Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 PM

10 posts, read 24,158 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm currently at student about to graduate in June of 2008. I work full time and currently reside in Hollywood, FL. For the past year, I've been trying to decide where to move to. Main reason, I'm thinking Georgia, is the weather. It's cold, but I won't be in a below zero freezing like I would be lets say Chicago.

Another reason for wanting to move to Georgia is that I'll be able to afford a home unlike if I stayed in Hollywood and frankly I'm dying to get out of here.

I was wondering, what advise would you give? What things should I take into consideration when deciding whether to live in Alpharetta, Duluth or Norcross. I've never been to Atlanta, is a trip I'm planning to make in March, but I would like some things narrowed down before I go.

My main concern is being able to find a job, are there a lot of opening for web designer/developers? What would be the best areas to look for homes? Also, where could I see pictures of each place?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:41 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,493 times
Don't buy a home before you get a job. The best thing to do is to rent for a year and then buy a place once you analyze traffic patterns, desirability, personal preferences, etc.

If you want pictures of homes, just google 'atlanta real estate' and you'll see plenty of sites.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:47 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Your college or university should have a career center. That would be one way to start looking for employment--there are hiring fairs and events to give applicants and employers the opportunity to meet.

I think your idea of touring the area is excellent. Take a good hard look at the traffic patterns.

'Alpharetta, Duluth, Norcross' are part of the suburban sprawl of metro Atlanta. Each municipality has website--not certain if you would find the FYI you seek online.

Homes in Alpharetta would be more expensive.

Areas such as Suwanee, Gainesville and Buford might be worth considering.

Or you might decide to live closer intown. )

Give some careful thought to how you want to live.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:10 PM

10 posts, read 24,158 times
What would be good areas intown? The reason I'm looking at the northeast side of atlanta, was because a realtor recommended that section, having less crime, better school and transportation system.

I am a single female, so I'm not worried about schools, but I am concern about safety..

Thanks for the advise.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:35 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudicia View Post
What would be good areas intown? The reason I'm looking at the northeast side of atlanta, was because a realtor recommended that section, having less crime, better school and transportation system.

I am a single female, so I'm not worried about schools, but I am concern about safety..

Thanks for the advise.

My advice is come and see it for yourself.

Once you have a job you can make better permanent decisions.

The area around Emory University --and that covers a big area--is IMO, one of the better parts of Atlanta. You might like Decatur--others have FYI on specific neighborhoods.

Crime varies--and can happen almost anywhere it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta