Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 03:47 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,983,971 times

Advertisements

I use to live in the Lakeview area of Chicago. Who with money wants to live in neighborhood with the problems that come from a high concentration of bars and clubs with a last call at 3 or 4am. Those neighborhoods are nice for cities in their infancy to build a certain image that they are lively and for tourism but Atlanta is so far beyond that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 10:47 AM

711 posts, read 684,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I use to live in the Lakeview area of Chicago. Who with money wants to live in neighborhood with the problems that come from a high concentration of bars and clubs with a last call at 3 or 4am. Those neighborhoods are nice for cities in their infancy to build a certain image that they are lively and for tourism but Atlanta is so far beyond that.
Good point, which is why downtown tourist districts are usually best for this sort of thing. The Buckhead Village bar scene grew organically when Underground Atlanta died out in the 70s and 80s before its revival as an underground mall. I think Underground has the potential to become the default party district again once South Downtown and Atlantic Yards take off and have a more seamless connection to Five Points to the arena and stadium. Basically, an oversized version of The Battery.

As for last call, when and why did it change to 2:30 a.m. from 4 a.m? I recall seeing a study that cities with later last calls see fewer incidences of drunk driving and post-closing fights. The thinking is that with a 4 a.m. last call, there's a longer stretch of time for people to sober up and less binge drinking in the last couple of hours. With fewer drunks, you have fewer people with liquid courage to start something in the parking lot that could escalate into a shootout.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:09 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,949,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Good point, which is why downtown tourist districts are usually best for this sort of thing. The Buckhead Village bar scene grew organically when Underground Atlanta died out in the 70s and 80s before its revival as an underground mall. I think Underground has the potential to become the default party district again once South Downtown and Atlantic Yards take off and have a more seamless connection to Five Points to the arena and stadium. Basically, an oversized version of The Battery.

As for last call, when and why did it change to 2:30 a.m. from 4 a.m? I recall seeing a study that cities with later last calls see fewer incidences of drunk driving and post-closing fights. The thinking is that with a 4 a.m. last call, there's a longer stretch of time for people to sober up and less binge drinking in the last couple of hours. With fewer drunks, you have fewer people with liquid courage to start something in the parking lot that could escalate into a shootout.
I may be wrong, but I believe Underground was granted a 4:00am close?

Old 03-24-2022, 02:05 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
When the Buckhead district died, I expected the Ponce Market/midtown and Little Five Points to really benefit but they never did really replace what was lost.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:38 PM

711 posts, read 684,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
When the Buckhead district died, I expected the Ponce Market/midtown and Little Five Points to really benefit but they never did really replace what was lost.
In the 90s, L5P was at the height of it's goth/EDM/alternative/emo/rock phase and not quite the crowd that would mesh well with the SEC school Greek crowd. I think the closest we have are brew pubs lining The Beltline.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:05 PM

1,376 posts, read 932,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
In the 90s, L5P was at the height of it's goth/EDM/alternative/emo/rock phase and not quite the crowd that would mesh well with the SEC school Greek crowd. I think the closest we have are brew pubs lining The Beltline.
Yeah, Old fourth ward east beltline, maybe the Westside Provisions District/West Midtown have potential to be that type of area. It will also be interesting to see the crowd around Centennial Yards if it's built out like the renderings and Underground Atlanta's redevelopment. That whole area connecting with Centennial Olympic Park and the touristy areas with the Ferris Wheel, Coke, GA Aquarium has potential as well.

Old 04-30-2022, 01:17 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,521,350 times
Quote:
Mayor Andre Dickens has rolled-out new training sessions for Atlanta business owners that want to do their part in making the city’s nightlife culture safer. It’s part of the city’s first “Nightlife Divison” within the Mayor’s Office to address establishments that have a history of high crime.

One city leader that’s been pushing for tougher crackdowns is District 11 City Councilwoman Marci Collier Overstreet.

She spoke with WABE’s “All Things Considered” last year about the increase of restaurants masquerading as nightclubs — where factors like late-night alcohol servings and overcrowding have led to [fights and parking lot shootings].
New workshops address how Atlanta nightlife is too often a backdrop for violence (WABE Atlanta)

Old 04-30-2022, 02:18 PM

34 posts, read 22,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Yeah, Old fourth ward east beltline, maybe the Westside Provisions District/West Midtown have potential to be that type of area. It will also be interesting to see the crowd around Centennial Yards if it's built out like the renderings and Underground Atlanta's redevelopment. That whole area connecting with Centennial Olympic Park and the touristy areas with the Ferris Wheel, Coke, GA Aquarium has potential as well.

West Midtown reminds me of the West Loop/Fulton Market in Chicago. Both have an industrial vibe. The problem is West midtown has no public transport and Howell Mill is a disaster. I love all the new buildings coming up but there's like no cohesive plan to stitch everything together like in Fulton Market. It definitely has potential tho. Sad most urban planning leaders in this city have no idea what they're doing.

Old 04-30-2022, 02:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,949,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianMabowski View Post
West Midtown reminds me of the West Loop/Fulton Market in Chicago. Both have an industrial vibe. The problem is West midtown has no public transport and Howell Mill is a disaster. I love all the new buildings coming up but there's like no cohesive plan to stitch everything together like in Fulton Market. It definitely has potential tho. Sad most urban planning leaders in this city have no idea what they're doing.
Of course they know what they're doing, they just don't have magic wands with attached budgets to make transit just 'happen.'

Old 04-30-2022, 03:44 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I think the councilwoman meant nightclubs masquerading as restaurants, not the other way around.

Be that as it may, why in tarnation do nightclubs have to lead to violence? Can't people simply enjoy a little music and conversation with their friends without pulling out guns? That is plumb crazy!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta