Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:56 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times

Advertisements

Oh look, the same people having the same discussion about the Braves again. Must be a day ending in Y.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:08 AM

126 posts, read 231,890 times
I'm just curious if CCT has the buses and money to conduct such a major people-moving operation of getting folks to the new stadium from the Arts Center Station (ad vice versa). It takes what, about 10-20 buses for MARTA to operate the Braves Shuttle for the games, right? Combined with the amount of distance the buses would have to cover, along with the increased traffic to get there, they would need at least twice that to provide a convenient, attractive service to those riding public transit. This would have to happen for every home game, and it may just be me, but I have trouble seeing the Braves or Cobb County sinking money into this venture. MARTA and the City of Atlanta definitely won't.

Amending the Route 10 to have a game-day schedule or starting a dedicated route for the Braves Stadium won't be a problem for CCT, as they're arguably the largest and most competent surburban transit system in Atlanta. But I have reasons to believe that the quality of whatever service they offer to MARTA and the rest of the metro (by extension) will be dubious, at best.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:25 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
With 2 separate stadiums being built in 2 different parts of town, with completely different budgets, I'm sure the city/Marta can make some changes on budget how Marta is operated and funded to build a Necessary transit station for Cumberland. If they don't want an entire line, at least a station to connect this huge Asset to the Metro Area and the remainder of the city.
Cumberland has a transfer station already, with Arts Center connector, and both MARTA and CCT busses taking that route. It's only a 3/4 mile walk to the stadium, and will be less when the new pedestrian bridge over I-285 is built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The Cumberland Transfer station is at least 2 miles from the stadium site.
Circulator shuttles will just get caught in game day/commuter traffic.
It is 3/4 mile, not 2 miles. Google Map view even says 0.9 miles even though it is over-estimating because it isn't using the already extant pedestrian Bridge over Cobb Pkwy. The final route will probably be even less than 3/4 since it can cut diagonally through the Galleria to the new pedestrian bridge https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cumb...ec6a70!1m0!3e2

Really only disabled people, elderly and possibly people with really young kids will need the shuttle. When it's raining, there will be a game delay anyway.
The average person can walk the 3/4 mile.

I think the challenge is really that they'll need to add stock that will otherwise be sitting idle on normal days.

Quote:

The Perimeter connector was proposed in the 2040 CTP list as a short term need so I'm trying to find the East Cobb SPLOST list to see if it was included. If it wasn't, then it may be in jeopardy.

Anyway, the Cobb 50 line almost connects to the 148 line in Sandy Springs, so that a short walk between them is all that's needed. I think they should just make both lines meet at the river since the 50 line turns a corner there. Either the 148 line should head down to Aker's Mill then turn around on Interstate N / RiverEdge or the Cobb line can do the same. Or both.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-30-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
It is 3/4 mile, not 2 miles. Google Map view even says 0.9 miles even though it is over-estimating because it isn't using the already extant pedestrian Bridge over Cobb Pkwy. The final route will probably be even less than 3/4 since it can cut diagonally through the Galleria to the new pedestrian bridge https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cumb...ec6a70!1m0!3e2
That's cutting through a parking lot, the least safe area for pedestrians. Also, that is to the proposed entrance of the entertainment district, not the stadium gate. People make the same argument for the current MARTA-run Braves Shuttle and it drops off under the connector.
Quote:
Really only disabled people, elderly and possibly people with really young kids will need the shuttle. When it's raining, there will be a game delay anyway.
The average person can walk the 3/4 mile.
They already complain about walking nearly this distance from GA State Station to Turner Field.
Quote:
I think the challenge is really that they'll need to add stock that will otherwise be sitting idle on normal days.
And hire more trained and certified bus drivers.
Quote:
Anyway, the Cobb 50 line almost connects to the 148 line in Sandy Springs, so that a short walk between them is all that's needed. I think they should just make both lines meet at the river since the 50 line turns a corner there. Either the 148 line should head down to Aker's Mill then turn around on Interstate N / RiverEdge or the Cobb line can do the same. Or both.
No demand rider is going to walk between buses and hope they did not miss the bus. Hell they complain about transferring from a train to bus at Five Points.

What I get from your examples is: Some of these are acceptable at the new stadium, but not at Turner Field?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
The Braves had made it clear for years they were not satisfied with Turner Field, located just south of downtown near some of the city's poorest neighborhoods. The team frequently cited a lack of neighborhood development, complaints about the closest MARTA rapid-transit station being about a mile away, and the inability to secure more parking spaces.

Braves planning new suburban stadium in 2017
Unless there's some reason to believe that this AP story is inaccurate, the Braves absolutely will not be satisfied with a transit station a mile away from the new stadium.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
So when there is a Sunday game, i guess no one will be able to take CCT to the game.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:16 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
So when there is a Sunday game, i guess no one will be able to take CCT to the game.
Not unless they change that.
But why should they when absolutely everyone just wants to drive and get out of nasty public transportation!? [/sarcasm]

Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
That's cutting through a parking lot, the least safe area for pedestrians. Also, that is to the proposed entrance of the entertainment district, not the stadium gate. People make the same argument for the current MARTA-run Braves Shuttle and it drops off under the connector.
It'd be mostly sidewalk, since it's mostly walking alongside the mall, then walking through a part of the parking lot meant for people coming from conventions, which have a LOT of people crossing the pedestrian bridge. Even if for no particular reason, you routed people around the edge of the mall loop, and built a sidewalk there, it makes the route shorter (0.8mi according to Google maps). So I'm not sure where 2mi come from.

Quote:
They already complain about walking nearly this distance from GA State Station to Turner Field.
I've seen hordes of people walking along Pulliman St and Central Ave to cross the highway. That'd be intimidating to me as well with the way people fly through there to get on the highway.

Perhaps if people don't want to walk 3/4 of a mile, there's demand for paid parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Unless there's some reason to believe that this AP story is inaccurate, the Braves absolutely will not be satisfied with a transit station a mile away from the new stadium.
If so, then maybe we'll get a 2nd transfer station in Cumberland out of it. The county is already talking about putting a police precinct and fire precinct in the mixed-use development.

Quote:
With all the buses not in use, I figure this is the day they'll most likely be able to run a lot of buses for an event like this.

Quote:

No demand rider is going to walk between buses and hope they did not miss the bus. Hell they complain about transferring from a train to bus at Five Points.
For this Sandy Springs to Cumberland Power's Ferry to Interstate North loop, they'd need shared stops.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:42 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
It'd be mostly sidewalk, since it's mostly walking alongside the mall, then walking through a part of the parking lot meant for people coming from conventions, which have a LOT of people crossing the pedestrian bridge. Even if for no particular reason, you routed people around the edge of the mall loop, and built a sidewalk there, it makes the route shorter (0.8mi according to Google maps). So I'm not sure where 2mi come from.

I've seen hordes of people walking along Pulliman St and Central Ave to cross the highway. That'd be intimidating to me as well with the way people fly through there to get on the highway.

Perhaps if people don't want to walk 3/4 of a mile, there's demand for paid parking.

If so, then maybe we'll get a 2nd transfer station in Cumberland out of it. The county is already talking about putting a police precinct and fire precinct in the mixed-use development.

With all the buses not in use, I figure this is the day they'll most likely be able to run a lot of buses for an event like this.

For this Sandy Springs to Cumberland Power's Ferry to Interstate North loop, they'd need shared stops.
I just couldnt see CCT doing that so there buses can be uses 90 mins before and after a game and a couple during the game. If anything I could see MARTA running a shuttle, but you will have to pay a premium to use it since it will be going to Cobb County.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
I just couldnt see CCT doing that so there buses can be uses 90 mins before and after a game and a couple during the game. If anything I could see MARTA running a shuttle, but you will have to pay a premium to use it since it will be going to Cobb County.
Doubtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta