Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm curious about the Atlantic Stations jobs. At least the large law firms there moved from other buildings that were already in the city. So, in those cases, there was no increase in net jobs - low paying, high paying or otherwise. Does anyone know the NET effect that development had on jobs in the city? I'm sure it is positive, but I wonder just how material.
Everything is relative and part of a much larger part of the economy. Are you going to count the NET effect of the new business that moved into the old space left by the Atlanta company that relocated to Atlantic station? The stadium was displacing a whole community of businesses and homes, are we going to evaluate the NET effect there? Government is very ineffective at handing out money to create jobs. You have to set up a good competitive environment for many private businesses to flourish if you want real long lasting jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:29 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Everything is relative and part of a much larger part of the economy. Are you going to count the NET effect of the new business that moved into the old space left by the Atlanta company that relocated to Atlantic station? The stadium was displacing a whole community of businesses and homes, are we going to evaluate the NET effect there? Government is very ineffective at handing out money to create jobs. You have to set up a good competitive environment for many private businesses to flourish if you want real long lasting jobs.
I dunno. My question was much more limited than this... I was just asking...

Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
I'm curious about the Atlantic Stations jobs. At least the large law firms there moved from other buildings that were already in the city. So, in those cases, there was no increase in net jobs - low paying, high paying or otherwise. Does anyone know the NET effect that development had on jobs in the city? I'm sure it is positive, but I wonder just how material.
I do think that Atlantic Station has brought jobs to the area. The fact there that are so many retailers there alone is proof of this. They weren't there before, but I admit, I'm not sure if some of them closed up shops in other places in Atlanta to move there so more research would be needed on that.

But from a real estate perspective, I am sure it was a net gain for the city of Atlanta in regards to a tax base. There are many businesses in Atlantic Station that now pay occupational taxes and provide the city revenue based on sales. There is also a hotel there, so more hotel/motel tax victims to take advantage of (IMO, they should have had 2-3 hotels in Atlantic Station).

Then you have the single family/multi family homes, condos and market rate apartment complexes. They may have suffered some due to the housing downturn but when run well they make money and create jobs due to staff being needed to manage, lease, and maintain the facilities. It would also give local contractors more business, especially in maintenance and landscaping contracting needs for the areas. I always notice the great landscaping in Atlantic Station lol. I think in terms of "I wonder how much they paid for a flat of those beautiful annuals." They had some great ones this past spring all over Atlanta BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The bold is not true in that government has outsourced a lot of jobs to American companies and so in effect has created a lot more private sector jobs than people give credit for. A large percent of the new apartment complexes going up all over metro Atlanta have some type of government money involved, usually via tax credits that provide an incentive on a private developing/real estate company to build new structures, all of which will need management, maintenance, and leasing so will create jobs or expand local businesses profits via new contracting opportunities.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Atlanta is still a Major League City, the same way the CDC is headquartered in Atlanta--most folks will not know or care that it is not within the city limits. And, while I like the *idea* of the Braves being downtown, the Braves and the City never were able to integrate the ball field with downtown, or the surrounding neighborhoods. Now it's Cobb's turn to try to make it work--I hope they do. I think that the stadium parking lots and the section8 housing on Boulevard have been two of the great impediments to the spread of wealth and amenities into the surrounding neighborhoods. I think that the Mayor will line up something that is more conducive to making the City more livable than stadium parking lots and the ups and downs of game day.

Last edited by jeoff; 11-15-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 11:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Atlanta is still a Major League City, the same way the CDC is headquartered in Atlanta--most folks will not know or care that it is not within the city limits. And, while I like the *idea* of the Braves being downtown, the Braves and the City never were able to integrate the ball field with downtown, or the surrounding neighborhoods. Now it's Cobb's turn to try to make it work--I hope they do. I think that the stadium parking lots and the section8 housing on Boulevard have been two of the great impediments to the spread of wealth and amenities into the surrounding neighborhoods. I think that the Mayor will line up something that is more conducive to making the City more livable than stadium parking lots and the ups and downs of game day.
You do realize that "section 8 houses" are spread all over the metro area right???

There are Section 8 places in Alpharetta and Brookhaven and even Midtown and Buckhead.

The only thing that impeded the development around Turner Field were the economic downturn and the lack of willingness by the city and the city's development authority to actively turn around the area. If they had actively done so and done it the "right way" based off of development standards, it would have been done.

I hope Cobb (i.e. the Braves in Cobb County since they will be over seeing this development) does benefit. I used to live in the area and Cobb is probably my favorite suburban county due to that so I am hoping for the best for them.

But I am worried about SE Atlanta and the absence this will cause. It will be a huge hole and it is uncertain whether the city and the development authority will do what they say they will do and start to do it right now so that when 2017 comes, they will already have everything in place to begin the transformation in the area.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
The only thing that impeded the development around Turner Field were the economic downturn and the lack of willingness by the city and the city's development authority to actively turn around the area. If they had actively done so and done it the "right way" based off of development standards, it would have been done.
The land is owned by Fulton County, so the city cannot force county owned land into development. All Atlanta can do is provide infrastructure and zone the property.
Quote:
I hope Cobb (i.e. the Braves in Cobb County since they will be over seeing this development) does benefit
Oh no, the Braves will be overseeing the development. That's what they demanded from Atlanta.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You do realize that "section 8 houses" are spread all over the metro area right???

There are Section 8 places in Alpharetta and Brookhaven and even Midtown and Buckhead.

I hope Cobb (i.e. the Braves in Cobb County since they will be over seeing this development) does benefit. I used to live in the area and Cobb is probably my favorite suburban county due to that so I am hoping for the best for them.

But I am worried about SE Atlanta and the absence this will cause. It will be a huge hole and it is uncertain whether the city and the development authority will do what they say they will do and start to do it right now so that when 2017 comes, they will already have everything in place to begin the transformation in the area.
Yes, I know that there is Section8 spread all over town, but those places don't get an entire year dedicated to them by the city council--there is a reason for that. They are a high concentration of poverty in close proximity to other areas in the middle of the city that are trying to develop. When folks in "up-and-coming" areas complain, "why can't we get (Publix, Whole Foods, or whatever) here." It is often because of proximity to high concentrations of poverty. And it does help when section8 is "spread out", it allows for the greater possibility of the integration of the tenants into the community.
As far as "the only thing that impeded the development...", impeded it for almost 50 years, so that "only thing" was kind of a big thing, don't you think?

Old 11-16-2013, 01:43 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Well, considering that it replaced a derelict steel mill, I would say fairly material. I suppose a couple of security personnel lost their jobs in the process.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:40 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Well, considering that it replaced a derelict steel mill, I would say fairly material. I suppose a couple of security personnel lost their jobs in the process.
You cannot conclude its material based on that fact alone.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:47 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
You cannot conclude its material based on that fact alone.
I can conclude that its impact on this community was a positive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta