Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:59 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,751,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
When I was a kid we took a "double bus" to the Fulton County Library after school to wait for our parents to pick us up. It was like 2 chassis connected by an accordian (of course bold kids would dare each other to "ride the middle" as the bus turned corners. Are there any modern day versions of this running in ATL currently? I haven't seen them in forever.
No 60ft buses are currently in service for MARTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 03:09 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,923,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
The thing is Cobb would never foot the bill for even a light rail stop at the new stadium, but ironically they are going to have to spend more money later on down the road when their traffic problems become to massive to ignore. Right now all of Cobb's plans, funding aside, call for adding more vehicle infrastructure, which is just not going to help the problem. But yeah maybe Liberty Media can pay for a light rail line to the stadium, as a gift to residents of Cobb County. I mean since they are so confident they are going to get $400 million and some change from private investors for the initial stages of this mixed use development, maybe they can hit up a Saudi Prince or two who might be interested in investing in their grand vision.
honestly even if the light rail line was free, i don't think the cobb leadership would take it. they are still in the 1960s when it comes to race and they have pretty clearly stated they don't want "those people from atlanta" coming to the games. cobb is rapidly changing, though, and the people hanging onto those racist viewpoints are going to find themselves in the minority very quickly.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:34 AM

226 posts, read 277,044 times
I was on a train last week with a bunch of kids. There was garbage.And it was hot. So you can imagine the smell. MARTA needs to stop people throwing garbage on the trains and stations. I hope it gets fixed. Maybe more waste cans? Enforcers that prevent the garbage from collecting?

Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 AM

32,063 posts, read 37,028,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
How does Home Depot rely heavily on transit?
I'm just going on what Home Depot itself says, Mathman.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,008,337 times
Adding more BRT routes. Piedmont Rd and Roswell Rd needs to have more frequent service as does Moreland Ave. Upgrade the bus routes along these corridors to something similar to Select Service in NYC, mta.info | Select Bus Service

Old 06-02-2014, 11:25 AM
bu2

24,268 posts, read 15,112,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
When I was a kid we took a "double bus" to the Fulton County Library after school to wait for our parents to pick us up. It was like 2 chassis connected by an accordian (of course bold kids would dare each other to "ride the middle" as the bus turned corners. Are there any modern day versions of this running in ATL currently? I haven't seen them in forever.

I don't understand the bus stigma (vs streetcar or even train). Is it because the bus can be slowwww or because of an economic status/unsafe perception? I know some routes are very long/convoluted--I'm lucky that I could catch the bus every ~10 mins then its 10-15 mins to the station. The status stigma doesn't make sense to me as the same people on the bus can get on the train.

At any rate, MARTA has come a very long way from my childhood days. The new buses look sharp & seem much quieter, too!
I haven't seen any here. Houston added some articulated buses about 10-15 years ago. They're still around in some places.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:37 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,561,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
honestly even if the light rail line was free, i don't think the cobb leadership would take it. they are still in the 1960s when it comes to race and they have pretty clearly stated they don't want "those people from atlanta" coming to the games. cobb is rapidly changing, though, and the people hanging onto those racist viewpoints are going to find themselves in the minority very quickly.
I'm kinda ok with Cobb turning its nose to it. It'll spur more urban development for those who want it and make parts of the city proper better. I have no reason to go to Cobb, and feel even less so every passing day.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,008,337 times
Default How to Make Mass Transit financially stable

How to Make Mass Transit Financially Sustainable Once and for All - CityLab
Maybe Keith Parker can take some cues from this article in making MARTA more profitable?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,271,199 times
He is already doing step 5. There are some interesting concepts in there, especially #1, competitive tendering. I dunno how much MARTA and the unions would like this though.

Most of that is nearly impossible to do here in Atlanta -
Quote:
2. An independent transit utility can raise fares, with the approval of a public utilities commission, so that average farebox recovery approaches and eventually exceeds 100 percent. This should be accompanied by full cost pricing for competing transportation modes — in other words, higher gas taxes or road fares.
A good idea, but toxic to a politician.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,236,156 times
FYI...

Just got a tweet that Keith Parker will be on 11 Alive this Sunday at 11:00am. He will be providing updates and discussing next steps for MARTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta