Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I think this is the true scenario.

A husband was not mentioned in the OP, in fact not until the latest reply by the OP. What is his opinion?

I believe we have a case of a husband that wants to move to Atlanta and a spouse that is against it. Said spouse (our OP) is making a case to sway the husband away from Atlanta and back to Colorado. "Everything I find on line is negative. I went to a forum and asked about these issues and everyone was horribly rude to me. Proof that we shouldn't go."

Or perhaps my imagination and online sleuthing skills need some tweaking. Or twerking.
It's not your imagination as it was obvious from the first post that the OP was looking to bolster her case of why she does not want to move to Atlanta as opposed to looking to build a case of why she should move to Atlanta.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-23-2014 at 09:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 11:00 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
so if someone has a different opinion from you, then he or she is overprotective?
No, it all depends on what they're saying. Read some posts on here and you would think that there is no traffic anymore because everyone's job moved to the suburbs so everyone's commute to the central city is a cakewalk. Other posts have made the south side between downtown and the airport seem like a crime-free paradise. Still others have quickly spat out what amounts to "we're not New York and don't need transit" in those respective topics. This last one might be slightly on the side of opinionated vs. factual, but there are many cases of people in this forum simply not liking the truth.
Quote:
not here to pick an internet fight, but we all know you hate Atlanta, so it's hard to evaluate your posts without a little bias.
I indicated that it is very hard to live anywhere in the area without a car and that most of the neighborhood bus routes are on large headways. What's to evaluate there? As a massive transit advocate, and someone who will be making living decisions in the near future, I've evaluated most of the "desirable" areas to live and lack of a car is virtually impossible, and the buses that do serve the areas and their services (grocery, doctor, bank, etc.) are on 25-30 minute headways. I am friends with someone who lives on one of those routes, doesn't have a car, and his 3 mile MARTA commute takes an hour, if the buses even bother showing up! To account for delays, he has to leave 2 hours early for the three mile commute even if he decides just to walk. That's the same time I give myself to go the 45 miles from Conyers to Marietta...off peak. As for traffic, I've traveled through every main corridor of this metro area during both rushes so I have first-hand experience with the traffic around here. Except when jsvh and I have a go at it over transit funding, I rarely post information that isn't backed by straight facts people can either look up, or confirm for themselves, and even in those arguments, I try to stick to verifiable information. Yes, I admit, I slip a pure-emotional post in every now and then, we all do it.

Last edited by MattCW; 01-21-2014 at 11:21 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
98% negative. Give me a break.
Not this stuff again. I was supposed to be in Atlanta this past weekend but I had to change my plans.

I can't get to Atlanta SOON ENOUGH. The best thing one can do, is visit Atlanta and experience the city as a local, as I did. I can't wait to move there. I'm doing my job search now!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 AM

Hey there.

Do you want to move to Atlanta? If so DO IT!

This is your life, DO YOU. To hell with what "the reviews" say. You're going to live your life based on what people say? Are you serious?!

I'm moving to Atlanta in the summer of 2014 and I could careless what others have said. Who cares? I like Atlanta and that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCackalackyDreamer View Post
Hello,

I have been researching Atlanta off and on for several years. I have been there several times visiting and was just there for about a week looking for rentals. I realized how bad the traffic really is and it felt unbearable. This was probably going to be my choice for my new home, but have many doubts now. So I have been reading alot of reviews and they are 98% negative. Which makes me very worried I would be making a huge mistake by moving there.

For example the reviews read like:

1. Don't move here you will regret it.
2. Atlanta is over rated.
3. The traffic is horrendous and hours will be spent in traffic commuting.
4. The crime is very bad, muggings, home invasions, robberies, rude people, etc.
5. No jobs! It is often hard for even nurses to find employment here.

I have a choice between moving to southern Colorado (where I lived for many years) or Atlanta. I have a few days to make my final decision. At this time I have no job prospects in either city, but I am torn between if I should go back to Colorado where the job prospects aren't that great or try my luck in Atlanta.

I was set on going to the East coast, but I am not so sure now. I am living in the mid-west currently about 7 hrs from Colorado and about 14 from Atlanta. My lease just ended and I am not going to renew it. I just don't know what direction I should go at this point. If you got this far, thanks for reading.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Not this stuff again. I was supposed to be in Atlanta this past weekend but I had to change my plans.

I can't get to Atlanta SOON ENOUGH. The best thing one can do, is visit Atlanta and experience the city as a local, as I did. I can't wait to move there. I'm doing my job search now!
I'm curious Rocco, you're coming from the Midwest (Ohio I think?) so when you tell people you're moving to Atlanta this year, what is their reaction? Give us an honest assessment: Is it generally positive, negative, indifferent?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 98% of the people in your life don't think it's a nutty idea and you're a fool for even considering it?

Last edited by Newsboy; 01-22-2014 at 02:30 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 04:27 AM

It's amazing how you can step away from something and get a clear picture. I've stopped posting on CD tremendously. I post every blue moon now, only on this forum, when I need some info related to my move. I never realized how sad a lot of the posters on this forum are. I thank god that I have been blessed with the life that I live and the high levels of optimism that I have about life.

It's a breath of fresh air to know I do not value the opinions of 99.9% of the people on this forum. There are about 5 posters on this forum that have offered me great advice as it relates to Atlanta, for that I am appreciative, and they know who they are.

When I need advice about, ATL, I'll just PM those that I trust.

to the OP,

Live your life on your own terms. I think you're making a foolish mistake by reading any such review about Atlanta. Atlanta is a great city. A special place if I might add.......ask yourself, what can you bring to Atlanta that is going to make your life and the lives of others better. That's what it's all about.

I wish you all the best!

See you around....

PS- If I don't respond to your question or PM, that means you're on my ignore list. :0)

Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
i myself am getting very homesick and almost ready to move back...but the reviews...not on the internet..but from my family members. They say its not the same and it is more crowded then before I left 2 1/2 years ago. I also have a great job offer but I am being advise to stay put. I miss it though, mostly family
Are you saying you dont like Atlanta anymore?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 AM

70 posts, read 161,880 times
Quote:
Hello,

For example the reviews read like:

1. Don't move here you will regret it.
2. Atlanta is over rated.
3. The traffic is horrendous and hours will be spent in traffic commuting.
4. The crime is very bad, muggings, home invasions, robberies, rude people, etc.
5. No jobs! It is often hard for even nurses to find employment here.
1. More space for the rest of us
2. Underrated if anything
3. Yes, traffic is very bad and there are not very many public transportation choices to choose from
4.Only if you choose to live in a bad area, really not that bad compared to other major cities
5. The job market here isn't any worse than in other large cities in the country

Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm curious Rocco, you're coming from the Midwest (Ohio I think?) so when you tell people you're moving to Atlanta this year, what is their reaction? Give us an honest assessment: Is it generally positive, negative, indifferent?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 98% of the people in your life don't think it's a nutty idea and you're a fool for even considering it?

Not Rocco, but from Ohio and most of the people who I speak to back home when I tell them where I live, they have a positive view of Atlanta. All except those who came here without a job and had a bad experience and subsequently moved back to Ohio lol! But that experience could be the same no matter what city they moved to. It is difficult to move somewhere without an income period. I personally think, due to Atlanta being a rather inexpensive city, that it would be a bit easier but regardless, the stash will eventually dry up if one doesn't find career prospects quick enough.

FWIW, I advise people I know who are moving here from Ohio not to come unless they have a job lined up, are coming for higher education, or have their own business or a great network of friends, family, or career associates already here that can help them out. But I would give them the same advice no matter where they were moving to. I get asked about Atlanta because I live here and have lived here a long time and they see me as "successful" in a way due to me making more money than them. No one I know in Ohio has a bad view of Atlanta, except my mom who says she would never live here but that is only because it is too messy and too hot and there are too many hills lol.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
I believe I will. Some really helpful people have posted, but 98% of the posters that have responded so far are negative. Thank you all for your input. It proves a point.
You're stuck on that 98% aren't you?

I would never go by what I read on this or any other online site. People are likely to say the world is flat on here. Your best bet is to judge for yourself and/or talk to residents in person. You will get a more accurate picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta