Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 04:22 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I thought part of the problem with putting this thing downtown is that there's no way to bring passenger trains in.

However, I'm no expert on the subject.
The only "problem" is the Crescent and anything heading to the Northeast. But it's not really a problem, the northeast beltline crap has done a nice job clearing out the right of way so all it will take is bulldozing a few concrete strips and laying rails.

But moving it to Perimeter only means instead of one direction that has problems, ALL Of them would as dedicated right of way would have to be cut through all the development or along the highways to reach it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 04:48 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
When I was at the GSU dorms my first two years, me and my friends would take MARTA up to Perimeter Mall all the time. Very convenient. We would go Perimeter, then back down to Lenox. Sucks those that I have to take a train to the suburbs to do my shopping. Atlantic Station can be underwhelming. Really hope in the next 10 years, shopping in the core will be better.
How often does a college student living in a dorm actually shop at Lenox and Perimeter?

I hate malls. I wouldn't go that far to get to one.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
How often does a college student living in a dorm actually shop at Lenox and Perimeter?

I hate malls. I wouldn't go that far to get to one.
Pretty often, but I had a part-time job and money. Remember, HOPE pays for college here in GA so college students can have money in their pockets if they work. And I see plenty of other young people at Perimeter and Lenox, especially Lenox.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The only "problem" is the Crescent and anything heading to the Northeast. But it's not really a problem, the northeast beltline crap has done a nice job clearing out the right of way so all it will take is bulldozing a few concrete strips and laying rails.
I'm sure the residents that live up against the Beltline in Ansley Park, Midtown, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park/O4W would be thrilled.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:45 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I'm sure the residents that live up against the Beltline in Ansley Park, Midtown, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park/O4W would be thrilled.
A few yuppie dog walkers don't get to force their lifestyle on thousands of others. It's cliche, it's Star Trek, but it's so succinctly stated and accurate, I don't feel bad saying it: the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 AM

254 posts, read 369,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
A few yuppie dog walkers don't get to force their lifestyle on thousands of others.
Wait, is this a joke? Have you been on the Beltline? There are thousands of people that use it. On weekends it is PACKED. Also the political will to rip out the Beltline trail on the eastside simply doesn't exist. It's not going anywhere, and I'm glad it isn't. The eastside neighborhoods, as well as midtown, would be in an uproar if something like that was proposed.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I like the northside Beltline trails and certainly wouldn't want them removed, but in many parts of Atlanta people are fine with walking (and biking and jogging) on the residential streets or on sidewalks.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
I like the northside Beltline trails and certainly wouldn't want them removed, but in many parts of Atlanta people are fine with walking (and biking and jogging) on the residential streets or on sidewalks.
But most in the city proper are not satisfied with just going for a walk around the cul-de-sac after dinner. We want to walking and biking paths that we use to connect our entire city and use them to get around so we can bypass all the suburbanites stuck in their cars.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
But most in the city proper are not satisfied with just going for a walk around the cul-de-sac after dinner. We want to walking and biking paths that we use to connect our entire city and use them to get around so we can bypass all the suburbanites stuck in their cars.
I hear what you're saying, but don't you figure that the vast majority of people on the Beltline are recreational users?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 AM

254 posts, read 369,796 times
Quote:
I hear what you're saying, but don't you figure that the vast majority of people on the Beltline are recreational users?
From what I see there definitely are a lot of recreational users, but also a lot of people using it to get to events and festivals, the park, etc. My friends and I use it to get to beer festivals and other things. My roommate actually commutes to work on it multiple days a week, and we use it when we go to Trader Joe's. Once Ponce City opens even more people will use it to get somewhere, not just recreation. It's a great tool for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta