Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 12:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
'Spunk'. Is that what they call that these days?
spunk
spəNGk/
noun
noun: spunk
informal
courage and determination.
synonyms:courage, bravery, valor, nerve, confidence, daring, audacity, pluck, spirit, grit, mettle, spine, backbone; More
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:19 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
While you're at it, look up rude, bitter and unhappy.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:41 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
spunk
spəNGk/
noun
noun: spunk
informal
courage and determination.
synonyms:courage, bravery, valor, nerve, confidence, daring, audacity, pluck, spirit, grit, mettle, spine, backbone; More
"Courage"?Yeh on the internet talking crap to people you don't know that you would never say in person.Courage my a*&!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:12 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
While you're at it, look up rude, bitter and unhappy.
Also: tact

Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
One of the things both Atlanta and Dallas have in common is that new stadiums are being built outside of the downtown areas. This is opposite of a trend in some other cities. The MLB Braves are building theirs 10 miles northwest of downtown Atlanta in Cumberland. Jerry Jones' palace for the NFL Cowboys was built in Arlington and the MLB Rangers continue to play in Arlington. I do know that at least the Falcons new stadium will not be far from where they currently play,so certainly glad they did not bolt for the suburbs, but they play far fewer games than the Braves. The Braves deserved better from the city of Atlanta and have had better and more consistent success than the Falcons with several appearances in the playoffs and the World Series over the last 25 years. Falcons made it to the Super Bowl just once and lost. BTW, I do think Atlanta has a good chance to host that game in 2019.

Many major cities have put these (or have plans to do so) in their downtowns in the last decade or so to add more vitality (Minneapolis, San Diego, Sacramento soon, and some others).

I am surprised the civic leaders that represent the downtowns in Atlanta and Dallas did not have the clout to make it happen vs. the suburban leaders. Do the math: multiply average attendance by number of home games and find out how many fewer people will be downtown than could have otherwise happened.

I know someone will chirp back that some people go straight to the game and straight back home. However, if even a modest 20% of them get there early to do something or stay afterwards to do something, it has a strong impact. Occasionally on a weekend game, a fan (esp one from outside the metro) might stay downtown overnight, too and eat breakfast or lunch the next day before going home.

Both cities will be missing out on that additional vitality and the additional people that could have been downtown instead of in outlying areas.

Both are fine cities with green landscapes and I am only critiquing this one aspect, not "bashing".

At least it got the thread away from various word definitions that most of us already know and back to city topics. LOL!

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-29-2014 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:34 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
One of the things both Atlanta and Dallas have in common is that new stadiums are being built outside of the downtown areas. This is opposite of a trend in some other cities. The MLB Braves are building theirs 10 miles northwest of downtown Atlanta in Cumberland. Jerry Jones' palace for the NFL Cowboys was built in Arlington and the MLB Rangers continue to play in Arlington. I do know that at least the Falcons new stadium will not be far from where they currently play,so certainly glad they did not bolt for the suburbs, but they play far fewer games than the Braves. The Braves deserved better from the city of Atlanta and have had better and more consistent success than the Falcons with several appearances in the playoffs and the World Series over the last 25 years. Falcons made it to the Super Bowl just once and lost. BTW, I do think Atlanta has a good chance to host that game in 2019.

Many major cities have put these (or have plans to do so) in their downtowns in the last decade or so to add more vitality (Minneapolis, San Diego, Sacramento soon, and some others).

I am surprised the civic leaders that represent the downtowns in Atlanta and Dallas did not have the clout to make it happen vs. the suburban leaders. Do the math: multiply average attendance by number of home games and find out how many fewer people will be downtown than could have otherwise happened.

I know someone will chirp back that some people go straight to the game and straight back home. However, if even a modest 20% of them get there early to do something or stay afterwards to do something, it has a strong impact. Occasionally on a weekend game, a fan (esp one from outside the metro) might stay downtown overnight, too and eat breakfast or lunch the next day before going home.

Both cities will be missing out on that additional vitality and the additional people that could have been downtown instead of in outlying areas.

Both are fine cities with green landscapes and I am only critiquing this one aspect, not "bashing".

At least it got the thread away from various word definitions that most of us already know and back to city topics. LOL!
Good points; however, they do imply that the city center is a better place and more deserving of these facilities and activities than any other place. While I have to agree with you, I do know I'm biased.

Last edited by AnsleyPark; 05-29-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 11:16 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:

A big difference in Dallas is that Arlington is about the halfway point between downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth... actually a bit closer to Fort Worth. Also of note, the Cowboys moved to Arlington from Irving and the Rangers have never been in Dallas, moved to Arlington directly from Washington.

The site of Texas stadium in Irving was just across the Trinity River from the city limits of Dallas, a very similar distance and just across the border as the Braves new Cobb location is compared to the CoA. The NBA Mavericks and NHL Stars do play in American Airlines Arena in downtown Dallas, but the MLS Franchise FC Dallas is about 25 miles up the tollway in Frisco. That would be more akin to an Atlanta franchise in Alpharetta or South Forsyth.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:20 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:

I would have agreed with youwhen it was first announced that the Braves were moving form Downtown but due to recent developments,this will only aid Atlanta's vitallty.
Few points to make:
1.The Braves are near Cumberland but they still will have an Atlanta address.The zip code in that area is a shared one with Smyrna.

2.Turner Field has absolutely nothing around it in its immediate area.No shopping,no resturants and no attractions.So the vitality you speak of is a moot point.
The only thing the city is loosing,is the revenue from the taxes the Braves bring.Yes its a big loss but this is my next poit.

3)GSU is in talks to buy all of Turner Filed and the immediate parking lots to develop what will be the new center of their campus.
GSU plans to build Footnall and Baseball fields,Campus Housing and academic buildings in what it be millions of dollars invested in an area that has been blighted for years.

4)The city will have to pay NO money to develop this area.This is a major deal that can and will likely lead to a new vibrant downtown and section that has been so neglected for such a long time.
Better yet,the city will be making money on this deal.

The Braves leaving is one of the best things that could have happened.I don't wish it but i see this being more of a negative fo Cobb within the next 10 years.
Georgia State Univ. confirms big plans for Turner Field

Old 05-31-2014, 03:37 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I would have agreed with youwhen it was first announced that the Braves were moving form Downtown but due to recent developments,this will only aid Atlanta's vitallty.
Few points to make:
1.The Braves are near Cumberland but they still will have an Atlanta address.The zip code in that area is a shared one with Smyrna.

2.Turner Field has absolutely nothing around it in its immediate area.No shopping,no resturants and no attractions.So the vitality you speak of is a moot point.
The only thing the city is loosing,is the revenue from the taxes the Braves bring.Yes its a big loss but this is my next poit.

3)GSU is in talks to buy all of Turner Filed and the immediate parking lots to develop what will be the new center of their campus.
GSU plans to build Footnall and Baseball fields,Campus Housing and academic buildings in what it be millions of dollars invested in an area that has been blighted for years.

4)The city will have to pay NO money to develop this area.This is a major deal that can and will likely lead to a new vibrant downtown and section that has been so neglected for such a long time.
Better yet,the city will be making money on this deal.

The Braves leaving is one of the best things that could have happened.I don't wish it but i see this being more of a negative fo Cobb within the next 10 years.
Georgia State Univ. confirms big plans for Turner Field
I researched and was surprised to learn that it takes twenty minutes to walk from the nearest MARTA station to Turner Field. I was not necessarily making the case for the stadium to be built right at the Turner Field site. They could have built in another downtown location with more restaurant options. I am assuming there was no other good downtown site then and that is unfortunate.

Was just surprised they chose one 10 miles from downtown; that was all. That is less typical these days. Big plans regarding GSU are just that...big plans. Hope it all works out for that site and the college project you mentioned gets completed. No guarantees until that actually happens though. Given the city's recent successes with the new aquarium, etc, there is a good chance they will be done.

The other points you make are very good ones.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:25 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
I researched and was surprised to learn that it takes twenty minutes to walk from the nearest MARTA station to Turner Field. I was not necessarily making the case for the stadium to be built right at the Turner Field site. They could have built in another downtown location with more restaurant options. I am assuming there was no other good downtown site then and that is unfortunate.

Was just surprised they chose one 10 miles from downtown; that was all. That is less typical these days. Big plans regarding GSU are just that...big plans. Hope it all works out for that site and the college project you mentioned gets completed. No guarantees until that actually happens though. Given the city's recent successes with the new aquarium, etc, there is a good chance they will be done.

The other points you make are very good ones.
Apparently people that live 3000 miles away have no clue what is going on at GSU. The growth over the last few years has been explosive. None of these future plans are surprising to a local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta