Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,496 times

Advertisements

Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 09:25 AM

11 posts, read 22,002 times
Wrong for the most part. It was the influx of northern transplants who flooded the metro area after the Olympics, when they realized they could get a McMansion for $300,000 vs a 80 year old bungalow, who ultimately did the southern charm in. As of ten years ago, there was more than 50% northern transplant in metro ATL, so who knows what it could be now.

The Olympics destroyed more good things about the metro area than you can ever imagine. And the traffic wasn't bad in the early 90's either. RIP Capt Herb.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,610 times
I don't disagree that many have moved away since I've met very few native Atlantans since moving here, but that could just be my personal experience and not representative of the entire metro.

Regarding lack of southern hospitatlity (whatever the reason), I will have to go along with that. Before I found my zen spot lol, I was arguing with these residents left and right. I couldn't believe anyone would talk to me that way, but I let it go. I relapse from time to time, but for the most part I don't let it bother me any more than a cloudy day.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,684 times
You know, some of the nicest people I've met in this area are from somewhere else. Personally, I've had the exact opposite experience--the native Georgians are very cliquish, gossipy, and generally turn a blind eye to you if you don't attend their church or aren't a Christian.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
You know, some of the nicest people I've met in this area are from somewhere else. Personally, I've had the exact opposite experience--the native Georgians are very cliquish, gossipy, and generally turn a blind eye to you if you don't attend their church or aren't a Christian.
This.

I know a lot of native Atlantans and they don't have the stereotypical southern hospitality and they never did.

I have come the conclusion that "southern hospitality" equals being two-faced (when someone is nice in your face but talks about or try to demean you behind your back).

Most of the nicer people I know are not from Atlanta. Many are from the south, but not GA or Atlanta. The nicest people I have met from the south and who I feel exhibit "southern hospitality" are from Louisiana, Tennessee, N. Carolina, and Kentucky (and the last 3 many southerners I know don't even consider to be all that southern lol).

Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,068 times
Most Ga natives stay in Ga generally. There was an article that I read about this year's ago.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I don't disagree that many have moved away since I've met very few native Atlantans since moving here, but that could just be my personal experience and not representative of the entire metro.

Regarding lack of southern hospitatlity (whatever the reason), I will have to go along with that. Before I found my zen spot lol, I was arguing with these residents left and right. I couldn't believe anyone would talk to me that way, but I let it go. I relapse from time to time, but for the most part I don't let it bother me any more than a cloudy day.
I did the same thing LOL.

I am VERY calm now and don't let stuff get to me like I used to and I know expect people to be mediocre at work in certain jobs or when I have a customer service concern at businesses, something that I was just not used to before. But I actually did do zen meditation about a year after moving here and it helped me tremendously deal with getting along with others here, mostly southerners.

FWIW, people talk about New Yorkers, but I find them to be very down to earth and about business and honest with you. They may be a little gruff but I would trust them more than a southerner in most circumstances because I feel they will be more real about any situation whether personal or professional.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:49 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
...I have come the conclusion that "southern hospitality" equals being two-faced (when someone is nice in your face but talks about or try to demean you behind your back)...
That's actually pretty much true. I have no illusions about it, but I am used to a little more politeness in our fakeness.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:52 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,600 times
I have to admit that some of the nicest people I have met are not from Atlanta. My husband and I have been told that we are 'nice' people, and we are both from the 'north' -- which is supposedly where all the 'rude' people come from ...

Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I did the same thing LOL.

I am VERY calm now and don't let stuff get to me like I used to and I know expect people to be mediocre at work in certain jobs or when I have a customer service concern at businesses, something that I was just not used to before. But I actually did do zen meditation about a year after moving here and it helped me tremendously deal with getting along with others here, mostly southerners.

FWIW, people talk about New Yorkers, but I find them to be very down to earth and about business and honest with you. They may be a little gruff but I would trust them more than a southerner in most circumstances because I feel they will be more real about any situation whether personal or professional.

As someone who has spent exactly half her life in Boston and half down south, I agree-- to a Southerner, Northerners are "rude", "blunt" etc...but you know where you stand with them, they typically don't play the "polite to your face while stabbing you in the back" game. It took me a long time to get accustomed to that cultural change. Another personal observation- people here are very flakey with social plans for some reason. I rarely ran into this in Boston. I don't know why this is, but it's something a few of my fellow transplants have noticed as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta