Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It was probably just some sort of public relations gimmick from back in the day that kinda took on a life of its own.
Not far off; I think it had to do with a city versus country dichotomy, where the agrarian South was home to the people that worked in the clean open air of the country, and the industrial North was where people worked in dingy factories in sooty cities.

I think it was also rooted in a contrast with the stereotype of the dour and sullen New England descendant of Puritans who are so possessed of hard work and stern moralism that they won't ever stop and afford themselves a moment to enjoy life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM

216 posts, read 298,639 times
Native Atlantan here.......this whole tread is bordering silly and rooted in old stereotypical undertones. I won't even bother debating some of the stuff stated here, because when it’s all said and done.....what's the point? People will be people. Being southern (Atlantan/black/white/gay or anything as a matter of fact) is not a monolithic experience nor does having "southern hospitality" paint a complete picture of one person, group or experience. Some people are not meant to be artist, some people are not meant to paint. Put the brush and canvas away... I'll make it simple: You only get what you put out into the world!
Perfect examples.....it is also a well known stereotype that the French/ New Yorkers are rude. I've never had a problem in any place I've been because I don't travel with any preconceived notions on a group of people. There will always be the good, the bad, the indifferent, etc. I've had people go out there way to help me all over the world. Call it Karma, sincerity, a state of mind or having the common decency, the whole world seems to have “Southern Hospitality” in my perspective.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
Native Atlantan here.......this whole tread is bordering silly and rooted in old stereotypical undertones. I won't even bother debating some of the stuff stated here, because when it’s all said and done.....what's the point? People will be people. Being southern (Atlantan/black/white/gay or anything as a matter of fact) is not a monolithic experience nor does having "southern hospitality" paint a complete picture of one person, group or experience. Some people are not meant to be artist, some people are not meant to paint. Put the brush and canvas away... I'll make it simple: You only get what you put out into the world!
Perfect examples.....it is also a well known stereotype that the French/ New Yorkers are rude. I've never had a problem in any place I've been because I don't travel with any preconceived notions on a group of people. There will always be the good, the bad, the indifferent, etc. I've had people go out there way to help me all over the world. Call it Karma, sincerity, a state of mind or having the common decency, the whole world seems to have “Southern Hospitality” in my perspective.
Bingo! Thanks for posting.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:09 AM

216 posts, read 298,639 times
Btw.......some of the people you guys (see I didn't say Y'all) may assume are not from here could very well be from here. Almost no one believes I am from here because I don’t fit the mold/stereotype. Like someone else mentioned in this post, I know for a fact (because of Fb) a lot of the people I grew up with still live here.

Last edited by kayoticworld; 04-25-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 09:33 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
That's all fine and good and I agree. What bothers me is when people try to argue that Southern "hospitality" isn't just fake and shallow, but is in fact sinister in some way. That's complete BS.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:43 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
The whole "southern hospitality" think is complete baloney. Why should I be expected to be any more or less friendly than anybody else?

And why should people in other parts of the country get a pass on being nice?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:37 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The whole "southern hospitality" think is complete baloney. Why should I be expected to be any more or less friendly than anybody else?

And why should people in other parts of the country get a pass on being nice?
OK, fine. But doesn't it bother you that such a concept has existed for so long when there is no basis in it?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:40 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
OK, fine. But doesn't it bother you that such a concept has existed for so long when there is no basis in it?
Oh, gosh, Lovin. Plenty of folks believe in plenty of things in which there is no basis other than faith in their existence. UFOs, Atlantis, the world's religions, good Republicans, and so on... (kidding on the last one!)

Old 04-25-2014, 11:02 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
True, it makes me chuckle when people come to a 4 way stop and no one goes because they're all waving each other on. Up north people would be pushing to cross the interwar croon first. We so have much more polite (albeit slow) drivers

Old 04-25-2014, 11:10 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Oh, gosh, Lovin. Plenty of folks believe in plenty of things in which there is no basis other than faith in their existence. UFOs, Atlantis, the world's religions, good Republicans, and so on... (kidding on the last one!)
Most all stereotypes are based on some FACT. And Southern Hospitality is most definitely based on historical FACT. People in the south didn't make this up; people from other parts of the country and world who visited the South did. So stop blaming Southerners for being nice!

Cities like Charleston, Savannah and New Orleans have been know for hundreds of years for their hospitality toward outsiders and strangers. Many other cities in the south as well. A lot of it is grounded in the nature of Scots-Irish immigrants and the planter class who settled the region. You took interest in your fellow man. You invited people into your home. You took care of those in need. Yes, these traits are natural to most human beings. But it was less likely in the crowded industrial cities of Europe, where people were widely judged on class, and the mass of European immigrants who flooded the cities of the Northeast during the 1800s brought that suspicion and sensibility with them.

Like I said before, I don't understand why people get so angry and derisive about this. Why not just let southern hospitality be what it is? It's not evil. It's not sinister. It's not some conspiracy to secretly win your trust and then stab you in the back or steal your baby.

Be glad it exists and return the favor.

And here's something else: If people aren't being nice to you, perhaps you should look in the mirror. Kindness is infectious. You have to give it to receive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta