Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:09 AM

222 posts, read 243,157 times

Advertisements

Everyone is forgetting that they aren't just building a new Stadium but a mixed-use development as well. If i were a cobb county resident i'd be asking the more important question about the approx. $300 million, How much of this is funding the mixed-use portion of the development vs. the stadium and does the county have tenants already chosen to occupy said retail/restaurant space?

I'm all for retail/mixed use development when it is done productively and efficiently. However, if you drive anywhere ITP or OTP there a tons of unoccupied retail spaces in many of the developments that have been built in the past 8 years.

Even in Inman Park which is currently seeing an influx of capital and new development there are spaces that were built years ago that are still unoccupied. I for one don't see the demand, but what do i know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
The county isn't that tight & efficient if they have a secret 8.6M/yr slush fund they magically found after they cut services & school funding rather than burden their residents w/ higher taxes. That's almost 3% of their annual budget which isn't exactly chump change.

You're also assuming the County has any control over this. While the Braves may have responsibility on the stadium (and potentially the bidding process there), I'm sure there's additional details in terms of the infrastructure improvements and other items.
The 2014 Cobb Budget is $815.22 million so $8.6 million is much closer to 1% then the 3% you mentioned unless you aren't talking about the total budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I will be interested to read the actual contracts if anyone can find them. It says the Braves are paying minimum $230m but "up to" $280m. However, are responsible for cost over runs. So what happens if they go over the initial budget more than $50m?
It says initial contribution up to $280 million but it also specifically says the Braves will be responsible for any cost overruns. Maybe that would be added to the bonds but the Braves have to pay for it either up front or over time. The other side is maybe if there are cost overruns they Braves would choose to cut out stadium options to keep the cost down to that $672 million number.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,374 times
^My mistake, I was reading the property tax revenue line which is where that cash is coming from.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
How much we pay is an issue because it should be $0.

However, it's irrelevant because even if it cost us zero in construction cost, it will still not be acceptable to build a ball park in that location, given the already congested traffic, the fact that no plan can solve for the 40,000 fans who will basically all be traveling by car and the immeasurable mess that it will be us locals who shop and dine in the area as a normal week night will be hell.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:07 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,464 times
I'm very interested to see how the good constituents of Cobb are going to publicly react to this. Cobb tends to be a very fiscally conservative area. There is a lot to be wary of with the deal.

Go ask a Gwinnettian about being burned on a baseball stadium.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I'm very interested to see how the good constituents of Cobb are going to publicly react to this. Cobb tends to be a very fiscally conservative area. There is a lot to be wary of with the deal.

This. Someone on the Cobb County Commission is getting paid.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:36 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,374 times
^They really should just post up articles about how badly Gwinnett got screwed over by Liberty. I mean it's the same exact company, making super optimistic projections about revenues and glorious projections about mixed use developments nearby. If the contract doesn't protect Cobb in case of every one of the downsides they're seeing, we ought to get the GBI/FBI to check in on how many offshore accts those Cobb Commissioners are hiding.

Taxpayers on the Hook for Gwinnett, Ga. Baseball Stadium - Reason.com

Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
It would be cool if they built an urban village around this stadium. 10-15 block area of mixed used buildings that can be used on gameday and for every day uses.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 PM

125 posts, read 232,996 times
Quote:

The silence is deafening.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:20 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,770 times
Quote:

There is a poll on the MDJ site currently sitting at 52% for, 39% against, and 9% undecided. It is obviously unscientific but seems like a pretty good gauge to me. Most of my friends around Cobb seem to be for it overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: