Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:46 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
He makes GSU 10x worse then it actually is. GSU has faults, but you can still get a good education and entry level-job afterward. I've learned to just appreciate what GSU has to offer and not complain.
Indeed, and when I did my undergrad there I had no shortage of things to get involved in (Greek Life, SGA, etc.), anyone who says "GSU doesn't have an active student life" and actually goes to school there is either ignorant or flat out lying.

Quote:
He has an infatuation with colleges though. Once you get 3-5 year of work experience, your undergraduate education almost doesn't matter anyway.
Yes and no. I found my grad degree from Tech got me further professionally (due to the nature of my field) but it was a GSU connection that got me my current position. Then again everyone's individual scenario is different of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Yes there are (the townhome complex at Edgewood & Piedmont)
They can't compare to actual Greek housing. If you haven't seen it, check out GT's east campus around the football stadium. Especially during Homecoming. Something for GSU to shoot for.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
They can't compare to actual Greek housing. If you haven't seen it, check out GT's east campus around the football stadium. Especially during Homecoming. Something for GSU to shoot for.
Walked through East Campus every day for two years while getting my masters, it's nice. However, considering Tech got a 90 year start in that area, GSU's houses are pretty good.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Walked through East Campus every day for two years while getting my masters, it's nice. However, considering Tech got a 90 year start in that area, GSU's houses are pretty good.
It's not the same. At GT, the setting is literally residential with large to medium sized homes with front and backyards. Like a classic suburban subdivision of frat and sorority houses. Entirely different kind of atmosphere more akin to the stereotypical Greek row on college campuses. It gives GT its Party Scene and classic college social atmosphere for Fall Rush, Homecoming, and football games in general. I suppose that is GSU's biggest shortcoming in terms of imparting the full "college experience".

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Georg...92.26,,0,14.05

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Georg...40.92,,0,13.46

I don't know how GSU can do something truly similar with no similar residential area nearby to buy up. Maybe if GSU bought out the area around Edgewood across the Connector and built it up with large homes it could be done.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Georg...65.19,,0,12.74

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 09-26-2013 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I could also see the GSU frats moving to the Old Fourth Ward or Inman Park. They're both pretty close by.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I could also see the GSU frats moving to the Old Fourth Ward or Inman Park. They're both pretty close by.
Possibly. But it'd have to be unified and contiguous to work. GT has a hard enough time with campus security and its Greek housing are well within GT's boundaries. Quite a distance walking between there and GSU's academic campus. And it would probably stir the usual political issues with gentrification.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
Send the frats to underground. lolololololollo

I wonder what's better the homeless of Atlanta or the Greek members of Georgia State University. Hmmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta