Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,646 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Georgia for my husbands job which would be in Canton (north). Could anyone recommend were to focus our house hunting trip? We have a 10 year old (entering 6th grade next year) with Asperger's syndrome so a welcoming school that is good helping kids who have mild special needs is of utmost importance. She doesn't need much academic help (she's in the gifted program too), but more a school that is caring and understanding. Interested in two private schools in Alpharetta catering to needs of kids with autism, but not sure how far communte to Alpharetta would be. Would prefer not to go private school route if we could find a good public school. We also have a child entering kindergarden next year.

Would also like to be in an area close to shopping, recreation, etc...Have heard that Cumming/Forsyth schools are very good. But a internet search shows Cherokee County schools are also highly rated, but I don't see many people here suggesting living in Canton. Hoping not to spend more than $300,000 on a home.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Forsyth Cty Schools have a very good "Special" ed dept. If she is mostly mainstream'ed in 5th grade, her IEP can smooth her way thru middle school.

The Forsyth Middle schools keep 6/7/8 grader more or less separated in separate halls, and work in using the "Pod System" 100 or so Students travel between 4 core teachers, with about some moving off to "specials" (PE Music Art Computers) each period (Roughly 1/3 of each "extra" class will be made of from each pod) . If a student need More (AP) or Help (remedial) or Special Ed (Extraordinary) when they may move then may move between pods group to be at the correct level of support they need. (About 10-15% of the students fall in this group)

==> http://www.forsyth.k12.ga.us/Page/672 You might want to reach out to the SpEd Autism Cord.

Last edited by flyonpa; 03-07-2014 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 AM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
I would check out the zone for Dodgen Middle School in East Cobb. I suspect several of my daughter's classmates are 2e, gifted and on the spectrum, and they seem to be well accomodated. The administration and staff seems nurturing. I think you could find a house in the Dogden/Pope high school zone for around 300. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
If you go private, there are a wealth of good private special needs schools in Alpharetta and Roswell. It would probably be a pretty reasonable reverse commute from Alpharetta. I've been told its pretty bad just getting from Canton to Hwy 400 inbound in the morning, but I don't have personal experience. Ask around, there are a lot of people who make that commute.

One thought would be to look in the Alpharetta/Roswell area for a promising public school so you would be close to the private schools if it didn't work out. Those areas are all part of the Fulton County School District.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,646 times
Thanks much for the advice. I will check all of your suggestions. We are going to be in the area next week and I'm going to go visit and talk to schools.

So it sounds like the worst traffic would be getting from Canton to Alpharetta during rush hour? Would this be the people in northern suburbs getting towards the city for work? Most people going south rather than north?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Most of the Interstante traffic is going South, but there is some traffic going north, but not bad

GA 20 has a lot of traffic going east/west to get to the Hi-ways. and E/W commutes.

GA 20 is being widen'ed => //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ons-could.html

Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 PM

125 posts, read 232,959 times
You'll want to contact a local organization for parents of children with Asperger's. And look into schools in Kennesaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta