we are from Buffalo, NY), and YES, you can have your kids go out and play in our neighborhood without worrying. Let me know if you'd like more specific info.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 PM

Think we have to get down there soon and check it out!

What do you think the best middle school is?? Very interested in that considering my daughter will be going to middle school next year...

Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
More or less any of the middle school that feed the HS you are looking for are some of the best.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:16 PM

161 posts, read 405,400 times
To be closer to the synagogues, I recommend staying east of 400. The conundrum is that the Milton area is definitely more scenic and spread out, expect at least 20 minute drive for Hebrew school. S. Forsyth is actually quite compact, but in your budget you'll find an idyllic neighborhood. We live in Johns Creek, with 2 reformed synagogues only 5 minutes from us, and quite a few non-traditional and traditional Jewish families as neighbors (Chattahoochee HS feeder zone). Not sure why you ruled out Johns Creek, but you'll find neighborhoods that match your needs here too. Excellent schools anywhere you go in these areas... Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta