Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Cobb leadership seems like they have their own MSA outside of Atlanta MSA. ... Cobb is not playing their position as Atlantas inferior little brother, which in my opinion they are.
Thanks for posting that. It neatly sums up everything that's wrong with the Atlanta side of this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Dekalb plays their position & falls in step.
You might be a bit rusty on the geography of the area. Part of Atlanta is in DeKalb. It would be pretty odd for a county to act against the interest of one of its own cities.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Cobb was very rural when MARTA came up for a vote. It had a population of around 500 people per square mile -- hardly sufficient to warrant a heavy rail system.

Bear in mind that this also an era when cities were seeing a huge population exodus. The freeways were coming into their dominant age and suburban counties were built for the automobile.

What would have been the argument for Cobb to join MARTA?
It not like a rail line was going to get built in the 1960's, but MARTA could have bought the ROW and ran buses until the county grew enough to warrant HRT, 20 years? It would have been forward thinking, much like the Red Line to Perimeter is credited with it growth as an edge city. Cumberland is lagging behind other business districts that have rail connection.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Cumberland is lagging behind other business districts that have rail connection.
Yet in a few years they'll be the only one outside the core that has a performing arts center and a major sports venue

I'd like to see MARTA up there as much as anyone, but let's not pretend the area is struggling without it (especially not in a thread about a MLB franchise leaving Atlanta to move there). They're home to multiple Fotune 500 companies and have a lot of development in the pipeline.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Yet in a few years they'll be the only one outside the core that has a performing arts center and a major sports venue

I'd like to see MARTA up there as much as anyone, but let's not pretend the area is struggling without it (especially not in a thread about a MLB franchise leaving Atlanta to move there). They're home to multiple Fotune 500 companies and have a lot of development in the pipeline.
All those new additions will attract more people and then how will Cobb deal with the congestion? More travel lanes? That has been proven not to work.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
All those new additions will attract more people and then how will Cobb deal with the congestion?
Trust me, their survival doesn't depend on it. Cities have traffic man. People might complain about it like they do about crime and noise, but it doesn't stop many from living in them. Have you ever driven through Lenox during rush hour or been on the connector when there's an event downtown? There are times when driving on Peachtree in Midtown is slower than walking. Look at how much Perimeter is growing despite its congestion, and West Midtown despite not having rail. Traffic is terrible in all of those areas, but people are still flocking to them.

You might point out Cobb isn't as walkable as any of those other areas, and you'd be right... however there's only one way to fix that: Build stuff. Rail certainly isn't a realistic solution at this point given how spread out everything is... once you got off the train, where would you go?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Trust me, their survival doesn't depend on it. Cities have traffic man. People might complain about it like they do about crime and noise, but it doesn't stop many from living in them. Have you ever driven through Lenox during rush hour or been on the connector when there's an event downtown? There are times when driving on Peachtree in Midtown is slower than walking. Look at how much Perimeter is growing despite its congestion, and West Midtown despite not having rail. Traffic is terrible in all of those areas, but people are still flocking to them.

You might point out Cobb isn't as walkable as any of those other areas, and you'd be right... however there's only one way to fix that: Build stuff. Rail certainly isn't a realistic solution at this point given how spread out everything is... once you got off the train, where would you go?
Drive in Atlanta? Ha, your funny. That's what MARTA is for. I always take MARTA to Lenox, Midtown, Downtown, Decatur, etc.
Get off the train and hope on a bus to get close to your destination or if its close enough and the person is in good enough health they can ride a bike or walk.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
I'm only going to say this once to a couple of people in here, and you know who you are.

Stop the bickering, the jabs, and the insults.

Discuss the TOPIC and only the topic, or the thread will close and vacation tickets will be issued for trolling - it's getting out of hand.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Would you anti-Cobb Braves folks rather the Braves move to Cobb, or uproot and move to another city...New Orleans, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City? What would be worst in your opinion?
They are equal in my mind.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:14 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
They are equal in my mind.
Waronxmas, so you feel that the Braves building a stadium less than 5 miles outside the city limit is equal to Liberty Media picking up and moving the team to N.O., a Jacksonville, etc?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
All those new additions will attract more people and then how will Cobb deal with the congestion? More travel lanes? That has been proven not to work.
Quote:

These are all excellent points that the new development in the Cumberland/Galleria area is going to generate even more traffic on top of the current traffic problem, that Cumberland/Galleria's survival does not appear to depend on a MARTA heavy rail connection, that traffic does not necessarily stop people from living in major cities, and that one of the major ways to make areas more walkable is to build high-density developments.

Because of the existing severe peak-hour traffic congestion on I-75 outside of the I-285 Perimeter (I-75 OTP carries just under 279,000 vehicles/daily built only to carry about 225,000 vehicles/daily; and US 41 Cobb Parkway carries over 42,000 vehicles/daily on a roadway built to carry only about 20,000 vehicles/daily...the 279,000 vehicles that I-75 NW OTP carries each day is over 105,000 vehicles more than the nearly 174,000 vehicles carried on the GA 400 North OTP corridor which is already partially-served by MARTA heavy rail transit), and because of the Cobb County's intense desire for the Cumberland/Galleria to not just survive, but be an even more very-dominant player in the Atlanta market on the scale of a Midtown and/or Buckhead, Cobb County has repeatedly expressed a very-intense desire to implement a high-capacity passenger rail transit link between the Kennesaw/Acworth area and the world-leading Atlanta Airport by way of the Cumberland/Galleria area where Cobb County and the Cumberland/Galleria CID have floated the idea of implementing a circulator tram and bus service throughout the Cumberland/Galleria area as a way of establishing 'last-mile transit service' in the form of local ciruclating tram and bus service between a future regional high-capacity passenger rail line and various locations in the Cumberland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta