Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 PM

566 posts, read 888,929 times

Advertisements

Being that ATL is so spread out, it can seem like ATL's nightlife is non-existent. There are certain locations around the city where there are high concentrations of bars/venues, but they are seemingly hidden! That being the case where are they?

For starters I know that Crescent Ave in Midtown is packed on a Friday or Saturday Night because of its Clubs and N Highland Ave in VaHi for its Bars. One night, I happened to stumble upon Amsterdam Ave.. that was interesting. What are some popular Nightlife streets or districts that you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:54 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Only visitors who know little of Atlanta and are confined to downtown during their stay would think that Atlanta's nightlife is nonexistent. Although it's isn't quite as it was during the Buckhead Village days, Atlanta is still known for its nightlife.

The Edgewood area is fleshing out as an area for nightlife. And the Cheshire Bridge corridor if you're into the more raunchy stuff.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Only visitors who know little of Atlanta and are confined to downtown during their stay would think that Atlanta's nightlife is nonexistent....

I've lived here for a while, and I don't really find that much of a night life. I think it's all a matter of context. If you're used to a 24 hour environment, it's somewhat difficult to accept things shutting down at 2 a.m. And it feels like one inconvenience and a half to drive to a different county to party.

That doesn't mean that there are no places that stay open late in every county, but I have found them difficult to locate myself.

I liked Buckhead a lot better when it was more of a club distruct than a retail district. I get why it changed. I mean who can fault people with families paying millions of dollars for homes and not wanting all that noise. Still, I liked it better when it was more like The French Quarter on the weekends.

I kind of agree with the OP. The night life here, while not completely non-existent, is kind of weak.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I've lived here for a while, and I don't really find that much of a night life. I think it's all a matter of context. If you're used to a 24 hour environment, it's somewhat difficult to accept things shutting down at 2 a.m. And it feels like one inconvenience and a half to drive to a different county to party.

That doesn't mean that there are no places that stay open late in every county, but I have found them difficult to locate myself.

I liked Buckhead a lot better when it was more of a club distruct than a retail district. I get why it changed. I mean who can fault people with families paying millions of dollars for homes and not wanting all that noise. Still, I liked it better when it was more like The French Quarter on the weekends.

I kind of agree with the OP. The night life here, while not completely non-existent, is kind of weak.
You speak as if every other city in the country has a 24-hour party environment when, in fact, that's EXTREMELY rare. You'll only find that in NOLA, Vegas, and Miami Beach--that's pretty much it. And last call in Atlanta is at 2:30am and most establishments close at 3am (except Underground, which has a later last call). In Dekalb County, it's a little later. If the "24 hour party" environment is your gauge, then you're not going to be happy with the nightlife in the vast majority of cities, including NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, Houston, Dallas, etc. Frankly I'm glad I don't live in a city like that. We've got real industry here and people have real jobs, which is much less true for the 24-hour party cities; nobody has time to be partying all the time like that.

At any rate, you must be a relative newcomer or have a social circle that doesn't care for nightlife. For starters, you can ride through Midtown on any given Saturday night and run randomly into all kinds of nightlife venues. Other neighborhoods with nightlife include Buckhead (even without BV), East Atlanta Village, Virginia-Highland, Old Fourth Ward, etc.

Nightlife - Lounges
Atlanta Nightclubs
Ten Favorite Places For Nightlife In Atlanta | TripSmarter.Com

Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 AM

Well, guess which one I moved here from lol?

I am not sayihg every other city has a 24 hour environment; I am saying that this one doesn't. Also, I'm not sure I can go along with the NYC exclusion. Considering I saw beer in the window at McDonald's and had to put my pillow over my head to get to sleep in Manhattan, it doesn't really seem to shut down. (Granted, I liked the activity a lot.)

The thing is when a person keeps non-traditional hours, they have no respect for the traditional lock-down rules so it seems a bit boring and unnecessarily restrictive.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Well, guess which one I moved here from lol?

I am not sayihg every other city has a 24 hour environment; I am saying that this one doesn't. Also, I'm not sure I can go along with the NYC exclusion. Considering I saw beer in the window at McDonald's and had to put my pillow over my head to get to sleep in Manhattan, it doesn't really seem to shut down. (Granted, I liked the activity a lot.)

The thing is when a person keeps non-traditional hours, they have no respect for the traditional lock-down rules so it seems a bit boring and unnecessarily restrictive.
Manhattan is kinda sorta 24 hours, but even it has its sleepy parts. The point is it's not a 24 hour party city.

No offense at all, but it seems like a move back to NOLA, Vegas, or Miami Beach is in order. If having a 24 hour party environment is that important to you, why did you move here to begin with?

Apparently 98% of America is boring and "unnecessarily restrictive" from your perspective, LOL.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Manhattan is kinda sorta 24 hours, but even it has its sleepy parts. The point is it's not a 24 hour party city.

No offense at all, but it seems like a move back to NOLA, Vegas, or Miami Beach is in order. If having a 24 hour party environment is that important to you, why did you move here to begin with?

Apparently 98% of America is boring and "unnecessarily restrictive" from your perspective, LOL.
Ninety-eight percent is kind of high lol. Atlanta is on the especially restrictive side for a metro.

I am not saying I need a 24 hour party city, but I find it annoying that if the mood so strikes me, I need a compass to find what's open. Also, I am still saying that I agree with the OP, Atlanta's night life is watered downed.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 AM

322 posts, read 586,187 times
Quote:

Have you even been to Manhattan?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
it is tough to find places that are open 24/7, even from a non-party standpoint. restaurants (except for waffle house), pharmacies, stores, heck, there are some times that you need a hardware store at 2 AM— we've all been there. point is, it's not exactly common, even in downtown or midtown.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Sleep is a good alternative...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta