Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:48 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I can't speak for the granola crowd out in Decatur.

Here in the ATL we generally welcome good businesses, as long as they meet zoning codes, sound principles of urban design and don't bring crime or pollution.
+1

the main concerns about wal-mart i have heard are the way they are built, not the wal-mart name in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
This is crazy. I just drove to Walmart on Howell Mill rd and it wasn't open. I was shocked. In Tampa, all of the Walmarts are open 24-7. So I google where the closest 24 hours store is and it is all the way out in Marietta. With nothing to do, I jumped in the car and drove there. I reached the Walmart only to find out that the internet lied to me and this store closed hours ago.

Now, I am back home and looking at my desktop. The only 24 hour walmarts around are outside the perimeter for goodness sake. I'm not about to drive that far only to find out that the store lied to me yet again and it is closed.

Where is a 24 hour Walmart for gods sake!?
WalMart hasn't been like that for some time. I'm in Virginia and most of the WalMart's have posted hours, at least in this region. The one in my neighborhood closes at Midnight.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 19,076 times
I live in Midtown, and would sure like a Walmart open through the night, but I understand their corporate policy about hours of operation in riskier areas.

It's not only shift-workers who are awake at night - some of us stay up late just because it's fun.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:48 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
If they build one at Glenwood will it be open 24 hours? Or does anyone know yet?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
I'm nightshifter,i was suggesting Walgreen and CVS because sometimes they can be closer than Walmart.
Walmart has fewer stores in cities than Walgreen and CVS (combined)
Most Walmart stores that are open 24/hrs are outside the city of Atlanta and quite far from each other.
The people of Atlanta refuse Walmart in their backward, the one that are allowed,are not permitted to stay open 24hrs (Howell Mill Rd).
We can only blame ourselves,not Walmart.
In Decatur,people are fighting walmart,everywhere in Atlanta metro people are against Walmart yet when they need medication or household products,they complaint nothing is open at night.

Just wanted to say, I live on the Westside and we had a Wal-Mart open on MLK last year and we were very excited and welcomed them. The Wal-Mart is in Vine City and near the AUC and that area was very much underdeveloped.

Wal-Mart gets a bad rap in other more crunchy areas, but where I live we love them. They are the only retailer who were willing to open here and Wal-Mart has a history of serving under developed areas, including both small towns and inner city neighborhoods.

I also own some of their stock. They make me a lot of money!! I am always happy to see them expand. Many complain about the lack of "Made in the USA" stuff, but really, they have quite a bit of items made here in the US. I am a big supporter of USA made items and I will pay extra to buy something made here. They sell a lot of stuff made in this country. In regards to the labor issues people have, I feel that the employees need to do something about that and that it is an issue between corporate Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart employees. And FWIW, my SIL actually works at Wal-Mart and one of my younger brothers works there overnight (see, staying on topic) stocking shelves. They live in a smallerish city in MI and so their store is open 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I can't speak for the granola crowd out in Decatur.

Here in the ATL we generally welcome good businesses, as long as they meet zoning codes, sound principles of urban design and don't bring crime or pollution.
Another +1 from me. Here in Atlanta, we do welcome good businesses including Wal-Mart. No need to discriminate and I even don't mind that they are only open until 10pm on MLK and 12am on Howell Mill. Unlike small towns, we have a lot of other places to get crap at 2am and FWIW, I worked 2nd shift for a LONG time and I was able to make it to Wal-Mart before midnight (got off at 11pm) or I would just drive up 75 to the one on Cobb Pkwy or when I lived here on the Westside, I could just drive out to Austell down MLK/Floyd Rd. There is much less traffic at night for 2nd shifters especially and I actually did do my shopping right after work most of the time.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to say, I live on the Westside and we had a Wal-Mart open on MLK last year and we were very excited and welcomed them. The Wal-Mart is in Vine City and near the AUC and that area was very much underdeveloped.

Wal-Mart gets a bad rap in other more crunchy areas, but where I live we love them. They are the only retailer who were willing to open here and Wal-Mart has a history of serving under developed areas, including both small towns and inner city neighborhoods.

I also own some of their stock. They make me a lot of money!! I am always happy to see them expand. Many complain about the lack of "Made in the USA" stuff, but really, they have quite a bit of items made here in the US. I am a big supporter of USA made items and I will pay extra to buy something made here. They sell a lot of stuff made in this country. In regards to the labor issues people have, I feel that the employees need to do something about that and that it is an issue between corporate Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart employees. And FWIW, my SIL actually works at Wal-Mart and one of my younger brothers works there overnight (see, staying on topic) stocking shelves. They live in a smallerish city in MI and so their store is open 24 hours.

Another +1 from me. Here in Atlanta, we do welcome good businesses including Wal-Mart. No need to discriminate and I even don't mind that they are only open until 10pm on MLK and 12am on Howell Mill. Unlike small towns, we have a lot of other places to get crap at 2am and FWIW, I worked 2nd shift for a LONG time and I was able to make it to Wal-Mart before midnight (got off at 11pm) or I would just drive up 75 to the one on Cobb Pkwy or when I lived here on the Westside, I could just drive out to Austell down MLK/Floyd Rd. There is much less traffic at night for 2nd shifters especially and I actually did do my shopping right after work most of the time.
I'm not a fan of Walmart, but they get a bad rap. They do their homework and take chances on urban and suburban areas no other large corporation cares about. In smaller towns (5,000 or less) they are the only large store.

The problem is not Walmart in large cities. The problem is often a matter of design. Dense, urban areas require a different design in that the Walmart actually fits into the surrounding neighborhood. The same people that hate Walmart, supposedly, won't shop anywhere else. The same cities blocking Walmart, those companies are not paying a competitive wage anyway. No one is forcing anyone in retail to work at Walmart. Retail was always a final option for me. Outside of management or ownership there was never a lot of money to be made, and I doubt that will ever change.

I can't speak for Georgia, but Walmart is expensive here. I actually live closer to Food Lion. For the extra money I would pay to drive to Walmart I can actually come out cheaper at Food Lion. The only reason to go to Walmart is the fact they have a larger selection. Obscure food items are easier to find at Walmart.

We also have "neighborhood" Walmart stores that sell groceries and nothing else. The selection can be on the high end and includes a lot of organic products that are hard to find here. Prices are high because the quantities are larger but it is convenient. I actually prefer those stores to the traditional Walmart.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I'm not a fan of Walmart, but they get a bad rap. They do their homework and take chances on urban and suburban areas no other large corporation cares about. In smaller towns (5,000 or less) they are the only large store.

The problem is not Walmart in large cities. The problem is often a matter of design. Dense, urban areas require a different design in that the Walmart actually fits into the surrounding neighborhood. The same people that hate Walmart, supposedly, won't shop anywhere else. The same cities blocking Walmart, those companies are not paying a competitive wage anyway. No one is forcing anyone in retail to work at Walmart. Retail was always a final option for me. Outside of management or ownership there was never a lot of money to be made, and I doubt that will ever change.

I can't speak for Georgia, but Walmart is expensive here. I actually live closer to Food Lion. For the extra money I would pay to drive to Walmart I can actually come out cheaper at Food Lion. The only reason to go to Walmart is the fact they have a larger selection. Obscure food items are easier to find at Walmart.

We also have "neighborhood" Walmart stores that sell groceries and nothing else. The selection can be on the high end and includes a lot of organic products that are hard to find here. Prices are high because the quantities are larger but it is convenient. I actually prefer those stores to the traditional Walmart.
In the area I live in they have an "urban" Wal-Mart. It is a smaller store and fits very well into the neighborhood. It is only a block from a subway/MARTA station and is right across the street from the dormitories at CAU that are on Brawley St. so are very accessible for all the students in the vicinity. We have one of the larges MARTA user populations in Atlanta on this side of town as many people cannot afford a car and the new Wal-Mart has been a welcome member to our community.

More townhomes are even being built next to it and at least 2-3 new businesses have opened up shop near its vicinity, which is on an historical commercial corridor of the city.

I do feel that Walmart is trying to do better with design.

In regards to price, I do think that their prices are much higher for groceries than Kroger. But for an area that was a food desert prior to them coming here, we are happy to have them and really they aren't all that much more expensive.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In the area I live in they have an "urban" Wal-Mart. It is a smaller store and fits very well into the neighborhood. It is only a block from a subway/MARTA station and is right across the street from the dormitories at CAU that are on Brawley St. so are very accessible for all the students in the vicinity. We have one of the larges MARTA user populations in Atlanta on this side of town as many people cannot afford a car and the new Wal-Mart has been a welcome member to our community.

More townhomes are even being built next to it and at least 2-3 new businesses have opened up shop near its vicinity, which is on an historical commercial corridor of the city.

I do feel that Walmart is trying to do better with design.

In regards to price, I do think that their prices are much higher for groceries than Kroger. But for an area that was a food desert prior to them coming here, we are happy to have them and really they aren't all that much more expensive.
Kroger is the largest grocery store in America that sells groceries and nothing else. Walmart has more locations than Kroger, but they aren't a grocery store in the purist sense of the term.

Walmart's prices are okay, but they do not have the leverage to compete with true grocery stores on price. But I do commend Walmart for bringing groceries to the 'hood where grocers like Kroger's may not tread. Kmart tried to adopt their strategy and lost. There is even a Walmart directly next to a Kmart in my own 'hood. Guess which one of those two stores is still open.

In Dayton Ohio, I had to go all the way out to the suburbs to Meijers, a Michigan based grocer. I loved that store, even though it took an hour to get out there by bus, and 20 to 30 minutes by car. There was this Kroger's in a really seedy, sketchy part of town. Southern Ohio has Kroger's all over, and being from the other part of the state, where I had never seen one before, I thought it was pretty cool. I eventually learned that they were based out of Cincinnati.

To make a long story short, Walmart's influence has a lot to do with the strength of local, regional grocery stores. Southern Ohio is dominated by stores like Kroger's and Meijers, In Northeast Ohio Acme dominates the scene. Food Lion, Harris Teeter and Farm Fresh dominate Southeastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina. So Walmart is just another store in these areas.

But if you're in a small town, where the only competition is an A&P or a Piggy Wiggly, or you're in the 'hood and the only option is a convenience store, Walmart is a huge deal.

Last edited by goofy328; 03-25-2014 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Kroger is the largest grocery store in America that sells groceries and nothing else. Walmart has more locations than Kroger, but they aren't a grocery store in the purist sense of the term.

Walmart's prices are okay, but they do not have the leverage to compete with true grocery stores on price. But I do commend Walmart for bringing groceries to the 'hood where grocers like Kroger's may not tread. Kmart tried to adopt their strategy and lost. There is even a Walmart directly next to a Kmart in my own 'hood. Guess which one of those two stores is still open.

In Dayton Ohio, I had to go all the way out to the suburbs to Meijers, a Michigan based grocer. I loved that store, even though it took an hour to get out there by bus, and 20 to 30 minutes by car. There was this Kroger's in a really seedy, sketchy part of town. Southern Ohio has Kroger's all over, and being from the other part of the state, where I had never seen one before, I thought it was pretty cool. I eventually learned that they were based out of Cincinnati.

To make a long story short, Walmart's influence has a lot to do with the strength of local, regional grocery stores. Southern Ohio is dominated by stores like Kroger's and Meijers, In Northeast Ohio Acme dominates the scene. Food Lion, Harris Teeter and Farm Fresh dominate Southeastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina. So Walmart is just another store in these areas.

But if you're in a small town, where the only competition is an A&P or a Piggy Wiggly, or you're in the 'hood and the only option is a convenience store, Walmart is a huge deal.
I actually am from Ohio. I have many relatives that work for Kroger and I actually do love Kroger grocery stores and like to support an Ohio based company. I have had many dealings with local clerks here in the one I deem "ghetto Kroger" and the corporate office has always bent over backward in many ways to satisfy my comments and complaints about that particular store. (I stopped shopping at that location so now just go to Howell Mill Kroger - it is 24 hours or the one people here call "Murder Kroger" on Ponce lol). I have heard Ghetto Kroger is much better now and that a lot of people were fired. They had horrible customer service so I am going to try them out again next time I am in that area.

I love Meijers too. Wish they had them here! They remind me a lot of Costco's but not the bulk-esque flavor. They are also 24 hours for those who don't know.

I also feel that Wal-Mart is just a store. I think because I was used to having Kroger and Kmart in the same plaza growing up and we had Meijer's and a bulk place called Gordon Food Store that you didn't have to have a membership to in order to shop and there were many locally owned grocery stores and meat stores and fish markets so to me Wal-Mart is not the best but I do like that they fill a void in many small towns and inner city neighborhoods and I feel they get too much bad press for what they are. I realize they are the largest retailer in the world, but really, they got to their status by doing some things right and adjusting when they get it wrong.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 AM

143 posts, read 242,350 times
From where I'm from (Montgomery, AL), Walmart crushed all the other grocery stores. Prior to Super Walmart coming to town, we had Winn-Dixie, Food World, Bruno's, Delchamps, Food Lion, and a local store Calhoun Foods. I think that now, there is ONE or TWO Winn-Dixie's left, ONE Food Lion (it might not be a Food Lion anymore but is still a grocery store), and 4 Super Walmarts...

Only 1 (the one out in Pike Road - consider it Montgomery's Alpharetta) is open 24 hours. The rest (inside the city limits) close at 9PM and midnight. The one closest to where I grew up was on the news when I was in high school for going from 24 hours to closing at 9PM because of the large amounts of thefts that happened at night...that Walmart in particular said that the amount that went missing was causing them to run in the red...I think it's things like that that cause Walmarts to close in certain locations and not others (among other reasons of course).

But ultimately, they are going to do what makes them money...they don't care about you or your work schedule or food deserts...they care about green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta