Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:51 PM

632 posts, read 936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Could the reference to a reservoir in northwest Atlanta be about a proposed park that was mentioned as a possible use for the old quarry that is west/northwest of downtown by about 2-3 miles? Has the proposal advanced beyond the talking stage?
The quarry can readily be seen from the air out of the left side of windows on many flights into Atlanta, especially when the plane is east bound directly over I-20 as has happened repeatedly on my approaches into Atlanta.
I believe that the quarry area was featured in 2 episodes near the end of season 1 of The Walking Dead. The midtown Atlanta skyline could be seen in the distance more than once.
Yes, this is what I was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 PM

23,577 posts, read 44,313,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
I think you're talking about two different places. The reservoir is NW of downtown in West Midtown. Bellwood Quarry is somewhat south of there. The Beltline should eventually run by both.

Last edited by Iconographer; 11-18-2013 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 07:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Hold on there....

Having lived in Chicago 10 years, it's not all bustling. It's bustling in pockets, just like Atlanta's downtown.

For the most part it's Michigan Ave, State Street, LaSalle St.(financial district) and maybe Dearborne Ave. in terms of the bustling in downtown Chicago. Monday-Friday (Bankers hours) you have your work crowd but trust me, there are many areas in downtown Chicago that are DEAD after 5pm and even more so on Sat./Sun.
Thanks! I to lived in Chicago and even Philly for 10 years.
In each city you will find the good, bad, and ugly.
As you stated about Chicago, go to far south or west off Michigan and good luck. Same in Philly. To far off of Old Town, Society, or Chris Columbus, good luck.

Atlanta has some great parts and some dicey areas.

Maybe if folks spent their time trying to find diamonds in the rough instead of focusing on the turds in the cat box they might just be a little less bitchyy!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,823,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Gotcha

I hope that happens. Still too small and away from downtown to be a major feature, but I can see it being a Jewel of a new urban residential neighborhood that puts down roots in the area.

Sadly, it might take awhile. It isn't a very cost-effective project. As a reservoir it doesn't really hold much water compared to the cost of keeping it sealed. I think the Atlanta Beltline will have to shoulder the main burden of the costs, but I think they are prioritizing their funds to create green parkland and greenways, because they are cheaper and have a more widespread impact for the short-run.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:37 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,772,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbagecity View Post
Detroit has gorgeous architecture and a prewar urban fabric, the city is known for being the Paris of the west, Atlanta has absolutely none of that.

Atlanta is a sunbelt city, the place is essentially nothing but suburbia with a glorified office park in the middle, know your place Atlanta and stay in your lane because every Rustbelt city and Coastal city is absolutely miles above you when it comes to beauty. You're on the same level as Houston.
Ahh look at the beautiful architecture
https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-83.0457538

Oh wait no, wrong link
https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...!4d-84.3879824

Old 10-11-2016, 07:05 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,452,777 times
Quote:
Detroit has gorgeous architecture and a prewar urban fabric, the city is known for being the Paris of the west, Atlanta has absolutely none of that.

Atlanta is a sunbelt city, the place is essentially nothing but suburbia with a glorified office park in the middle, know your place Atlanta and stay in your lane because every Rustbelt city and Coastal city is absolutely miles above you when it comes to beauty. You're on the same level as Houston.
Detroit, Montreal, Buenos Aires, Denver, San Fran have been called the Paris of the West at times as well. The rest of your post is simply untrue. What about Atlanta causes you to say this?

Old 10-11-2016, 07:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,873,281 times
Quote:

The bold is true about Detroit. No mater what people negatively associate with the city, it does have its charms and it is very architecturally interesting in Detroit especially their downtown/midtown area.

Not sure why the poster revived a 3 year old thread, but will note that in this forum Detroit does get a lot of negativity for some odd reason. Detroit is a pretty cool city. It is not as new as Atlanta though and it does deal with blight (as does Atlanta, but Atlanta is not on the level in regards to blight as Detroit is but honestly Detroit is not even the most blighted city I have ever seen, Gary, Indiana is the most blighted city I've ever seen). But Detroit in its core neighborhoods as a lot of character and beauty and its homes do have a lot of interesting architecture.

I think most of the posters here in the Atlanta forum haven't ever visited Detroit or know anything about the city other than what they see on the media which is mostly negative. I have family in Detroit and I lived there a few years and even though, like Atlanta, it has its ugly parts, like Atlanta, it also has its beautiful neighborhoods and like I said 3 years ago downtown Detroit is beautiful. Especially so in regards to it's riverfront:

Detroit Riverwalk:

Street scenes (Greektown area):

A neighborhood one of my family members live in:

Old 10-11-2016, 08:02 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,647,255 times
Why did you revive a three year-old thread Garbageman?

Old 10-11-2016, 08:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,965,597 times
Quote:
You chose isolated areas outside of the actual urban core. Detroit is larger than Manhattan and SF combined, you can't generalize based on streets in the outer ring areas. I can show you plenty of Detroit neighborhoods filled with historical mansions and urban pre-war fabrics.

Show me where these kind of stunning pre-war streetwalls and architecture exists in Atlanta:

(google map links aren't working for some reason)

You can't, because all sunbelt cities destroyed any ounce of urbanity or beautiful architecture they had and replaced it with highways and office parks. You are VERY much below cities like Detroit, Cleveland, and even Buffalo when it comes to beauty. The media's negative propaganda of Rustbelt cities does not give you a pass to start spewing ignorance as well.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7562...2!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7549...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 10-11-2016, 08:09 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,452,777 times
Quote:
San Francisco has no French history, I don't know anyone who would honestly give it that nickname.
The French in San Francisco, 1800s. The Maritime Heritage Project. Sea Captains, Ships, World Seaports, Immigration and Passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta