Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:52 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,898 times

Advertisements

Yes, there are a lot of fancy boutiques and high end restaurants at White Provisions. But there is also Yeah Burger, Taqueria del Sol, Figo and nearby Chow Baby, La Fonda etc so there are many choices in the lower price range as well.

To make a project like PCM work there will have to be the higher priced places but look at a place like Pike Place market in Seattle, a national food hall often mentioned as a comparison, there is plenty of high quality farmer direct food that is reasonable but not the cheapest and other shops that are reasonable and some higher end stuff. To expect lower prices than where you shop now is probably not reasonable, to expect more local and fresher products as hopefully decent prices is what we can hope for. If nothing else many at all income levels will love it for the experience to have a meal, a bakery item and coffee, a drink and to do a little browsing. Most people that go to Pike Place in Seattle don't go their as their regular shopping place but still love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
y'all are really getting hung up on the semantics. really. i've never seen so many butthurt people in all of my life. gosh, find something better to get worked up about. my point is that white provisions is for the elite and nobody else. is ponce city market going to be the same (a pseudo-market cleaned up for the elite), or is it going to be a *real* marketplace where you have many different sellers, lots of local goods, and lower prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 04:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,898 times
Well there is a family dollar not more than 4-5 blocks away on North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
A dollar store? lol

Old 11-24-2013, 05:22 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,310,595 times
Lol @ all this butthurt. Do White people honestly feel so marginalized and oppressed that they have whine about a post like this (particularly since 'white' = wealthy to the OP).

OP shouldn't assume all black people are poor though.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:34 PM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Lol @ all this butthurt. Do White people honestly feel so marginalized and oppressed that they have whine about a post like this (particularly since 'white' = wealthy to the OP).

Oh, so we're the only ones whining.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:16 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,310,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, so we're the only ones whining.
I have enough empathy as a white person to not refer to minorities as "whining" when they feel they are being marginalized or experiencing unfair treatment.

Not sure what you were trying to imply.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,527 times
Quote:

Do white paternalistic people feel so superior that they have to start a thread like this? I am really just wondering.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:45 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,783,289 times
Quote:
I have enough empathy as a white person to not refer to minorities as "whining" when they feel they are being marginalized or experiencing unfair treatment.

so in short...

telling white people they are whining... ok

telling white people their cultural taste are bad and need to go away... ok

mentioning that white people aren't the only people whining.... not ok

treating the arguments at hand maturely and addressing the subject... not ok

Immediately starting with phrases like whining and butthurt... ok

holy cow... As a white person... grow a backbone!!!

There is a difference between sticking up for minorities that have been historically (and currently) marginalized and thinking it is ok to give up your cultural values in return. I mean we are essentially having a conservation about the types of retail/restaurants we want our city to have. The starting argument was basically that the development was bad just because it was white and high priced. I'm all for the city having multicultural areas, a large diversity, and preventing groups from being marginalized....but none of that makes a place that is "white" a bad thing in itself.

We're not whining as much as we are taking the argument seriously. I've also noticed you're relatively new here, which is obvious from your small posting history. We tend to take arguments more seriously from people we are use hearing from and discussing various topics with. Bryant has now been a frequent poster here for a couple of years, regardless of how many times we've each had agreements and disagreements, we will respect his arguments by taking them seriously.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:

What I was implying is that this thread is going nowhere with this 'not enough white people there, too many here' nonsense. Spare me this self-righteousness that masquerades as 'empathy' among the politically correct crowd.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,881,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Do white paternalistic people feel so superior that they have to start a thread like this? I am really just wondering.
okay, so at first i'm a racist, and then you find out i'm white and say i'm a paternalist? whatever, bro.

i don't feel comfortable in an all-white crowd, and i definitely don't feel comfortable in a place that only appeals to the very rich. i don't think that makes me a racist or a paternalist.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
okay, so at first i'm a racist, and then you find out i'm white and say i'm a paternalist? whatever, bro.

i don't feel comfortable in an all-white crowd, and i definitely don't feel comfortable in a place that only appeals to the very rich. i don't think that makes me a racist or a paternalist.
If you arent comfortable there, then dont go. How simple is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta