Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Some of these folks just dont have someone who will hooked them up after college like white kids.
Interesting....

I guess I missed that meeting post college. I spent a couple years delivering pizza post graduation then had to take a miserable job in Houston that made me hate life more than ever. Maybe my white folks super secret society isn't as strong as others.

As a white person, I feel cheated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:42 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
What I don't like is the arrogant notion that only people who went to college should earn a decent wage. Should someone working fast food earn $100k a year? No one is saying that. The same people who don't want to see fast food workers get a wage increase are the same ones who are against people getting food stamps.
Riiight its like they want to keep certain people in THEIR place.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:44 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
interesting....

I guess i missed that meeting post college. I spent a couple years delivering pizza post graduation then had to take a miserable job in houston that made me hate life more than ever. Maybe my white folks super secret society isn't as strong as others.

As a white person, i feel cheated.
LOL you sound like a waste of white skin man. Im sure you are doing just great now though. Your post made me chuckle. Good post man.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
LOL you sound like a waste of white skin man. Im sure you are doing just great now though. Your post made me chuckle. Good post man.
Waste of a white skin man huh, Ill take that as a good hearted jab. But seriously, if you think you have some significant privilege in the job market just by being white, you are sorely mistaken.

Doing alright now, but really not much better than what these folks flipping burgers want though!
$15 an hour is $31,200 a year full time!!!!! Shoot, if they pass this, I may as well quit and enjoy the benefits of working at Krystals! Get fat and die off chili cheese fries and corn pups. Sounds like a good life to me!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
They are fools. If you want a higher paying job go to college
Pretty much. Minimum wage is a springboard, and was never meant to be a living wage.
Glad to see that common sense is prevailing on this thread.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
This B.S. about "sharing the wealth equally" is straight out of Obama's mouth into the ears of those that want to play the entitlement card. Don't think they are smart enough to figure this out on their own. Nope, they need someone to lead them to the Kool-Aid.

See today's NY Times on Obama's "agenda" for the rest of his term.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:41 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
These people don't understand basic economics so they will never understand the after-effects of raising their minimum wage. Raising minimum wage will simply increase cost of living. It will always go back to an equilibrium. So that 15 dollars an hour minimum wage will be met with a much higher cost of living also since companies will have to pay their employees nearly twice the amount. This means that in return, they will increase the cost of their products and service by as much as it cost them to pay their workers since they are trying to get the amount of money in profits.

Plus as someone said before, doing this will ensure that highschoolers and college student will never be able to successful enter the workforce and it's vital that they have the work experience at a young age so that they can gain a work ethic since they will be the people working the jobs in the next generation.

You get paid based off of the supply and demand of the field and how much of your brain is being used. There's a reason all of the jobs that pay the most are the ones that require you to use brain power and the mind. Physical jobs will never pay as much as mental jobs. Flipping burgers and making fries doesn't require much brain power thus the supply of workers in that field is almost infinite whereas a computer programmer requires you to know high level math and logic thus the supply is much much lower and pay will be higher.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
These people don't understand basic economics so they will never understand the after-effects of raising their minimum wage. Raising minimum wage will simply increase cost of living. It will always go back to an equilibrium. So that 15 dollars an hour minimum wage will be met with a much higher cost of living also since companies will have to pay their employees nearly twice the amount. This means that in return, they will increase the cost of their products and service by as much as it cost them to pay their workers since they are trying to get the amount of money in profits.

Plus as someone said before, doing this will ensure that highschoolers and college student will never be able to successful enter the workforce and it's vital that they have the work experience at a young age so that they can gain a work ethic since they will be the people working the jobs in the next generation.

You get paid based off of the supply and demand of the field and how much of your brain is being used. There's a reason all of the jobs that pay the most are the ones that require you to use brain power and the mind. Physical jobs will never pay as much as mental jobs. Flipping burgers and making fries doesn't require much brain power thus the supply of workers in that field is almost infinite whereas a computer programmer requires you to know high level math and logic thus the supply is much much lower and pay will be higher.
Plus if you raise min wage it will cause more of those people to be unemployed. Many Fast Food restaurants will close because less people will pay the higher prices. They will find ways to replace the people with automation or move more parts of the process to an area with cheaper labor.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
With globalization, and new efficiencies, a lot of skilled workers and folks with professional degrees are finding themselves as disposable as the uneducated folks working at fast food joints. Someone can read an x-ray, or design a home in India or China as well (or "well enough") as it can be done here for a lot less money. Raising the minimum wage is probably a short-term fix, at best, but it is foolish arrogance to think that a decent brain and hard work is any sort of garunteee of financial success in the world we live in.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Wow, if I knew that Church's managers made enough to live in big houses and drive around in Lexuses, i would have gone into fast food a long time ago!!!

Who are these people talking about? A store manager at a Church's doesn't possibly make enough money to buy a Lexus and a nice house. Probably not even a regional manager...MAYBE the guy who actually took a risk and invested his OWN MONEY into the franchise would make enough to do that. But that's life, right? No risk, no reward. The owner invested his own money and risked losing it all, so if he succeeds and buys a Lexus, good for him!

Do they really think that $15 an hour is going to be enough to buy a Lexus and a nice house? I seem to recall still being pretty damn far away from those things when I passed the $15/hour mark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta