Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 AM

27 posts, read 71,083 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

So after a rather lengthy and futile search for answers, I thought I would come on here and ask for help!

I'm a 24 year old lifelong New York City resident and I'm moving to Atlanta for work in the Spring (March/April). I have never been, nor do I know anything about the layout of the city in terms of proximity to my work, best places for young professionals, etc.

My job is located at 1230 Peachtree Street, N.E. in zip code 30309 in Atlanta. I need to find a place that is close to work, but in an area that is filled with things to do and other young professionals, etc. As a New Yorker, I have spent my life on subways, and public transportation, and would love to continue to be able to do so to work, however i do realize that the mass transit system is a little different in ATL. I don't mind traffic in the mornings (i don't want to commute more than 30-40 minutes back and forth from work though!) and I would prefer to live in a safe neighborhood, but is close to all conveniences, bars, clubs, restaurants, stores, etc. I have a budget of $800 which i do not want to go over in terms of budget, and wouldn't mind spending that much to live with roommates.

Can anyone give me some advice on where the best and most convenient places would be for me to look into for relocation? thanks again for all your help- i really appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,276,203 times
Your work address is in the heart of the Midtown neighborhood, which is also one of the most popular intown residential neighborhoods with shops, restaurants, a great park (Piedmont Park), nightlife, and the MARTA train runs right through the middle of it. $800 won't go very far in Midtown, but check CraigsList to see if anyone's looking for a roommate. You could also try the Georgia Tech area (called Home Park) which is immediately west of Midtown. Both are intown neighborhoods and have more crime than the suburbs, but if convenience and amenities is most important, then either of these would be very close to your job.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsixnyc View Post
Hello everyone!

So after a rather lengthy and futile search for answers, I thought I would come on here and ask for help!

I'm a 24 year old lifelong New York City resident and I'm moving to Atlanta for work in the Spring (March/April). I have never been, nor do I know anything about the layout of the city in terms of proximity to my work, best places for young professionals, etc.

My job is located at 1230 Peachtree Street, N.E. in zip code 30309 in Atlanta. I need to find a place that is close to work, but in an area that is filled with things to do and other young professionals, etc. As a New Yorker, I have spent my life on subways, and public transportation, and would love to continue to be able to do so to work, however i do realize that the mass transit system is a little different in ATL. I don't mind traffic in the mornings (i don't want to commute more than 30-40 minutes back and forth from work though!) and I would prefer to live in a safe neighborhood, but is close to all conveniences, bars, clubs, restaurants, stores, etc. I have a budget of $800 which i do not want to go over in terms of budget, and wouldn't mind spending that much to live with roommates.

Can anyone give me some advice on where the best and most convenient places would be for me to look into for relocation? thanks again for all your help- i really appreciate it!

The Mayfair Tower, a high-rise condominium building on 14th Street, currently has a listing on Craigslist for just a little over $800 a month.

This condo building is in the heart of Midtown and it's a lovely area with an abundance of cultural amenities. There's lots of young people in your age group. In addition, Piedmont Park is a three-minute walk and that in itself is a huge plus. Piedmont Park is our Central Park.

Walking to work is a breeze.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:48 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,091,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
The Mayfair Tower, a high-rise condominium building on 14th Street, currently has a listing on Craigslist for just a little over $800 a month.

This condo building is in the heart of Midtown and it's a lovely area with an abundance of cultural amenities. There's lots of young people in your age group. In addition, Piedmont Park is a three-minute walk and that in itself is a huge plus. Piedmont Park is our Central Park.

Walking to work is a breeze.
That would be a great location! Here are some additional links for you:
www.piedmontpark.org
www.midtownalliance.org

Old 12-08-2008, 07:10 PM

thanks for all your help! so you would suggest that i look in the midtown atlanta area? would you say i would need a car to get around? or is pretty much everything i need in walking distance?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,519 times
Quote:
thanks for all your help! so you would suggest that i look in the midtown atlanta area? would you say i would need a car to get around? or is pretty much everything i need in walking distance?

Your choices are certainly not limited to only the Midtown area. However, I think Midtown would be a good fit for you.

The Mayfair Tower is just a short distance from your office. We're talking just a few short blocks.

Living near a grocery store is a plus but you could rely on friends for transporting your groceries. Under those circumstances, it would be best to bulk up when you do buy groceries. Unfortunately, the Mayfair Tower is not near a grocery store.

Zipcar would be an option for you. I'm not that well-versed with the company but it's my understanding you can possibly rent, and most definitely return, a car 24-hours a day. Also, car insurance with Zipcar is less problematic than with your common variety car rental companies.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,372,162 times
Zsixnyc - Welcome! Yeah, considering where your job is, you really should check out the Mayfair Towers and that immediate area. This part of town would probably be the best possible transition from NY for you also. This is our premiere urban neighborhood.

Groceries really aren't that far. Ansley Mall (Publix & Krogers) is just down the hill on Piedmont - maybe a mile away, and can be accessed by pretty frequent bus service steps from The Mayfair (#31). The Arts Center train station is about a 2-3 block walk, and from there you can hop the free shuttle to Atlantic Station with another Publix and lot's of other shopping (Target, H&M, IKEA, restaurants, movies, etc).

While this is certainly a car-centric place, if you wanted to go car-less you could not possibly pick a better neighborhood to do so. Again, welcome to Atlanta!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:17 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,344 times
Also look in the Lindbergh MARTA development which surrounds the station. Tongue and Groove (my favorite club) opened their new location there.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM

thanks everyone for replying! i'm still trying to understand how the MARTA system works and ideally i would like to live a "Car-free" life if possible. Can anyone give me an idea as to how far away from my job (1230 Peachtree St NE) I could live but still be on a MARTA line to take to work/to shopping/restaurants etc. Someone had mentioned the Mayfair and walking distance to everything sounds FANTASTIC! if anyone knows of any other centrally located condos/apartments walking distance to everything (restaurant, nightlife, etc) please let me know! Also, since I am a consultant, i will be travelling pretty frequently for work as well- how far is it from midtown to the airport and how would i get there sans car?

As i'm moving from New York, i know that this is going to be a huge change for me, but i look forward to the new environment, the warmer weather (hopefully?) and want to live in a neighborhood as similar AS POSSIBLE to make my transition seamless as possible.

I will be moving down there for work, and i don't know anyone (!!) so i am NERVOUS!

everyone here has been wonderful and helpful- thanks so much again!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Quote:
Also, since I am a consultant, i will be travelling pretty frequently for work as well- how far is it from midtown to the airport and how would i get there sans car?

As i'm moving from New York, i know that this is going to be a huge change for me,
Here is MARTA's web site where there will be a system map and more info: MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Note, the trains go directly into the airport, next to the baggage claim area, so if you live close to a rail station, you would be able to take the train directly into the airport.

Atlanta is not an easy city to live in "sans car". It's not New York, Chicago, or even DC or San Francisco regarding public transit. You may find over time that it's worth the expense to get an inexpensive compact car to use around the city, otherwise you'll be missing A LOT of what the city and metro area have to offer. Think of Atlanta more as the L.A. of the East as opposed to the New York of the South regarding the layout and how much it's spread out. You'll do ok initially without one until you get your feet wet, but consider it as you stay here or you'll be limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: