Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:02 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
To me the passing sounds like the main problem the Atlanta region has: everyone wants THEIR county to pay for THEIR things and then you have a region that doesn't work together. While I'm a transit and transportation supporter, this just shows how there will never be one regional transit system and how working to provide roads and other projects will only work in that county versus being useful to the entire region.
Gwinnett is a wealthy, diverse and urbanized region of a nearly a million people. They put entire states like Vermont, North Dakota and Wyoming in the shade. Their school system alone is larger than all but three Georgia cities.

Why shouldn't Gwinnett be in charge of its own destiny when it comes to transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Gwinnett is a wealthy, diverse and urbanized region of a nearly a million people. They put entire states like Vermont, North Dakota and Wyoming in the shade. Their school system alone is larger than all but three Georgia cities.

Why shouldn't Gwinnett be in charge of its own destiny when it comes to transportation?
But they are not serious about solving the congestion issues and/or building a reliable transit system, if it be bus or rail.
Nashville metro has just over 1 million people and has a full bus system and 1 commuter rail line.
I have no problem with Gwinnett taxing itself to benefit its citizens, but they have close to 1M people and need to come up with a REALLY solution to congestion. Poverty is constantly growing in that county and they are doing nothing to help those in need get to jobs. They just force everyone to own a car, which is expensive and adds to the growing poverty issue.
I could Gwinnett eventually joining MARTA, once Keith Parker gets it in order. But MARTA would have to have a clear path to building a rail lien into the count, because I don;t see Gwinnett joining the transit agency if it knows there is not concrete plans to build a rail line.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:12 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,369 times
Quote:

A lot of the progressives are now into "regionalism."

Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I could Gwinnett eventually joining MARTA, once Keith Parker gets it in order. But MARTA would have to have a clear path to building a rail lien into the count, because I don;t see Gwinnett joining the transit agency if it knows there is not concrete plans to build a rail line.
Those folks up in Gwinnett are smart and they don't mess around. If they wanted transit they would simply haul off and build it themselves.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Those folks up in Gwinnett are smart and they don't mess around. If they wanted transit they would simply haul off and build it themselves.
Yes and GCT is a great example.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 AM

MARTA would do backflips if they could persuade Gwinnett to come into their system.

However, Gwinnett simply isn't interested at this point. They are smart and they've got the resources to do whatever they please.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
MARTA would do backflips if they could persuade Gwinnett to come into their system.

However, Gwinnett simply isn't interested at this point. They are smart and they've got the resources to do whatever they please.
Then by all means a county of 800K people and a huge concentration of businesses, should have a functioning bus system that runs everyday. They don't even have that, which tells me they are not serious about creating a transit system.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Then by all means a county of 800K people and a huge concentration of businesses, should have a functioning bus system that runs everyday. They don't even have that, which tells me they are not serious about creating a transit system.
Exactly. Most of their leadership probably still thinks it's 1985 (when their population was about 200K).

Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
But seriously, who are we to say what Gwinnett county "should" have? If they want mass transit, it's certainly within their means to create it.

I think they simply don't want it.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 PM

348 posts, read 434,480 times
Quote:

Because at the end of the day it is still a suburb of Atlanta. Gwinnett's success is because of its proximity to Atlanta. Put that county outside of the metro area and do you think it would have the same success as it has now? No. Again because the hub of the region is Atlanta, a successful transit and transportation infrastructure should start with linking there first. Not trying to make Gwinnett a success without the rest of the region. Without Atlanta there would be no Gwinnett (the Gwinnett we all know and love). Atlanta doesn't need Gwinnett but Gwinnett does and continues to thrive because of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta