Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,845,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
If money is no object, Buckhead. Buckhead will keep you out of the traffic bc you are in the center of things (I mean Buckhead south of Lenox Square--the Lenox area is killer for traffic, if you ask me).
To avoid the traffic I'd stay south of the Village. West Paces is a killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:14 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,151,708 times
Maybe she wants to take her child herself or maybe she doesn't want her child to have to endure long rides in traffic or maybe she wants to be in close proximity to classmates for playdates. These are all good reasons to live near school whether she has a nanny or not. Just think - the further away, the earlier she has to get her child out of the bed, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Both are great areas and it really comes down to personal preference. I agree to add Sandy Springs to the mix.

I wouldn't worry so much about this year, as has been mentioned, it's just timing that makes things difficult. Don't make an entire lifestyle decision based on some pre-k timing that was tough to work through one year. It'll all settle out soon and you don't want to have to move.

If money is no object, just hire a nanny to cart your kid to whatever school you find and live where you want.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,409,455 times
I'm curious - if money is no object, there are certainly other 'hoods to consider. Is this a hypothetical? Or, are you chosing between the two areas?

Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM

2,307 posts, read 3,000,993 times
Well, her husband's job is in Dunwoody and she asked about private schools, which I think led her to Buckhead. Other posters also referred her to Sandy Springs, convenient both to several private schools and to Dunwoody.

The OP also had heard that Dunwoody is better for raisng children than Buckhead, and I was going to respond to that. I don't think one is better for kids over another. I live and raise children in south Buckhead, and although sometimes I wish we lived in a small town, I love Buckhead. It's convenient to everything. I'm never in my car more than ten minutes at a time and we can actually walk places. I've never lived in Dunwoody, but I imagine a similar niche could be carved out there. I'm just saying they are probably comparable and that for sure, Buckhead is a fine place for children, as far as Atlanta goes.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 AM

For sure. Most of Buckhead is residential area with single family homes, low-rise condos/townhomes, parks, mature trees, sidewalks, etc. We have at least two parks within walking distance to us as well as Piedmont Park, which is only a few miles away, and Chastain Park, with all that it offers, which is also in Buckhead. One park also is part of the Atlanta Park district and has tennis courts, etc. as well as classes for children. And as I mentioned, Chastain Park. It is really a gem in the community not to mention great for events, etc. Then there are numerous options, including music classes, gymnastics classes, etc. and many of the best public and private schools in the city - within a five mile radius. Maybe some people think of Buckhead and just think Lenox Mall? That is such a small part of Buckhead. Buckhead is actually very child-friendly. And it's also got to have one of the highest densities of quality grocery stores (Publix, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc.) and shopping (boutique and chain) in the city. Yes, AtlJan, I enjoy never driving more than a few miles also for everything that I need and to take my child anywhere for enjoyment.

Quote:
The OP also had heard that Dunwoody is better for raisng children than Buckhead, and I was going to respond to that. I don't think one is better for kids over another. I live and raise children in south Buckhead, and although sometimes I wish we lived in a small town, I love Buckhead. It's convenient to everything. I'm never in my car more than ten minutes at a time and we can actually walk places. I've never lived in Dunwoody, but I imagine a similar niche could be carved out there. I'm just saying they are probably comparable and that for sure, Buckhead is a fine place for children, as far as Atlanta goes.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Yep, Lovely, you nailed it. There is a reason real estate is expensive here. It's a great place to live!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,280 times
The biggest priority for me would be my daughter's school, unfortunately most of the schools I approached (in buckhead and dunwoody)are not accepting students at this time, but some have offered to keep us on waitlist. Though, I did hear back from couple of schools in Sandy Springs. Like some one suggested above it really does look like we have to take it easy!

Hadn't heard of Sandy springs till I read the posts, I looked up Sandy Springs - agree its a good option. Buckhead seems to be popular but I wanted to be sure that it's not only about shopping and dining. Dunwoody in every search comes up to be a bustling family station along with Alpharetta and Roswell (heard they have dense traffic - so no point)

Thanks again all of you

Old 08-31-2013, 05:24 PM

Buckhead encompasses a large area of residential neighborhoods--Peachtree Hills, Peachtree Park, Garden Hills, Peachtree Heights East, Peachtree Heights West, Peachtree Battle, Lenox Park, Chastain Park, area around Morris Brandon Elem...These are all residential areas. I am sure I left out a lot of neighborhoods. . .others may fill in the rest.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:01 PM

We already said it's very residential and listed a ton of kid-friendly stuff. Obviously, the OP did not read all the posts. Oh well. On to the next thread.
Quote:
Buckhead encompasses a large area of residential neighborhoods--Peachtree Hills, Peachtree Park, Garden Hills, Peachtree Heights East, Peachtree Heights West, Peachtree Battle, Lenox Park, Chastain Park, area around Morris Brandon Elem...These are all residential areas. I am sure I left out a lot of neighborhoods. . .others may fill in the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta