Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:40 AM

6 posts, read 8,016 times

Advertisements

So, long story short... I have a friend who has a house about a mile from the East Atlanta Village on a quiet street. I'm currently looking to relocate from where I am currently in Alpharetta, but looking to stay on the MARTA train line (I work in Buckhead, so I take the train into work every day). Luckily, there's a MARTA pickup right across the road from her house, (unsure if it drops off at the train station).

However, my concern is this: I am a suburban dude. Always have been, though not necessarily by choice as my parents have never lived in the city. I'm not exactly what you consider a social butterfly, happen to have nerdy interests, and drinking and questionable mind-altering substances aren't really my thing. I'm looking to get into something with physical activity in it as well, like maybe a local soccer meet up or something, maybe meet some relatively nerdy-minded folk like me and maybe do stuff that doesn't require tons of money.

EDIT: I should also mention that when people bring up "urban living," I have no idea what that means beyond being able to walk to most places.

So, while East Atlanta Village, and other seemingly up-and-coming areas are nearby, I don't know if it would be a good fit for me, socially, and I haven't been around that area enough to really get a proper read on it beside bars, expensive restaurants, tattoo shops and smoke shops.

So, I guess I'm looking to get some information by people familiar with the area and are more acquainted with what's around. I have to make a decision in about a week, so I'm trying to glean if it would be a good fit for me.

EDIT 2: I should also mention that living near a MARTA train station also means that I could get around pretty much anywhere in Atlanta, but the immediate vicinity in EAV is more of a concern to me.

Last edited by Skelefiend; 06-22-2014 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Add'l info added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:04 AM

298 posts, read 374,002 times
Hey Skelefiend.

I hang out in the area a lot and have friends who own homes there (late 20s demographic). EAV doesn't sound like a good fit for you. I'll give you my two cents of the area first: I enjoy hanging out in the village (where the bars, restaurants are) but the neighborhood doesn't have particularly good access to MARTA rail, is a bit too spread out for me once you get outside the village, can be sort of dicey with crime, lacks the proximity to amenities (like grocery) that I desire, and is a bit further out from all the other in town neighborhoods I prefer to spend my time in. All in all, unless you're near the village (which you said you'll be a mile away) and/or enjoy riding your bike to do errands, the neighborhood is very suburban in nature.

With that said, you can easily drive to Candler Park Station and park your car to commute to Buckhead(this is what my friends do). And while I complain about how far it is from other in town neighborhoods, that's all relative. Considering you're coming from a suburban locale, it'll be infinitely closer to these neighborhoods than you are now.

I would definitely recommend checking out some other in town neighborhoods if you're considering living in the city. You can always visit your friend(s) and EAV.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 8,016 times
Thanks for the response ATLJR.

What in-town neighborhoods are you referring to specifically? Also, what makes EAV different from them? There's a Kroger and some shopping plazas a mile or two from where she lives, (a pretty nice Kroger with some fast food restaurants and small plazas around), and she's also three or four miles from the Edgewood shopping center, (the one with the Best Buy and Lowes and stuff).

Old 06-22-2014, 10:17 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
I think you would be fine living there. Just because you live somewhere that is walkable doesn't mean you have to go out every night.

I agree with the above, it is not particularly close to a MARTA rail station. However, if you are near the 74 bus that is not a bad option as it goes directly into Five Points MARTA. You would need to change trains there anyways if you were on the east rail line. I see a lot of people taking that bus in the mornings.

Of course if you find an option on the N-S rail line it will make your commute shorter.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:23 AM

298 posts, read 374,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelefiend View Post
Thanks for the response ATLJR.

What in-town neighborhoods are you referring to specifically? Also, what makes EAV different from them? There's a Kroger and some shopping plazas a mile or two from where she lives, (a pretty nice Kroger with some fast food restaurants and small plazas around), and she's also three or four miles from the Edgewood shopping center, (the one with the Best Buy and Lowes and stuff).
When my younger sister graduated from college she wanted to live in the city, but had no experiences in city living - she lived in the suburbs and then a rural college town. So for her, I recommended the Virginia Highland neighborhood and she absolutely loves it (I've lived here too, among other places). The point of that story is that I feel if you're going to live in the city for the first time, it's a great neighborhood to do that in. The only negative for you is that you're not very close to a MARTA rail station, but there are bus lines that will drop you off on one fairly easily. I would also look into Inman Park, Virginia Highland, Poncey Highland, Midtown (specifically the historic home part), and Candler Park. It all sort of depends on what sort of living situation (apartment, home, etc.) you're looking for and for what cost.

The neighborhoods I listed above all are a bit more dense and have more amenities around them. They're all also fairly close to each other and with the Beltline, easily accessible to one another. East Atlanta Village is sort of off on its own and tends to have higher rates of crime. It's also more spread out and like you said, the shopping, etc. are a mile or two away. If this okay with you, obviously that's not something to consider. It's just for me, I'd rather be closer.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
My wife and I live in Kirkwood, just north of I-20 from East Atlanta. There are 2 MARTA stations close by, that one can walk or bike to. We both use MARTA to commute to work so having the easy rail access is key.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,426,755 times
You really only need to answer one question to see if EAV is for you. Do you own a pair of skinny jeans?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelefiend View Post

So, while East Atlanta Village, and other seemingly up-and-coming areas are nearby, I don't know if it would be a good fit for me, socially, and I haven't been around that area enough to really get a proper read on it beside bars, expensive restaurants, tattoo shops and smoke shops.
I don't think EAV is a good fit for you, but your read on the neighborhood is a bit inaccurate based on your statement that since there are expensive restauirants in EAV. There are no expensive restaurants in EAV.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:14 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There are no expensive restaurants in EAV.
Define "Expensive Restaurants".

They may not be the most expensive places but some of the best reviewed places in the city are in and around EAV.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Define "Expensive Restaurants".
I won't define anything, but you can eat a meal for $10 or less in literally every restaurant in EAV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta