Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What company will be Atlanta's MLS team's shirt sponsor?
Home Depot (the easy answer) 1 7.69%
UPS 0 0%
Coca Cola 5 38.46%
Delta Air Lines 7 53.85%
Aflac 0 0%
Southern Company 0 0%
Sun Trust Banks 0 0%
First Data 0 0%
Chick-Fil-A 0 0%
NCR 0 0%
AGCO 0 0%
AirTran Airways 0 0%
Turner Broadcasting System 0 0%
Earthlink 0 0%
Equifax 0 0%
Georgia-Pacific 0 0%
AT&T 0 0%
Bank of America (NON Atlanta) 0 0%
OTHER: GEORGIA based company 0 0%
OTHER: NON Georgia based company 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's new MLS team (I personally am hoping will simply go by: Resurgens FC after the city seal & represented by a phoenix), I'm wondering who will be the shirt sponsor...

Of course, the shirt sponsor doesn't HAVE TO BE an Atlanta Business, and it's not a given that it's going to be Home Depot (I know most are assuming that because of Arthur Blank, but that's actually probably not likely as with him owning Home Depot and the team, why be the sponsor when you can sell the sponsor rights to another company as more income?).

Below, I'm listing other shirt sponsors that already exist:

Chicago Fire - Quaker
Chivas USA - Corona
Columbus Crew - Barbasol
DC United - Volkswagen
FC Dallas - AdvoCare
LA Galaxy - Herbalife
Montreal Impact - Bank of Montreal
New England Revolution - UnitedHealthcare
NY Red Bulls - Red Bull
Philadelphia Union - Bimbo
Portland Timbers - Alaska Airlines
Real Salt Lake - XanGo
Seattle Sounders FC - Xbox
Sporting Kansas City - Ivy Funds
Toronto FC - Bank of Montreal
Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Bell Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 AM

298 posts, read 373,783 times
I think you need to consider companies who already have an existing sponsorship with MLS and also have a presence in Atlanta. That leaves us with Home Depot, which Blank does not have any affiliation with anymore, except maybe stock ownership. He doesn't directly own the company, he doesn't serve on the Board of Directors or any leadership position.

Outside of that, then you'd consider other Fortune 500 companies located in the area who maybe could benefit from sponsorship. Coca-Cola, while it seems like an easy choice, seems to focus on larger promotions like the World Cup and the Olympics. I don't think they'd end up becoming a league or official team sponsor, but you never know. I could see UPS or Delta Air Lines as other possible companies, but outside of those two I don't see any large companies that would see MLS advertising / sponsorship as a benefit.

Considering shirt sponsorship in MLS isn't that expensive (around $5 million for the most expensive sponsorship) it definitely opens the door to companies outside of just large, Fortune 500 companies.

But if I had to guess, I would assume Home Depot, UPS, or Delta Air Lines. That's just looking at Atlanta-based companies however. Sponsorship could come from anywhere.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:10 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,737 times
Definitely Delta, and definitely (Atlanta) Resurgens FC for the name. Btw, DC United's kit sponsor is no longer VW, it's leidos, and RSL has Lifevantage now.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Part of me wants it to be Mellow Mushroom, so we can have an anthropomorphism stoned hippie mushroom carrying pizza on the front of the kit. But I guess that's just me.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:40 AM

687 posts, read 744,794 times
American Family Insurance just announced as Atlanta United's inaugural jersey sponsor.

They will also be the lead sponsor on the first team try-out day and also be the sponsor of the Fan Village at the new Mercedes-Benz stadium.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:32 PM

376 posts, read 330,456 times
As an Atlanta United FC season ticket holder I think this is a horrible choice. I wanted Coca-Cola or Delta.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:47 AM

687 posts, read 744,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
As an Atlanta United FC season ticket holder I think this is a horrible choice. I wanted Coca-Cola or Delta.
I hear you but teams don't normally just decide who they want to sponsor them. If Coke were sponsoring a club (which they don't I believe) don't you think they would be going for a Man United or Barcelona of the world rather than a yet to kick a ball MLS outfit (regardless of home town sentimentality)?

Kudos to American Family Insurance for supporting the club from the outset.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,737 times
This is being universally panned, especially with so many local options, including smaller companies, that they could have chosen. After a boring team name, uninspired shirt sponsor, delayed stadium opening, and rumored greatly imbellished season ticket sales reports, if they bungle the jersey/kit design, hold onto your hats.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:09 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
and rumored greatly imbellished season ticket sales reports
Hadn't heard about this. Tell us more...

Old 07-14-2016, 09:27 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
I hear you but teams don't normally just decide who they want to sponsor them. If Coke were sponsoring a club (which they don't I believe) don't you think they would be going for a Man United or Barcelona of the world rather than a yet to kick a ball MLS outfit (regardless of home town sentimentality)?

Kudos to American Family Insurance for supporting the club from the outset.

I am a little surprised at this one, but it could have been worse. Every time I see an LA Galaxy jersey, I think about pyramid schemes. *lol*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta