Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 AM

552 posts, read 720,546 times

Advertisements

Tampas stadium is not in a suburb, its in the city of Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The only reason that the Landover Redskins moved from DC was that Jack Kent Cooke and the DC government couldn't agree to terms for public-private partnership, taxes and other items. RFK is still standing and is being used by the Soccer team with a proposal to build an entirely new park for it. In addition, the Gray administration has been holding talks with Snyder about moving back to the city into a city owned stadium. That's a problem since the Redskins are sole owners of FedEx Field and have some serious long-term concessions to the state of MD and Prince George's County (the jurisdiction where it's located) to fulfill.

As a note, both the Wizards (Bullets) and Capitals used to play at the Capital Center, only a mile or so from FedEx, prior to moving back to DC.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:21 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillgineer View Post
The stadium deal has been filled with "everybody knows" statements with absolutely no backing. This is just another one of those. Show me an INDEPENDENT analysis that states that the GWCC would fail to attract conventions without the Georgia Dome. Until then, I'll go with my own extensive professional experience which is the Georgia Dome does absolutely nothing to attract the professional conferences that make up the bulk of GWCC events. I'd much rather go to a convention in a city where it blends into the neighborhood rather than a site next to a big lifeless wall that blocks it off from the rest of the city. I have to wonder how many people here have actually attended GWCC events versus how many are playing SimCity in their head while looking at the satellite maps on Google Earth. It's the only explanation I can see for thinking something so absolutely mind boggling inane as the GWCC being unable to attract a proctologist convention because there is no Georgia Dome sitting next to the meeting hall.
You nailed it.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

Suburban (10): Arizona, Buffalo, Dallas, Kansas City, Miami, New York (x2), San Diego, Tampa Bay, Washington.
Exurban (1): New England.

Also, to counter any personal feelings I may have, any stadium in the team name's city but in an area that could easily pass for a suburb was classified as a suburban team. This meant that Kansas City, San Diego, and Tampa got moved from "in-town" to suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
And realistically, the ones that are in the suburbs are most likely there because there's nowhere to put them downtown. Where would Miami, Washington, New York or Tampa build NFL sized stadiums downtown?
Well, Tampa might possibly have room to build the stadium somewhere along Dale Mabry. Oh wait, that's exactly what they did!!!

Tampa's stadium is and always has been in Tampa. It is only 3 miles from downtown and is most definitely "in-town". I've been to that part of town, and there's no way you could consider it suburban. I know the analysis is somewhat subjective, but you need to re-evaluate this one.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 AM

225 posts, read 277,980 times
Anybody who has been to an NCAA Final Four or Super Bowl or SEC Championship knows why the stadium needs to be downtown.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Miami built an baseball park on the site of the old Orange Bowl less than 3 miles from downtown.

Washington built a baseball park less than 2 miles from the Capitol building.

New York had plans around 2005 to build the Jets a new building on the west side of Manhattan. The plan fell through though.

Tampa... move that team to suburban London for all I care.

Now the baseball parks have a slightly smaller footprint, but if they really wanted to, I'm sure they could find the land. It might be cost prohibitive however.

I still fail to see why having a stadium downtown is so important. Sure it gives an identity, but the Georgia Dome has proven that the downtown stadium can be a black hole for development. I wonder what the cost difference would be between building it downtown versus in a suburban site. I really don't care where they build it, but I think these are healthy things to at least consider.
Have you ever seen how many people get off the Marta going to games on Sunday? Obviously not.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
Anybody who has been to an NCAA Final Four or Super Bowl or SEC Championship knows why the stadium needs to be downtown.
Ya know? This topic is dumb anyways…

If people want a stadium OTP put your money together and build one!

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 08-11-2013 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 01:29 PM

730 posts, read 827,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
well technically Dallas attracts similar events for a stadium that is the suburbs. I actually don't really care where it is built, just as long as it is connected to a MARTA station. You have to take advantage of what you have and it would seem silly to me to alienate large portion of your fan base that relies on the system to get to games.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:22 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The only reason that the Landover Redskins moved from DC was that Jack Kent Cooke and the DC government couldn't agree to terms for public-private partnership, taxes and other items. RFK is still standing and is being used by the Soccer team with a proposal to build an entirely new park for it. In addition, the Gray administration has been holding talks with Snyder about moving back to the city into a city owned stadium. That's a problem since the Redskins are sole owners of FedEx Field and have some serious long-term concessions to the state of MD and Prince George's County (the jurisdiction where it's located) to fulfill.

As a note, both the Wizards (Bullets) and Capitals used to play at the Capital Center, only a mile or so from FedEx, prior to moving back to DC.
NFL stadiums don't belong in the city. They require parking which is a nonstarter for urban cities. Now that RFK is open, that area can be turned into yet another urban neighborhood in DC. It will connect with HillEast. The only way the redskins should be allowed to come back to DC is if ALL parking is underground and apartment and condo high-rises are built on top of those underground parking garages. DC tries to avoid building above ground parking garages at all costs if possible.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:57 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Have you ever seen how many people get off the Marta going to games on Sunday? Obviously not.
This proves nothing.

Perhaps they take MARTA because of the lack of parking and tailgating options. If given a reasonably affordable opportunity to tailgate at a location with good highway access, do you think they might consider driving? Hmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta