Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Nobody characterized Cobb that way. The group of white stadium supportes were characterized that way. Big difference. There's also a big difference between a government meeting and a concert. One, in theory at least, has an obligation to act according to the needs and desires of the general population. The other has no such obligation. I trust you can figure out which one is which.

Tommorrow world is widely known as an event that pulls in visitors from all over the world. You really need to try harder.

The Shirley Temple/KKK quote comes from a funny review I recently read of the new Coldplay album.
I see.

I guess the photos speak for themselves.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I see.

I guess the photos speak for themselves.
I'm not sure which photo's you're referring to, but the only photos that are relevant to this discussion are the ones from the county meeting, most of which show a demographically unrepresentative sampling of county residents, all in favor of the stadium.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I don't get the complete two faced argument here. Where are the people moving out of Atlanta because of the sweetheart deal that the CoA gave Arthur Blank and the Falcons?
The city of Atlanta and Cobb County are two completely different things.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:31 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Forget the photos/skin color, what about the people that were able to line up before 2pm to make comments? Per the Marietta Journal, they were people such as a lawyer and an art museum director! I would love love love to see the professions for the other 10 people.

Got $20 on it that the majority of them do not have regular 9-5 jobs...

Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
The city of Atlanta and Cobb County are two completely different things.
That's true, and the Falcons and Braves deals are very different. There's a world of difference between hotel taxes and property taxes, and what those things should be used for.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:52 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Then why did they move to a county that bought the mall across the street to build a convention center and concert hall with public monies? Why did that not cause outrage or at least suspicion before they chose to become a Cobb Countian, a county with a council that previously has entered into public/private sector deals and thrown great wads of cash at them? Or are they being selective in the things they want to cry big government and taxes and unfair representation because it falls inline with the ITPers whining about the Braves leaving the city, a city that has made deals with "corporate welfare" just as much if not more?

I don't get the complete two faced argument here. Where are the people moving out of Atlanta because of the sweetheart deal that the CoA gave Arthur Blank and the Falcons?
I think Cobb's appeal has been as a low-tax, quiet, suburb to raise your kids. If they are going to have to deal with big government, might as well get the benefits that come with city life with it.

Also, it is about the direction each area is going. CoA has historically been a bloated government that funded 100% of AFCS and the GA Dome. Cobb has historically been very small government. They have now swapped. CoA is only funding ~17% (~$200M) and Cobb is funding ~55% (~$400M) of each of their new stadiums.

When CoA was bloated and was at the height of foolishly spending tax dollars during the 60s - 90s people were moving out by the thousands. Cobb seems to have failed to learn from Atlanta's mistakes and is heading down that path.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:02 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think Cobb's appeal has been as a low-tax, quiet, suburb to raise your kids. If they are going to have to deal with big government, might as well get the benefits that come with city life with it.

Also, it is about the direction each area is going. CoA has historically been a bloated government that funded 100% of AFCS and the GA Dome. Cobb has historically been very small government. They have now swapped. CoA is only funding ~17% (~$200M) and Cobb is funding ~55% (~$400M) of each of their new stadiums.

When CoA was bloated and was at the height of foolishly spending tax dollars during the 60s - 90s people were moving out by the thousands. Cobb seems to have failed to learn from Atlanta's mistakes and is heading down that path.
The Dome was funded 100% by Georgia residents, not just CoA residents. It is owned by GWCC which is a state-run body. Also, the new stadium is being funded by a already dedicated hotel/motel taxes, that can only be used on stadium/arena upgrades in the GWCC. The city is issuing bonds, that will be backed by the tax.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Because in the case of the City of Atlanta and Falcons, "the city" didn't have a taxpayer give away. Public funding end of the the new stadium is being built using Hotel Tax that was originally setup by the State to build the Georgia Dome. The only part the City (in the form of the Mayor) had in this was getting the City Council and the neighborhood to agree to the new stadium.

Overall, this is nothing like the Braves situation. The Falcons have been out in the open for years that they wanted to do this, and though it was rammed through, they didn't have critics arrested at planning meetings when they were vocal.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Forget the photos/skin color, what about the people that were able to line up before 2pm to make comments? Per the Marietta Journal, they were people such as a lawyer and an art museum director! I would love love love to see the professions for the other 10 people.

Got $20 on it that the majority of them do not have regular 9-5 jobs...
Braves opponents have made lengthy public comments at numerous commission meetings. The Cobb commission meets in regular session twice a month on the second Tuesday (9 a.m.) and the fourth Tuesday (7 p.m.), and has two public comment sessions at each meeting.

Last edited by arjay57; 05-29-2014 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 01:17 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Braves opponents have made lengthy public comments at numerous commission meetings. The Cobb commission meets in regular session twice a month on the second Tuesday (9 a.m.) and the fourth Tuesday (7 p.m.), and has two public comment sessions at each meeting.
You know you could have just quoted your previous statement, no need to write this nonsense all over again. We get it Cobb outbid the COA, while Cobb new they were in a bidding war, the COA did not. Don't try to make it seem anything other than what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta