Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:44 PM

144 posts, read 399,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
There is nothing to analyze about gang bangers who spray bullets in neighborhoods. They grew up in a violent society so they will continue to be violent.

Why waist time with the obvious?
It's the "obvious" that is usually complicated. It is much more complicated than "they grew up in a violent society". Yes, the gangbangers did...but the majority of those who live in the "violent society" don't grow up and become directly aggressive towards others physically(except their children). So, there is indeed something to look into. A great book on the issue is Robin Grille's, Parenting For A Peaceful World. Human relationships are so complicated because they are indeed, so obvious.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:39 PM

132 posts, read 244,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Are you mad because John Howard is Bush's puppet?
John WHO ?
Oh, you mean that EX-Prime Minister ?
(now retired on his $330,000 year pension - having lost his seat in parliament at the election a couple of weeks ago)

Well yes, I certainly was miffed that he was such a toady to the U.S. warmongers.

His replacement from the opposite side of politics is less likely to be so subservient.
He has already flagged his intention to reverse many of Howard's pro-Yank policies.

Probably means that the CIA will sabotage his government one way or the other.
That is their historical pattern of meddling in the internal affairs of other nations.
Might is right.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
John WHO ?
Oh, you mean that EX-Prime Minister ?
(now retired on his $330,000 year pension - having lost his seat in parliament at the election a couple of weeks ago)

Well yes, I certainly was miffed that he was such a toady to the U.S. warmongers.

His replacement from the opposite side of politics is less likely to be so subservient.
He has already flagged his intention to reverse many of Howard's pro-Yank policies.

Probably means that the CIA will sabotage his government one way or the other.
That is their historical pattern of meddling in the internal affairs of other nations.
Might is right.
Gotta do what we gotta do I guess.

For the record, I disagree with a lot of the US foreign policy and I also think Bush is a moron.

I just think hearing it from you is an additional slap in the face when US citizens here can't do anything about it. So go ahead and lump us all together as war mongers all you want but don't expect to make any friends in the process.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:30 AM

132 posts, read 244,848 times
" .... US citizens here can't do anything about it. "

Steve. I fully accept that critique. You are 100% right.
I realize that America is not a democracy, that the system has been manipulated to the degree that the people do not determine their own destiny.

If it were not so tragic, it would be amusing.
Democracy ? Republic ? Freedom ?
What a load of codswallop.
There is not a monarch on the planet, now, or for the last century, who has as much personal power as the U.S. president.

Your lot will never realize - but you gave up the gold for the silver.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:

I realize that America is not a democracy, that the system has been manipulated to the degree that the people do not determine their own destiny.

There is not a monarch on the planet, now, or for the last century, who has as much personal power as the U.S. president.

Let me rephrase that, we can't do anything about it immediately. The democracy process has to take place in this coming election for changes to happen.

Let me guess, you think Bush will change the constitution with all his power to be elected for a 3rd term or indefinitely?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:

A lot of us here realize that our president is doing a lousy job; and a significant portion of us did what we could in 2004; but the majority spoke and we have what we have today.

I disagree with us not controlling our own destiny. That's what separates us from the rest of the world. Many people came over here to control their own destiny, which is how we became a superpower in part. Maybe it's because we're too optimistic--to the point of being naive at times. It's kind of refreshing to be overly optimistic actually, and not too bad of an image to have.

Also, one last thing, I don't mind when people abroad criticize our government. In fact, I welcome it, because what we do in regards to foreign policy has a resounding effect on the state of international relations. However, I hate it when people abroad act like their country has never done any, or doesn't do any dirt themselves.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,878 times
lol - are you regurgitating your tree hugging liberal poli-sci 101 professor at your local community college? No American I know thinks that we are a "pure" democracy. But then again, who is?

Quote:

Old 12-12-2007, 02:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
A lot of us here realize that our president is doing a lousy job; and a significant portion of us did what we could in 2004; but the majority spoke and we have what we have today.

I disagree with us not controlling our own destiny. That's what separates us from the rest of the world. Many people came over here to control their own destiny, which is how we became a superpower in part. Maybe it's because we're too optimistic--to the point of being naive at times. It's kind of refreshing to be overly optimistic actually, and not too bad of an image to have.

Also, one last thing, I don't mind when people abroad criticize our government. In fact, I welcome it, because what we do in regards to foreign policy has a resounding effect on the state of international relations. However, I hate it when people abroad act like their country has never done any, or doesn't do any dirt themselves.
I think a way to subvert ourselves from being able to control our destiny, at least from a standpoint of economics, is to keep electing politicians who have no problem confiscating 35-40% of your paycheck before you even see it. That's akin to rolling over and letting our politicians control our destinies, by giving them full economic control. Say what you will about Bush,(I have many separate issues with his presidency) but he signed into law two tax cuts that allowed people to keep more of their own money. To me, that's empowering. Any time a politician wants to raise taxes, conversely, this is a bad thing.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:54 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,887 times
I'm not the mod, but this discussion seems to have veered off course.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I'm not the mod, but this discussion seems to have veered off course.
Yeah, at least it is somewhat productive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta